Duke
Duke UltimaDork
6/2/14 12:25 p.m.

Hey, all: Looking for vendor recommendations for a premounted wheel/tire package in the 16x7 range. Will not be anything earthshattering, and I have had decent service from both TR and DTD. I just need these in the next month or two, and neither place has any particularly exciting options available now or in the near future. Plus, I just like to have choices.

Anybody have other places to shop, within reasonable shipping distance of the Philadelphia area? Thanks.

trucke
trucke Reader
6/2/14 1:05 p.m.

try http://www.treadzone.com/

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
6/2/14 1:20 p.m.

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind for later. That looks good for competition tires, but I need street tires with a wheel package.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
6/2/14 1:33 p.m.

I have looked at Treaddepot but, I have never bought from them.

solfly
solfly Reader
6/2/14 1:45 p.m.

buywheelstoday.com has been good for me

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/2/14 1:59 p.m.

I have bought a number of pair of tires from www.tirebuyer.com
This website is actually American Tire Wholesalers(ATW), a company that supplies tire stores, dealerships and for me, here in Ohio, they supply Wal-Mart.
Seems that ATW has started a website to compete. When I place an order, the tires are shipped free directly to the tire shop, in my area that I choose. The website tells me how much that shop will charge for mount/balance which was most recently $16.50 per tire. The ATW truck brings out the tires to the shop (the same shop it is likely going to anyway.) I have had the tires as soon as next day.
The mount/balance charges are paid directly to the shop, tires themselves are paid for online. In my 3 transactions I have never had the shop try to charge me more or any shenanigans.

ATW/Tirebuyer sells rims too but I have never shopped them.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
6/2/14 2:45 p.m.

Treaddepot seems like they have a pretty good hookup for me, but I will also try Tirebuyer. BWT seemed pretty steep. Thanks, all!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/3/14 9:10 a.m.

Bummer that Tire Rack and Discount Tire don't have what you need.

I'm always amazed at how efficient Tire Rack runs it's business. I ordered two BFG Comp Sport 2s for my M3 yesterday afternoon..........they arrived TODAY! It took them less than 24 hours--- and this is just regular UPS ground shipping.

I understand they have warehouses in various regions, but this sort of efficiency is just mind blowing. Well done Tire Rack!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/14 9:14 a.m.

I bought from Tire Rack almost exclusively for 25 years, the only exceptions being when I wanted a brand of wheel that they didn't carry. Then a couple of years ago, they built a warehouse in my state and now I get charged sales tax, which takes away most of the price advantage. Even before that, I would often have tires at my door within 24 hours.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
6/3/14 9:15 a.m.

I agree they are efficient, but their budget wheel selection leaves a lot to be desired at the moment.

It also kind of annoys me to live within 15 minutes' drive of their Delaware warehouse, yet be forced to pay $100 shipping because I'm not allowed to pick my orders up at their dock.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v9T4q42Q9bchpLNn3UlT27ZyLEtfNAb3zsuuf6Ov2ouHeDMDTbWRr0iH3sX67JqG