1 2
projectmg
projectmg New Reader
12/19/22 7:58 p.m.

Hi all! 

I'm looking for some info and opinions on well-handling, light and fun to drive cars from pre-75 for a buy-in of under or around $7000 for a decent example, to be built up as a platform with suspension, brake, and engine modifications and upgrades. 

Any suggestions would be great, but what come to mind mainly for me are MGBs/Midgets/Spitfire LBCs and the Opel GT, as cheap, light, and with decent parts availability and aftermarket. Of course though, the LBCs are questionable in their reliability, the GTs are rare, and both are down on power... The VW Type 3 also seems interesting with the huge aftermarket, general reliability and weight over the rear wheels, but is very down on power initially.

The main reason to be pre-75 is to not have to deal with CA emissions or BAR in the case of swaps, and to allow to build the car up as much as is wanted. I do have an '84 Fiero that would be a decent candidate, but it always seems to have issues and with the 'duke it is quite down on power and due to smog can't be modified significantly to help that.

My use case would primarily be as a fun weekend car to rev out and enjoy on the backroads, and with some use in autocross as well. 

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/19/22 8:09 p.m.

I would look toward a Nissan 240z but a good runner under $7k might be a challenge as these increase in value.  

I think for the US, the first year VW Rabbits were actually 1975 model.  I think that means they do not qualify.  Too bad because an old tub (and vin plate) could be updated in a number of ways.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/19/22 8:27 p.m.

Do you live in California, or just avoiding the hardware?

On the top end of the price for a good one would be an Alfa Spider.  Good engine, well placed rear axle, and can be made to be really quick.  Not as fast as a Miata, but still quite quick.

I would think a Fiat Spider would be similar, but I'm not very familiar with those.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
12/19/22 8:52 p.m.

VW Rabbit with a 16v engine swap from a Scirocco.  Very light with a decently torquey engine, and it would be legal to run in FSP.

Or a Spridget would be fun too.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/22 9:14 p.m.

Porsche 914 would be my go to. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/22 9:18 p.m.

Datsun 510?

johndej
johndej SuperDork
12/19/22 9:38 p.m.

Karmann ghia, bmw 2002, corvair, porsche 914

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/19/22 9:43 p.m.

Early Mustang (coupe not FB or convertible), Falcon, Cougar, Camaro or Firebird (2nd gen).

For Ford products look at Opentracker, Mike Maier, or my favorite, Street or Track for components depending on class and budget.  Can't help with GM stuff but I know people make all kinds of stuff for them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/22 9:49 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

You can find those in decent shape for under $7k?

Most older Mustangs I have seen, even the expensive ones that never had rust repairs done, were a bit soft-shelled, as were the F-bodies.

I mean, if you can find pre-Torino Cougars for under $7k, I have some strange emotion combining incredulousness and a newfound goal in life.  I like the BGN version of the G-body, I like the Infiniti version of the Sentra SE-R, I like the Volvo version of the Mitsubishi Lancer, and I like the Mercury version of the Mustang.  Especially if it has the rim-blow steering wheel, which is equal parts annoying, charming, and teenage-humor giggleworthy.

(srsly, it takes effort to park a car with a rim-blow steering wheel without accidentally honking the horn at least twice)

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
12/19/22 9:55 p.m.

A 240z may be out of your budget, so look for a 1974 260z or a 1975 280z. More bang for your buck in essentially the same s30 platform.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/22 10:14 p.m.

Fiat X1/9 was introduced in 72. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/19/22 10:18 p.m.

VW or BMW 2002?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/19/22 10:42 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to wawazat :

You can find those in decent shape for under $7k?

Most older Mustangs I have seen, even the expensive ones that never had rust repairs done, were a bit soft-shelled, as were the F-bodies.

I mean, if you can find pre-Torino Cougars for under $7k, I have some strange emotion combining incredulousness and a newfound goal in life.  I like the BGN version of the G-body, I like the Infiniti version of the Sentra SE-R, I like the Volvo version of the Mitsubishi Lancer, and I like the Mercury version of the Mustang.  Especially if it has the rim-blow steering wheel, which is equal parts annoying, charming, and teenage-humor giggleworthy.

(srsly, it takes effort to park a car with a rim-blow steering wheel without accidentally honking the horn at least twice)

I clicked on to the most popular Cougar forum and found this AZ car well under the OP's budget.

First gen Cougar project

Cougars haven't all been hit with the Mustang tax.  The limited production, high HP, cars  have taken off-Eliminator, GT-E, big block cars, yes, but small block base cars are still out there.  Cougars use much of the widely available Mustang stuff with a few exceptions (rear springs and shocks mainly).

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
12/19/22 11:35 p.m.

Datsun 510s in decent shape (read not total rust buckets) are likely beyond the 7K budget.

If you can find a Datsun 1200 or B210 they are less popular but they are also light. 1200s are 1565lbs and early B210s are 1900lbs.

Both platforms have some pretty easy motor swaps that will greatly increase the performance.  You can also turbocharge the A-series engine and easily get 150hp at the wheels and still remain streetable. Datsun1200.com as loads of information.

I also add Pintos; while they tend to be unloved they also have loads of potential.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
12/20/22 12:07 a.m.

An Opel Manta A would be a solid choice.

A Fiat 124 spider will get you 99% of what an Alfa spider offers for 50% of the cost.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
12/20/22 8:25 a.m.

Triumph TR6? If you stretch your budget a little you might be able to get into a Mini but that might be a little on the pricey side. Maybe you could find an early Civic or a Datsun Roadster?

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
12/20/22 8:30 a.m.

If you're looking to make significant aftermarket upgrades, a domestic pony/muscle car or old Porsche are going to be hard to beat. Don't fear an old truck either! C10s have massive aftermarket, and old Fords are common recipients of CVPI swaps to easily modernize the powertrain and underpinnings, and they can pretty much all fit huge rubber.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
12/20/22 8:52 a.m.

For AX the 914 cannot be beat.  With a set of sticky tires it will beat boxsters.  But finding one for that money would be tough now.  Opels had a panhard rod in the rear end, cornered real well in one direction and lifted the inside wheel in the other.  

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
12/20/22 9:44 a.m.

ACVW will be over cambered or camber limited in the rear(depending on which side of 1969), but you can get crazy with track width and tire size really easy. Dollars per displacement is pretty low too if you want to build a bigger engine.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/20/22 10:05 a.m.
Stampie said:

Fiat X1/9 was introduced in 72. 

That's my vote.  Should be a good inventory of them around - many already built for AX - and parts supply is not the worst.

Plus they will take engine swaps from likely Japanese cars.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/22 11:11 a.m.

Did 510's come in 4-door?  That could be a ticket for keeping the budget down.

Pinto might be good.  They actually drove really nice for the time.

'Otherwise I was thinking the 4-door version of something they make a lot of parts for that are mostly used on the 2-door.

Also GM Colonnades are known to be decent.

Or as STM317 said, C10.  Go longbed and you can save a lot of dough.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
12/20/22 11:34 a.m.

Spridget is a good choice. 

The only Fiero I'd compete in is the 88 GT or Formula. The iron duke is crap and the suspension on the 87 and prior were meh But that wouldn't serve your pre-smog goal.

The X1/9 is another excellent choice. Or an old Lotus 7 or clone thereof, but that might exceed your price range.

mjlogan
mjlogan Reader
12/20/22 12:55 p.m.

Capri

Add modern 4 cyl and boost if you need more

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
12/20/22 1:01 p.m.

I have my eye on an early fiat 124 coupe,seem to be good value if a clean non rusty one is found.

Parts supply seems plentifull and not crazy money.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
12/20/22 1:02 p.m.

I really like Capri's but I don't think they would be that great because of the semi-bizarre front suspension, overly-simple rear leaf spring suspension, and not entirely great brakes.  This judgments changes if serious suspension work is allowable.  They do have a pretty good sized engine bay.

An appropriately sized 8 or 8.8 inch Ford rear axle might be the smart move to get a variety of rear axle ratios and limited slip options.  The stock axle is pretty stout but has very weak aftermarket support.  Also they like to rust like that's their job.

They're great cars, I want one for a project *badly*, but they have their drawbacks. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oj6VRYzytjoo27qZCWYrnqD8i52dODperayr5GWY8ZHgJuUH2FdnXuKJzlb7RWzQ