1 2
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/13/21 6:45 a.m.

Gotta grab a battery today or tomorrow. 

I ised to swear by the advance silver series, but they don't seem to exist anymore. 

Whats the good one? This is a daily driver, mazda6, nothing special. 

Have all major parts store chains, tractor supply, lowes, and Walmart in town. 

Of itvwas a car that i didn't depend on (like my daughter's truck, or a toy) i wouldn't care and od buy the $50 Walmart special. But....

So. Who do we love?

I've bought a couple of the mid level Walmart everstarts. They seem pretty decent. Interstate used to make a good battery too. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/13/21 6:59 a.m.

Wife's car last got a battery from Rural King. Often they have great sale prices on batteries. 

For my F-250, the last battery came from Wal-Mart. I parked around back and came through the car service door. I brought my own tools and swapped it in the parking lot so as to not have to wait on the core deposit. 

johndej
johndej Dork
12/13/21 7:29 a.m.

Gone to Costco for interstate the past couple of times I've needed one.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/13/21 7:32 a.m.

In reply to johndej :

No costco anywhere nearby,unfortunately. 

Anywhere else sell interstate? 

Bob&john: mid level Walmart in the cold y'all get? What kind of lifespan are you seeing?

wae
wae UberDork
12/13/21 7:35 a.m.

I've also had a couple Interstate batteries from Costco.  The local one doesn't always have a lot of variety in stock, so it can be hit or miss.  Menards carries a pretty decent selection of the AC Delco line of batteries and they seem to be pretty decent.  I have also had pretty good luck with junkyard batteries from the local pick-and-pull.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/13/21 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I just walked out there. I bought the Max Level at Wal-Mart with 3 year full replacement and the 2 more years prorated.

It was manufactured April of 2019. All good for the 2.5 years I've had it.

It seems Walmart has 3 levels with only the Maxx level getting additional prorate:

1. The EverStart Value battery has the least cold-cranking amps than the other variants and is a good option if you are looking for a cheap battery. It comes with a free replacement warranty for 1 year.
  2. The EverStart Plus battery is another good range from Walmart for which they offer a 2-year replacement warranty.
  3. The EverStart Maxx battery is the premium range from the store and has a lot of options if you are ready to spend some dollars on your car battery. And, as such, they come with a replacement warranty of 3 years

source

Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to johndej :

No costco anywhere nearby,unfortunately. 

Anywhere else sell interstate? 

Bob&john: mid level Walmart in the cold y'all get? What kind of lifespan are you seeing?

The oldest I have is at 2 years and still holding strong. The best battery I've had to date have been AC Delco from the GM dealers. Her Sierra is pushing 7 years on the same battery.

Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy
Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy PowerDork
12/13/21 8:42 a.m.

All I have to contribute is avoid the Duralast brand from AutoZone.  Even their "Gold" level is junk.  I've had two of them develop a dead cell and take out an alternator. 

In reply to Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy :

Which is sad. 15 years ago they were among the best. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/13/21 8:55 a.m.

The last few batteries I've bought have been Napa (prorated return) for the Galaxie, optima for the ranch wagon, rural king agm (exide) for the Avalanche. Ex wife's suburban ralphed a battery over the summer and she put in a Walmart something.

No complaints on any of those I mentioned.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/13/21 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

You mentioned in the other post that you're driving 250 mile today.  I on the other hand am at the desk avoiding real work so I did some research...

Your 2012 Mazda 6 w/ 4 cyl calls for a 96R battery.  
Your zip code: 28002

Walmart
$99.84 but only have the 2 yr warranty version. 590cca
In stock in your town.
It seems like the don't offer the Maxx Version (3yr) in the 96R size.

Advance:
$189 for 3yr Gold model 590cca

AZone:
$99.99 for value, 500cca
$159.99 for 2yr, 550 cca
$189.99 for 3 yr, 590cca

Oreilly:
$159 for 590cca (not real clear about warranty.)

NAPA:
Searching with your zip code for 1st Street location shows:
$169.99 for 2yr, 600cca

Interstate:
Putting in your zip code brought up local shops:
$165 suggested retail for 2.5 yr with 3.5 more yr pro-rated, 590cca
The site didn't say if anyone had one in stock

I seem to remember now that I bought the Wal-Mart because it was a combo of best CCA and best warranty (or warranty value) with the best availability to get it NOW.  

For the heck of it...
You don't seem to have Rural King near you but...
$129.99 with 4yr full replace, 600cca
In their weekly ad they are advertising:
$89 Gold Batteries (in popular sizes...but not yours) with 2yr full and 3yr more, prorated
$49 Silver Batteries with 1 yr and 4yr more, prorated

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/13/21 9:34 a.m.

I've had great luck with the Walmart EverStart batteries. If it's a car I won't be keeping long it gets the "value" line. Usually only around $60. Otherwise the "Maxx" line is around $100 with a 3 year warranty. 

Project Farm did a battery test on various battery brands, including the expensive AGM brands and the Walmart batteries was one of the best performers. 

Opti
Opti Dork
12/13/21 10:08 a.m.

90 percent of the batteries youll find are made by Johnson Control. I look for the best price with good specs and buy from a big brand, that way if I lose a battery on a road trip ive got someone close by that can warranty it. This has normally led me to buy them at wal mart.

I did buy a Delco for my gmt400, im ashamed to admit it, but it was pretty much solely because it said ACDelco and it was going into a GM.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/21 10:14 a.m.

I had an Everstart MAXX for 10 years. It worked fine so I never looked at the date cose, when it finally pooped out I was pretty stunned. 08-18

Dusterbd13-michael
12/13/21 10:24 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

You are an awesome, awesome man.

70mi in so far, first meeting in a few.

I think yall sold me on Walmart good one. Ill hrab one on the way home. Along with a nee ground cable. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/13/21 10:34 a.m.

I missed Tractor Supply:

Yes, in stock, in your town
$159.99 for 2 yr, 590 cca

Walmart is $60 cheaper and I'll bet it is the same Johnson Controls battery.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/21 10:44 a.m.

This is from a few years back when I replaced the Motorcraft battery in the Taurus X with a Walmart battery:

Tell me those aren't the exact same battery.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/13/21 10:53 a.m.

Years ago, my sister and her husband split up.  How did that affect me?

He was a factory line worker at the Johnson Controls battery factory outside Toledo, OH.  As an employee, he could get $15 batteries and I had him get one for my old '95 Volvo 850 wagon.  This battery arrived with absolutely zero stickers on any kind.  I remember I scratched  into the case the date I put the battery into service.

I got 10 years out of that battery!  

They made everyone's batteries there.  

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/13/21 12:30 p.m.

Ate the OE AC Delco the same as the Menards replacements?

I've had good luck with Deka too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/21 12:45 p.m.

How does Everstart Maxx hold up to track use? Any sloshing problems? Have to keep an eye out for good options in case the Toyobaru's factory battery fails...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/13/21 1:18 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

This is from a few years back when I replaced the Motorcraft battery in the Taurus X with a Walmart battery:

Tell me those aren't the exact same battery.

They're all the same. Seriously, there's like 3, maybe down to 2, companies that make batteries anymore and everybody just puts their own branding on it

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
12/13/21 1:37 p.m.

Costco is my preference. Sams club would be second choice, they are cheaper than walmart. I did buy one of the ultra cheap 39$ 1 year batteries from walmart for my POS lexus I was planning to sell. 2 years later it was still going fine. 

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
12/13/21 1:46 p.m.

I have been very pleased with my autozone Duralast Platinum AGM battery.  I've run it in seasonal vehicles that sit all winter (but fire right up in the spring) and in my daily driver.  They are a bit pricey, but it has really held up well.  The fact that it's sealed / not spillable is also great.

One thing I've noticed is their AGM line does not have the full selection of group sizes, so you might have to get a little bit creative to make something fit.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/13/21 2:08 p.m.

Costco Interstate batteries are $99.00.

Sam's Duracell was $109 for same size.  

Home Despot carry's Exide, but I don't know their price.  
I refuse to buy Walmart batteries after one leaked and ate up my Nissan  truck years ago.  

i have long wondered if Johnson Control batteries are all the same or if they are made to different specifications. 

Napa batteries are good quality and not JC.  Qq.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
so4GiWkGcdEOsbPbob7kHX2f6tlWndaPaNRbMFST137M2s45fitHjfKPmN27TS4d