1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/29/18 8:38 a.m.

Update: The overheating issue has been traced to a very non-functional water pump.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/29/18 10:12 a.m.

That’s a little more left than what I pulled out of the dexcooled Jeep. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
8/29/18 10:41 a.m.

Looks more like one of those throwing stars.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/29/18 11:02 a.m.

Egad... for some reason I assumed the issue with Dexcool was similar to VAG G12 coolant: "doesn't play well with others."

One reason why I am extremely picky about who I'll let wrench on my TDI.  In over 300K miles, it has only ever seen correct pink VAG coolant mixed with distilled water (changed every 100K miles by me).  Every time I open the cooling system to do a timing belt service, everything still looks new.  Similar for the BMWs and MINI's I've worked on with BMW coolant (blue stuff).

I read about and seen pictures of "peanut butter" coolant in VAG and BMW cars, but invariably traced back to an ignorant owner/mechanic not topping off with the correct coolant - using "green stuff" is a big no-no.  We made that mistake with my ex's '97 M3 years ago when I was still learning the ropes of European car service.  It took a bunch of flushes to get the green stuff out after we found out about the mistake. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/30/18 8:18 a.m.
Ian F said:

Egad... for some reason I assumed the issue with Dexcool was similar to VAG G12 coolant: "doesn't play well with others."

One reason why I am extremely picky about who I'll let wrench on my TDI.  In over 300K miles, it has only ever seen correct pink VAG coolant mixed with distilled water (changed every 100K miles by me).  Every time I open the cooling system to do a timing belt service, everything still looks new.  Similar for the BMWs and MINI's I've worked on with BMW coolant (blue stuff).

I read about and seen pictures of "peanut butter" coolant in VAG and BMW cars, but invariably traced back to an ignorant owner/mechanic not topping off with the correct coolant - using "green stuff" is a big no-no.  We made that mistake with my ex's '97 M3 years ago when I was still learning the ropes of European car service.  It took a bunch of flushes to get the green stuff out after we found out about the mistake. 

That is what I'd thought too - some sort of chemical reaction between the Dexcool and green stuff. Apparently this isn't the case; it's more of an issue with Dexcool losing its corrosion protection and having rust build up in the motor.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
109kVAnjhpjdGcO061WLSrO58iF448o7f86Utxx2tlC1bW1nVVveysuGmsluQDbv