glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/27/11 7:30 a.m.

This is probably a simple question. When computers were 8088's and 286's I knew what I was doing....

I've got a GoPro, and a couple weeks ago I moved it from the windshield to the inside of the back window. What I didn't realize in the heat of the day was that I was now hanging the camera upside down.

How can I flip the video file 180 degrees, or do I just stand on my head to watch it?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/27/11 8:58 a.m.

Windows movie maker has a "mirror vertical" effect. You could import the video and flip it there. That's the only video editing package I've used, but I'm sure most other editing software would have similar functionality

sevenracer
sevenracer New Reader
2/27/11 5:32 p.m.

Race Render also has the ability to mirror video. It's cheap ($30) and is very good for adding picture in picture and GPS data overlays if you think you'll ever want that.

But Movie Maker is free from Microsoft and easy to use, so that is where I'd start. Although, I didn't realize it had a mirror function.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
2/27/11 5:33 p.m.

I think you can flip in IMovie also

oldtin
oldtin Dork
2/27/11 5:48 p.m.

For your next video, IIRC you can invert the image setting on your go pro

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
2/27/11 7:36 p.m.
oldtin wrote: For your next video, IIRC you can invert the image setting on your go pro

+1, you'll need to install a firmware update to do this but yes, simple and effective.

Streamclip is another free editing tool which will let you invert the footage.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/2/11 7:43 p.m.

Thanks all for the very helpful comments

whitelx
whitelx None
3/7/11 12:50 a.m.

Direct from the source

http://gopro.com/support/rotate-stream-clip/

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
3/21/11 9:33 a.m.

Thread revival....

Movie Maker apparently doesn't support the MP4 file format of the Go Pro HD.

Suggestions for basic video editing freeware that will support this file format?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/21/11 10:36 a.m.

Windows Live Movie Maker? I'm running 64-bit W7, and didn't have any problems editing GoProHD footage.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/21/11 10:43 a.m.

I personally use Pinnacle Studio 14, which should be able to flip video, although I've never needed to make use of that capability. a bit spendy, but seems to do just about everything that Adobe Premiere will do for around $100 (or $130 if you get the one with a green screen in the box), and can import/export just about any format known to man (except exporting something an iTouch can play )

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/11 2:03 p.m.

Racerender can do it (I had to do it for some of my footage) plus you can overlay data. The best part? Its cheap!

Just remember that Windows Movie Maker on Windows Vista and 7 will do HD content. The Movie Make that is available for XP will not and there isn't a version available that will.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
3/21/11 2:56 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Just remember that Windows Movie Maker on Windows Vista and 7 will do HD content. The Movie Make that is available for XP will not and there isn't a version available that will.

I'm running Vista and Movie Maker Version 6.0.

I downloaded the K-lite Codec that allows me to view the video content in Windows Media Player, but the mp4 files won't open in Movie Maker.

All I want to do at this time is lop off the minute of boring inaction while I'm waiting at the starting line before launching the car.

I'm not a computer whiz, but I searched and it seems to be a common issue. I've read a bunch of work-arounds that sound somewhat sketchy.

I would just like to find a reliable basic shareware program that will handle the mp4 files without a lot of hassle.

If anyone has experience with this and can offer some suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/21/11 3:30 p.m.

There's a difference between Windows Movie Maker and Windows Live Movie Maker. I apologize if you've already ruled this out, but I used it to solve the exact same problem you're having.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker?os=other

I used it to trim down a clip from my dad's first DE, here's the video in question. I timed one of his laps at a blistering 2:50ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlQ5BlwljBs

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/21/11 6:18 p.m.

My experience is that WMM will read/edit any video format that your computer has the appropriate codecs to use. Sometimes it won't do it very well - I used to have to convert the raw footage from my Flip Video Ultra to standard WMV or AVI files before I could actually edit it effectively.

I have a small steel plate in the grill of my Miata. I have a magnetic mount that I attach my Flip to for nearly ground level video (it looks like I'm going faster than I am ). It also picks up the engine sounds well, being close to the engine. I have to orient the Flip upside down to fit correctly, and this is how I end up with right side up video. Depending on the program, you can either rotate 180, or mirror vertically and horizontally. If all you do is mirror vertically, it'll be right side up but a mirror image of what it's supposed to be. Which I suppose is a good way to make everyone look like they've got a "mad tyte JDM yo" RHD car...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/12 2:35 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: All I want to do at this time is lop off the minute of boring inaction while I'm waiting at the starting line before launching the car.

If you're planning on doing this for uploading to YouTube, you can upload the whole video and then trim it using YouTube's tools.

This video was close to three minutes long, all you see are the parts I didn't trim off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVYWleeCrfc

Alternatively, there's a freeware tool that I found that will trim videos, but you can't stitch them together. Still looking for something that will do everything I want.

The problem is that the GoPro uses a Quicktime based format, and Apple are a bunch of a-holes when it comes to their proprietary formats.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aGy8dOVh1inWvPz5MTCeIgqvqmm4xc9cPrILimCLu9UC6jnSraddhKpCbfSp5CaU