1 2
foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
10/3/14 5:01 a.m.

I'm impressed by it. For $20k, you get quite a bit of machine.

It's more substantial than I'd realized. It won't be invisible by any means, though it is of course very low slung.

Polaris well understands triangles and stability. Almost everything is contained within the triangle, and kept low, so the propensity for tipping in turns that so many trikes have is essentially eliminated, if not completely eliminated.

Ease of hop-up and aftermarket gee-gaws appears fantastic, and deliberately so. There's a gap in the engine bay that would very easily allow a turbo. The "windshield" is held on by three screws, so taller one with a toneuo could be added. The center console pops out.

The seats are just cool. Jeep could learn a lesson here. They are a skinned molded foam that has no seams. They are channeled down the center to a rear drain. So your butt doesn't get wet. The entire interior is designed for rain and hosing out.

Getting in and out is actually quite easy, if you do it right. Step in, standing in front of the seat. Hold the steering wheel and sit down. Egress is the reverse. Lots of folk were trying to swing their feet over the side, and that really doesn't work.

The framework is quite solid, though I question the roll bars. They look prettier more than substantial, but that's probably an illusion. The rest of the chassis is solid tubing, and they didn't skimp on it. Talking with the dealer, she told me that many women very much like this and the seat belts. The male customers are oblivious, but the females appreciate the safety.

Storage is minimal, but certainly not non-existant. The two water resistant cargo holds (one behind each seat) are about the size of a large motorcycle saddlebag, plus a bit of trunk box. So the Slingshot would hold about as much as a touring motorcycle would. Suit cases will not fit in these cargo boxes. One person pointed out just how easy it would be to rig up large custom panniers under the tail along side the rear wheel.

The drive belt intrigued me. Where Harley and others run them very tight, this one is loose. Almost floppy loose. I was told that is correct, and that it tightens up as it warms up. OK, but Gates is the maker, and they are the ones who says that is a no-no, as the shock loads on a loose belt is what breaks it or strips the teeth off. I suspect this setting may change when the trike is released.

It's classified as a motorcycle, so if you don't have a motorcycle licence, you can't ride/drive one. It also means you're stuck with state helmet laws. Superfluous, imo, since there are seat belts and a roll bar. Have no idea where the cops would be with regards to not wearing a seat belt in a motorcycle. But, these things will be ironed out with time and exposure.

Learned that Polaris deliberately is not providing a roof as enclosing the cockpit is what trips the vehicle over the line from being a motorcycle into a three wheeled car. Which is exactly the problem Elio is having. If Elio does go into production, and manages to get classified as a motorcycle in every state, this could mean an optional roof top from Polaris in the future. As it stands, the aftermarket is expected to provide that option. Safely beyond the legal control of Polaris.

The Slingshot is not a motorcycle, and is not practical. But it seems like a delightful toy. If I had 20 grand to blow, I'd be sorely tempted to blow it on one of these.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/3/14 5:32 a.m.

A photo, for people like me who couldn't remember what it looked like:

Personally, I can't see spending 20 grand on something so hideous right out of the box. Then I don't even get all four wheels for that price. Or a roof. I think if I'm spending that much, there's a simple (and arguably superior) alternative:

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/3/14 6:39 a.m.

How much money do you have to pull that you can be ok with spending $20k on something like that?

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
10/3/14 7:08 a.m.

I'm with ddavid. I think the Slingshot is damn cool. For $10k or less, I'm all in. At $20k, I'm going Miata or a number of other 4 wheeled choices.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/3/14 8:11 a.m.

I still hold to the fact that it'll need a four wheel solid rear axle conversion before it'll have my attention. In the picture above you can't even see the rear wheel. It looks like its a oversized Segway.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/3/14 9:42 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: A photo, for people like me who couldn't remember what it looked like:

Ugh, I forgot just how ugly it is...Now I have to go wash the bile taste out of my mouth.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/3/14 9:54 a.m.

ehh.. No track days vs cars = no buy.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
10/3/14 10:20 a.m.

I think that, ONCE AGAIN, people are comparing a new car/bike thing to a used car. Since when can you buy a NEW Miata for 20K? Also, The performance, out of the gate, of the slingshot will be better (in a straight line at least) than a Miata. It has a similarly powerful motor and weighs less. I imagine that hooking the rear might be a bit of a challenge but who knows. There is also no way that this could be made for 10K less. NONE. An exocet is over 7k with shipping and that still needs an entire used Miata and assemble. Anyway, rant over. I like them, the style is polarizing but whatever.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/3/14 10:33 a.m.

And ONCE AGAIN, no one sets the rules by which others are allowed to do thier own comparisions. It's their money so they're free to decide whatever they want based upon whatever parameters are important to them.

I can understand why they want to charge $20K, but yeah, that's a bit steep for a toy that likely won't be allowed into most trackday events ("<4 wheels = not a car = no insurance to cover it").

Personally, I think marketing a three-wheeler is going to be tough, as people just can't/won't get over it "missing a wheel."

Leafy
Leafy Reader
10/3/14 11:36 a.m.

Still looks impossible to fit a real rear tire. I'm out unless I can stuff a 335 on it, cause tarbo.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/14 11:47 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: How much money do you have to pull that you can be ok with spending $20k on something like that?

For me it would be somewhere over $200k/yr.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/14 11:47 a.m.

I'm with the prevailing sentiment here. Not for me. Thanks.

HOWEVER - In terms of a sit-inside vehicle and pure acceleration, nothing comes close. For the lion's share of the enthusiast market, who don't care about lap times but still want something fun, this makes a lot of sense. I think again of how many of the Can-Am 3-wheelers I saw in Canada a few months ago. The Slingshot is almost identically priced. There's a progression here: Someone who still mocks death can buy a full-tilt superbike, then sport-tourer, then tourer, then Can-Am Spyder, then Slingshot, then cane, then walker, then hospice care, then....

ALSO: I always like to emphasize that looks are relative, and one person's hideous is another person's cool. But in this case I think that the styling has wandered over dangerously close to Aztec/Pacer country, where the number of people who will like it's looks will be pretty tiny.

Edit: And if anyone ever sees me wearing a helmet while driving around town in a sit-inside vehicle, please shoot me.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/3/14 11:51 a.m.

I would buy that over any Miata ever made.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/3/14 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

No you wouldn't.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/3/14 12:22 p.m.
kreb wrote: ...In terms of a sit-inside vehicle and pure acceleration, nothing comes close...

It's roughly 10lbs/hp but has only one tire with very little weight on it. Polaris doesn't spec weight distribution but it's probably around 67/33 F/R. But that's apparently okay because mag reviews say it boasts "optimised weight distribution."

Someone in... Norway I think, made something similar, and while it left impressive tire marks off the line, its acceleration was so poor that the builder converted it to 4 wheels. The solution is to make it FWD, which isn't that hard considering it's already front-engine, but I'm off-topic.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/14 12:26 p.m.

I thought transformers were supposed to look different when in their vehicle form. That decepticon isn't even trying to hide.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/3/14 12:41 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Seriously, I would.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/3/14 1:30 p.m.

Most people on this board would never buy a brand-new can-am either.

I bet this thing is still one heck of a kick in the pants to drive though.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/3/14 1:31 p.m.

No, you wouldn't.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/3/14 1:34 p.m.
kb58 wrote:
kreb wrote: ...In terms of a sit-inside vehicle and pure acceleration, nothing comes close...
It's roughly 10lbs/hp but has only one tire with very little weight on it. Polaris doesn't spec weight distribution but it's probably around 67/33 F/R. But that's apparently okay because mag reviews say it boasts "optimised weight distribution." Someone in... Norway I think, made something similar, and while it left impressive tire marks off the line, its acceleration was so poor that the builder converted it to 4 wheels. The solution is to make it FWD, which isn't that hard considering it's already front-engine, but I'm off-topic.

Not sure where the 67/33 comes from. Looks to me like nearly all the weight is inbetween the axles... I don't see 1/3rd of the vehicle mass out in front of the front wheel centerline

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/3/14 1:39 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I'm almost curious enough about why you think that to ask you. But not really enough to actually ask you.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/3/14 1:41 p.m.

Me thinks you don't quite understand weight distribution.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/3/14 1:43 p.m.

Okay.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/3/14 1:43 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Me thinks you don't quite understand weight distribution.

+1

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
10/3/14 1:54 p.m.

Whether you would ever consider buying one or not, we should all applaud Polaris in bringing a toy to market that is street legal and made purely for fun. Kreb was right on the money, "There's a progression here: Someone who still mocks death can buy a full-tilt superbike, then sport-tourer, then tourer, then Can-Am Spyder, then Slingshot, then cane, then walker, then hospice care, then...." Baby boomer generation with money to spend. Imagine living out of an RV and towing this on an open or enclosed trailer as your run around town vehicle. If you actually "obey" SWMBO, and she says no moto but says yes to this, you'd buy it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cwHj0EdKaSDz50D2b0h6hWZuEq5rbNtvlZrKg3pajP1pDhdKQHZYTjYbCKYUZVXl