1 2 3
Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/6/15 4:26 p.m.

I was inspired by the Stupid car features thread. For my E36, one of the cool features that it has is an active hill descent assist where in 1st gear, it will crawl down a steep driveway, very cool. The bad part is that I just found out about it a couple of weeks ago.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/15 4:29 p.m.

I like how the e36 wipers slow down automatically if you stop or significantly slow down. Speed back up and they do too. Not rain sensing or anything, just totally speed based. I thought it was a neat trick for a 1993 car.

I'm not sure that the e36 qualifies for the 'average car' designation in my book though... Id call it a pretty great car, even without the wiper feature.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
1/6/15 4:38 p.m.

Just about anything with a manuel trans.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/15 4:40 p.m.

What about surprisingly good seats? I find that is a pretty good redeeming "feature" for an otherwise bland and unispiring E36 M3box.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/6/15 4:41 p.m.

I recently figured out that my Saab's wipers are smarter than me. If you back up while the wipers are on, it will put the rear wiper on as well while you're in reverse.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/6/15 4:41 p.m.

I didn't want to make the title really long, but it can also include making a good car great.

In reply to rcutclif: I didn't know they do that either! Wow!

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
1/6/15 4:47 p.m.

Features? Umm. My jeep has A/C. My miata doesnt... I still like the miata better.

Spare me hill assist and other "nannies"

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
1/6/15 4:59 p.m.

Turbocharger

SEADave
SEADave Reader
1/6/15 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

What is this about hill assist in an E36? How do you activate it?

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
1/6/15 5:11 p.m.

Kia and Saab have a little switch to put it in reverse.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
1/6/15 6:17 p.m.

The 626's moving center vent

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/15 6:26 p.m.

my disco has a pretty neat trick with the rear wiper. If your wipers are on and you shift into reverse.. it will give the rear window two wipes

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/6/15 6:40 p.m.

Plastic body panels

Ease of maintenance/no need for maintenance is a cool feature.

Things that make the Saturn good in this area:

Belt tensioner (vs. the alternator tensioned belt nonsense in the Miata, my Z32, B14 Sentra, etc.)
Self-bleeding clutch hydraulics.
Drain plug + spin-on filter + dipstick fill tube for Auto trans.
Hydraulic lifters.
Timing chain.

Stuff I've seen in other cars I like:

Bolt-on wheel bearing/hub assemblies, even on driven wheels.
No belts! (3G Prius)
Capacitive touch indicator lights for steering wheel buttons (3G Prius)
Plugs that last 120k miles

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
1/6/15 6:47 p.m.
  • A factory suspension that doesn't make the car feel like a wallowing pig.
  • A timing chain.
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
1/6/15 6:47 p.m.

A nice sounding factory stereo. (Subaru is terrible at this) Good factory headlights.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
1/6/15 7:17 p.m.

The seats in my 91 honda civic felt nice on my bottom.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/6/15 7:21 p.m.

In reply to SEADave: You just put it in 1st gear, clutch disengaged, and I believe the ECU uses the brakes so it doesn't pick up momentum when driving down a steep driveway.

In reply to Luxinterior: lol. But, your screen name indicates that you want some luxury, what the deuce?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
1/6/15 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

Are sure its not just engine braking doing that?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/6/15 7:28 p.m.

Velour makes everything better. Everything.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/6/15 7:33 p.m.

In reply to jstein77: I'm sure.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/6/15 7:35 p.m.

I absolutely loved the Heads Up Display in my Grand Prix. I wish all my cars had it.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/6/15 7:40 p.m.

Light weight

RWD.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/15 8:04 p.m.

Sliding sunvisors.

Notice when you move the visor to the sie window you get that uncovered area where the visor need to be 6 inches longer? My 1984 S-10's visor would slide on the rod to cover that. Never seen another car do that.

Will
Will SuperDork
1/6/15 8:22 p.m.

LS1. It turns a 4th gen F-body from "oh my God this thing is awful" to "Sort of want."

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/6/15 8:44 p.m.
  1. On cold-weather package subies: windshield wiper de-icing strips. Basically defroster strips that run under the wipers in "off" position. So when you're warming up your car on a snowy warning, it melts the snow on the wipers that tends to stick there when brushing off the windshield.

2. oil filter on top. Why any car still has the filter down below is beyond me.

3. fold-down rear seats. I never understand why there are coupes/sedans that don't have a full fold-down rear seat to fit larger items through the trunk into the back seat.

4. manual transmission should go without saying.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g6U7FObcXjAY7pVr7PbIfWU1kvPLa9nTB8fDp6Em2VeHFKxNI1ian54XR7ovXoki