Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
2/14/14 10:55 a.m.

Hi everyone,

The Tax Return Fairy has arrived and I'm ready to pull the trigger on ordering a bunch of suspension parts. I want to order Koni Yellows all around and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for good retailers for them? I've looked at the traditional VW aftermarket specific sites already and I'm wondering who else sells them that may be worth looking into.

Likewise I'm also wondering what other racing orientated car forums I should look at for classifieds?

I need to order coilover sleeves as well and before I bite the bullet and order a Ground Control setup I figure it's at least worth spending some time and due diligence looking for a used setup or even used springs in the rates I'm looking for. If I can cut $100-$150 off of the cost I'd piece them together myself with some Afco or QA1 universal sleeve setups.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
2/14/14 11:00 a.m.

Tire Rack and Shox.com are the places I routinely go to.

sccaforums nasaforums improvedtouring

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/14 11:32 a.m.

FYI, Koni usually has a 25% off sale from March-May. I'd wait for a couple of weeks.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
2/14/14 11:42 a.m.

I got my STR.Ts from Tire Rack during a 20% off sale a couple years ago. Tire Rack had the best price, but didn't let me know that the front struts were out of stock until after I ordered them. I got the rear shocks in less than a week, but took almost a month to get the front struts. I wasn't in a hurry though, and it's not like I have a popular "performance" car.

• Lee
bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
2/14/14 11:45 a.m.

I've always gotten the best price from Shox.com, and the service has always been good as well.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/14/14 12:20 p.m.

One more vote for Tire Rack.

Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
2/14/14 12:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: FYI, Koni usually has a 25% off sale from March-May. I'd wait for a couple of weeks.

Good to know! Thanks. I could probably hold out until March 1st to order but I'm hoping to do a major thrash session on getting the car back together the week after.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/14/14 12:21 p.m.

Did you check Rock Auto? They carry Koni as an upgrade I think

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
2/14/14 12:30 p.m.

http://www.stranoparts.com/

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/14/14 12:56 p.m.

www.cyberauto.com . Tell 'em I sent you. They have the best prices I've found and will basically drop ship them to you. Also don't worry if you don't see what you want on the web page. Call them up and talk. They can get anything. I get my magnecor wires there too, including Toyota 20 valve and the ones that I put on the Esprit.

Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
2/14/14 6:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: FYI, Koni usually has a 25% off sale from March-May. I'd wait for a couple of weeks.

I did a search on Google and it looks like they rolled out sales last year on March 1st so I think that I can still pull this off. In the worst case scenario I can order from Tirerack and try to pick them up at the South Bend Warehouse which is 40 min. away from me. Looks like that will be worth the wait!

Keith Tanner
2/14/14 6:36 p.m.

I spent an hour with a Koni rep yesterday. March 1 to May 31 2014 :)

Sultan
Sultan Dork
2/14/14 7:33 p.m.

Keith would you mind giving a Koni model recommendation for an 2007 NC daily driver that will be getting new springs? Thx!

Keith Tanner
2/14/14 8:48 p.m.

If they're FM springs - which of course they are - go with the Sport. The STR is too soft.

We'll be offering this combo real soon now.

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/14/14 9:18 p.m.

I actually got the lowest price on Koni shocks from NOPI online of all places. They wouldn't normally be my go-to, but they were cheaper by about $30 for a set of four when I bought last December for my Solstice GXP.

By the way, if you're looking to build a coilover setup, don't assume that Ground Control is your only choice. You can get sleeves, perches, and springs through several different places and save quite a bit. I've built a full set of Koni SA-based adjustable coilovers for my Solstice for about $1500 total (all new parts). PM me if you want some leads.

Sultan
Sultan Dork
2/15/14 11:03 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If they're FM springs - which of course they are - go with the Sport. The STR is too soft. We'll be offering this combo real soon now.

:-)

Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
2/15/14 10:07 p.m.
CLH wrote: I actually got the lowest price on Koni shocks from NOPI online of all places. They wouldn't normally be my go-to, but they were cheaper by about $30 for a set of four when I bought last December for my Solstice GXP. By the way, if you're looking to build a coilover setup, don't assume that Ground Control is your only choice. You can get sleeves, perches, and springs through several different places and save quite a bit. I've built a full set of Koni SA-based adjustable coilovers for my Solstice for about $1500 total (all new parts). PM me if you want some leads.

WOW! You're right! About $40 less then the highest price I've seen on them at NOPI! I didn't even know they were still in business. LOL The last time I paid any attention them was when I was driving a Honda in the early 2000's and they were advertising in ricer mags.

Yeah I'm open to trying to piece together a set of sleeves and springs through other means too. I've seen universal sleeve kits for sale on speedwaymotors.com and summitracing.com, I guess the only limiting factor right now is finding the springs I want to run used in the next few weeks. I'll PM you in a minute. Definitely appreciate the advice.

So between what CLH pointed out and Keith said about the Spring Koni sale I think I have that locked down, can anyone recommend some other forums for motorsport orientated classifieds?

I'm going to post here and in SCCAforums but I could use some other places to look too. I figure if I can get some used springs for a deal I will forgo the GC kit and try and put my own together.

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/16/14 4:00 p.m.

@Contradiction, you have email...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KJgh0Tt3tsyxfp9OB80AdfEJuX0Zhf31GNAtuGzQOoruA3RWNMGUbRvktzMyZBNw