1 2 3 4
JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/27/08 3:45 a.m.

So we know a few. A lot of these are cult classics, so I'm sure there are some that's lots of people on here haven't even heard of.

Off the top of my head- Le Mans Grand Prix (we'll get these two obvious ones out of the way) Smokey and the Bandit Vanishing Point Two-Lane Blacktop The original Gone in 60 Seconds The Gumball Rally

I always considered American Graffiti and Bullitt more like stories that used the cars as props, rather than centering around them.

What else you heard of/like?

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/27/08 4:02 a.m.

Mad Max

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/27/08 4:23 a.m.

Here we go again:

Deathproof, Bullitt, Italian Job (original), Christine, Metal Skin (Aussie), Running on Empty (Aussie), American Graffiti

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
12/27/08 7:31 a.m.

This may sound silly, but check out the orginal Herbie movies...Just turn down the volume.

Leo

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
12/27/08 8:05 a.m.

Pink Floyd's La Carrera PanAmericana, La Carrera Panamericana (Adrian Paul from the Highlander Series), Born to Run (Richard Grieco), Banzai Runner (Dean Stockwell), Fast Lane Fever (Aussie), Hot Rod aka "Rebel of the Road" (Gregg Henry?), RED LINE (Chad McQueen), Winning (Paul Newman), The Hollywood Knights, (Tony Danza, Project X), Return to Macon County (Don Johnson,Nick Nolte), The Cannonball Run movies, No Man's Land (Charlie Sheen)

I've got some more....somewhere

JoeyM
JoeyM New Reader
12/27/08 12:34 p.m.

catch me if you can http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097029/

TJ
TJ Reader
12/27/08 1:49 p.m.

not cars, but close...The fastest Indian.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
12/27/08 1:59 p.m.

No fast and furiuos, Tokyo drift???? Cummon guys.

Please, I'm just kidding. After sitting through that first one, I couldn't watch the other 2 (?)

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
12/27/08 2:01 p.m.

Not to hijack the post but..........did anyone else notice while watching the fast and furious that each drag race had about 12 shifts and lasted about 45 seconds? I loved the part where the rivets broke loose the the floor fell out. After seeing that movie, I went out and replaced all my floor rivets with screws!! I suggest you do the same.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/27/08 2:23 p.m.

My biggest comment on the "Fast and the Furious" was they copied "Point Break" completely, but used cars instead of surfboards.

Think about it, extreme sports, gets tight with a cool gang, his workmates raid the wrong bad guys, it turns out his crew are the real bad guys, our hero backs his buds against the procedure of his job. Flash to a scene in a "safe" foreign country for the final scene.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/27/08 3:28 p.m.

Watching Fast and the Furious was like having visual diarrhea.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/27/08 3:33 p.m.

Let me add Days of Thunder. Weirdo Tom Cruise and not exactly believable, but worth adding to the list.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/27/08 4:01 p.m.

Driven with stallone bad movie cool car scenes.

Opus
Opus HalfDork
12/27/08 4:21 p.m.

Cannon Ball Run

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
12/27/08 6:00 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: Pink Floyd's La Carrera PanAmericana, La Carrera Panamericana (Adrian Paul from the Highlander Series), .....

Where can you get these?

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
12/27/08 6:01 p.m.

Aloha Bobby and Rose

Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
12/27/08 6:08 p.m.

The 1954 version of "The Fast and the Furious", with XK120's, Allards, etc.

Not quite car movies, but ...

"Christine"

"Harold and Maude" had a nice custom XKE, and some hooning around in a real hearse.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
12/27/08 6:50 p.m.

Eat My Dust - it starred Ron Howard

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/27/08 6:55 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: The 1954 version of "The Fast and the Furious", with XK120's, Allards, etc.

last time i looked, walmart had it for a dollar. I need to get it just for the sake of having it, while they still cary it.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
12/27/08 6:57 p.m.

Vanishing point(1971), best car chase movie ever!!!!

92dxman
92dxman Reader
12/27/08 7:25 p.m.

Ronin has a badass car chase. Even though it's Pixar, Cars is a really good movie.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/27/08 7:37 p.m.

Wow, this many posts and not a single person has mention Rendevouz?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
12/27/08 9:05 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: Watching Fast and the Furious was like having visual diarrhea.

My own take on it was that the first movie did for car movies what Plan Nine from Outer Space did for science fiction. It's one of the better accidental comedies of the '90s. I've had quite a few debates with friends about what the best funny moment is. I think it's the flying floorboard, though other nominations I've heard include the reference to a MoTec exhaust and the time Vin Diesel's gang acts all shocked to see the Supra has a 2JZ-GTE engine in it. The dialog in that scene would have made a lot more sense if Paul Walker had brought a Cressida...

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
12/27/08 9:25 p.m.

Rendezvous

edit: just noticed the Reverend's post. Sorry.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
12/27/08 10:30 p.m.
Varkwso wrote:
JFX001 wrote: Pink Floyd's La Carrera PanAmericana, La Carrera Panamericana (Adrian Paul from the Highlander Series), .....
Where can you get these?

Tough call, Amazon maybe? The Highlander racing one is on the Season 6 DVD of the Series.....from what I've read.I got it from the Highlander website a long time ago.

The Pink Floyd VHS came from a Mom & Pop video store that I hounded them about for a year or so. 2 bucks.

Pretty cool racer/documentary from both.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K0hppTQdy016XOWrZRXivzvYmDnoEeJRq75jxpBUJnB1JwEZIxC3EI6pBOwOR6JC