L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
2/22/21 8:25 a.m.

https://apnews.com/article/business-ohio-coronavirus-pandemic-1b731faa50852edb123b8e76c11aed4c 

IIRC Cooper "owns" Avon along with the others mentioned. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/22/21 8:44 a.m.

Cooper bought Avon's tire (maybe should spell it "tyre" in this context?) arm a while ago.

This mashes a lot of brands, histories, production facilities et cetera under one big roof.  Usually these kinds of mergers aren't nearly as great as they are said to be at the time of combining.  Two competing motorcycle tire brands (Dunlop vs. Avon) with all the facilities to produce both seems like a prime area for manpower & facility reduction, for instance.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/22/21 8:47 a.m.

Big deal for the town I live in where Cooper is headquartered. I hadn't even heard discussion of this!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/21 11:52 a.m.

Sad at the CS line is better than any 3 season goodyear makes and their AT tires weren't dreadful. I'm not confident that GY won't water down the brand (though Dunlop has honestly improved under their ownership, so we'll see). 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/22/21 12:11 p.m.

Sad news indeed. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/22/21 12:44 p.m.

I really like the Cooper AT tires I've used, including my current set. I hope GY doesn't screw them up.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/21 12:54 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

I really like the Cooper AT tires I've used, including my current set. I hope GY doesn't screw them up.

Exactly this.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/21 1:19 p.m.

I have an acquaintance that owns and runs a large independent tire shop that has been a Cooper dealer for something like 60 years. He is gutted and switching brands as he does not agree with Goodyear's management at all (look into the RV tire issue).

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/22/21 2:02 p.m.

We have a board member who works for Cooper. I can't remember his name, but he guided me to a tire for the minivan once long ago. I wonder how he is faring.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/22/21 2:04 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
2/22/21 2:20 p.m.

I guess investors like it. Cooper's stock piece is up 30 % and Good Year 20%

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
2/22/21 2:26 p.m.

Had a set of Eagle GT’s on my ‘81 X-11 back in the day, i’m pretty sure they were a replacement set from the original owner.  Even as a first year driver, I just didn’t like the feel of them at all.  Replaced them with some Firestone S660’s, and it felt much better.

Fast forward to 2016, and the Camaro  came with GY all seasons.  Absolutely the worst tire I’ve ever had on a car, and the includes the Chineese tires that came on the Miata I bought in ‘03.  At least those tires had grip!  The Hankook’s on the Camaro now are light years better, and I have a feeling they’ll last longer  than the 36k miles the GY 500tw tires barely made it to.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/22/21 4:05 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Tires and sidewall stiffness - minivan edition| Grassroots Motorsports forum |

ShawneeCreek.

He left there a year or two back, lives in Michigan now

ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter)
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/21 4:05 p.m.
tuna55 said:

ShawneeCreek.

Yeah, I used to work for Cooper Tire as a product development engineer for their passenger car tires. I left that job in 2017 for many reasons, some protected by a non-disclosure agreement. 

Honestly, I'm not surprised. While their SUV and LT tires were, and still are, some of the best on the market and the CS4 and CS5 tires were very good for passenger car tires, the company was not managed to succeed long term. Executive management's primary focus was "shareholder value" specifically ensuring that they didn't break the years long steak of stockholder dividends. Cooper existed first to make money for the shareholders; the tires were just the means to get there. Getting large capital projects approved was always really difficult. For those reasons they have been slowly falling behind for the past decade or two. It was only a matter of time before they were bought out.

Yes, Cooper bought the Avon tire group a while ago. They rebranded all of the automotive racing tires (mostly rallycross tires) as Cooper's and let the engineers and management in England continue to run the motorcycle tire size of the business.

I'm concerned about all the salary jobs in Findlay (where Cooper is headquartered). Especially based on this line from the press release:

Goodyear expects to achieve approximately $165 million in run-rate cost synergies within two years following the close of the transaction. The majority of the cost synergies will be related to overlapping corporate functions and realizing operating efficiencies.

That says to me that all the front office people either get eliminated or have to move to Goodyear's office in Akron. And that will likely include the tire development engineers. The good news for the front office people is they might have a chance to but move if they can get a job at Marathon, which is also in town.

It will be interesting to see what the new company does with the brand. I expect it to stick around for the SUV and LT tires as they have something like 25% market share, and you don't want to mess with that.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
2/22/21 6:27 p.m.

I had Cooper tires on a previous vehicle and they were nothing to write home about. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/23/21 8:32 a.m.
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) said:
tuna55 said:

ShawneeCreek.

Yeah, I used to work for Cooper Tire as a product development engineer for their passenger car tires. I left that job in 2017 for many reasons, some protected by a non-disclosure agreement. 

Honestly, I'm not surprised. While their SUV and LT tires were, and still are, some of the best on the market and the CS4 and CS5 tires were very good for passenger car tires, the company was not managed to succeed long term. Executive management's primary focus was "shareholder value" specifically ensuring that they didn't break the years long steak of stockholder dividends. Cooper existed first to make money for the shareholders; the tires were just the means to get there. Getting large capital projects approved was always really difficult. For those reasons they have been slowly falling behind for the past decade or two. It was only a matter of time before they were bought out.

Yes, Cooper bought the Avon tire group a while ago. They rebranded all of the automotive racing tires (mostly rallycross tires) as Cooper's and let the engineers and management in England continue to run the motorcycle tire size of the business.

I'm concerned about all the salary jobs in Findlay (where Cooper is headquartered). Especially based on this line from the press release:

Goodyear expects to achieve approximately $165 million in run-rate cost synergies within two years following the close of the transaction. The majority of the cost synergies will be related to overlapping corporate functions and realizing operating efficiencies.

That says to me that all the front office people either get eliminated or have to move to Goodyear's office in Akron. And that will likely include the tire development engineers. The good news for the front office people is they might have a chance to but move if they can get a job at Marathon, which is also in town.

It will be interesting to see what the new company does with the brand. I expect it to stick around for the SUV and LT tires as they have something like 25% market share, and you don't want to mess with that.

Well I am glad you got out while you did! I hope all is well, dude.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
2/26/21 9:19 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/26/21 10:20 a.m.

Delaying that announcement till after the merger was pretty smooth. 

Also, I need to check my tires. I think mine are older than that. 

2/26/21 10:26 a.m.
L5wolvesf said:

Another shoe drops

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/cooper-recalls-430k-light-truck-131944318.html 

Bull crap. I worked at an independent Cooper tire shop in the summer of 18 and we had at least a half dozen of those sidewall bulges including a blowout that caused a roll over. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
2/26/21 10:50 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
L5wolvesf said:

Another shoe drops

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/cooper-recalls-430k-light-truck-131944318.html 

Bull crap. I worked at an independent Cooper tire shop in the summer of 18 and we had at least a half dozen of those sidewall bulges including a blowout that caused a roll over. 

Who did the shop report it to? Was it one of the models mentioned in the recall?

2/28/21 1:43 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
L5wolvesf said:

Another shoe drops

Who did the shop report it to? Was it one of the models mentioned in the recall?

Our Regional Rep, multiple times, and yes. The Discoverer line.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wbukaSSh3Ej24GxIBbwtJbq4dAflIZnVknfDJYsDbLmfZQs1zRYwVaksRqpJ6xvz