Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/16 9:47 a.m.

As you know, I have been plotting to sell my Javelin in order to fund buying an unfinished 69 AMX that my dad has, in Florida. After much deliberations from both of us, we decided not to do it. His 69 Ambassador is rusted too far to save, and everything that the AMX needs is in (and new) in the Ambo, including the 360, Torque-Flite, and disc brakes. He's going to swap all of the parts from the Ambo onto the unfinished AMX to be his new daily driver, and I'm just going to man up and actually finish (paint!) my car. It has been in the shop for the last 2 months, and it will be time to start a build thread soon. Hint: Expect some competition in CAM-T in SCCA if you're in Portland this year.

It's the right decision for both of us. Besides, they made my car a diecast!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/1/16 9:50 a.m.

Excellent! Looking forward to the project getting going again. I always like reading about this car.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/16 10:09 a.m.

NICE!!!!!

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/1/16 10:20 a.m.

I like the Javelin better than an AMX anyway! (I know that might be sacrilege for an AMC guy, but oh well)

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/1/16 10:27 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Besides, they made my car a diecast!

Cool! They even got your forum name on the package for you!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/1/16 10:34 a.m.

Oh well, no big loss.

I still like the AMX proportions a bit better though, but hey.

Javelin
3/1/16 11:52 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Oh well, no big loss. I still like the AMX proportions a bit better though, but hey.

I do, too, but it just didn't make any sense. Even buying the car at the family discount (what Dad has in it), after I built a motor and trans, had it painted, and spent $$$$ on all of the other little things, I'd still have to spend an ungodly amount of money to ship the thing up here. Penciled out, I'd be ahead to just buy a done one up here at full market value.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
3/1/16 12:21 p.m.

There is no such thing as too rusted to save. There is such a thing as it's not financially viable to try and save it. I've seen people restore some of the biggest rust buckets on the planet, barely any factory steel left.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/1/16 12:53 p.m.

Bring the competition. Duster should be back on track at the end of summer.

Javelin
3/1/16 2:34 p.m.

In reply to ncjay:

Ambassadors are unibody. "Restoring" one would consist of finding another one...

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/1/16 2:40 p.m.

Good news!

How did you land that die cast deal anyway?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/1/16 5:44 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to ncjay: Ambassadors are unibody. "Restoring" one would consist of finding another one...

And I can't imagine Ambassador repair panels are common.

Does sound like keeping the Javelin is the best option.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/1/16 6:00 p.m.

I am glad to hear the Javelin project is back on track.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/1/16 8:46 p.m.

Booyah, winner winner, chicken dinner

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IMUjUd5fJc12rvhYxfHmSTZqWc6gFhvcOH4alYPiwbwBiduBS5qH3ltuBT1wU6PL