1 2 3
Dootz
Dootz Reader
10/28/19 4:38 a.m.

I'm seeing a lot of low-mileage examples in the sub-$2500 range. Does GRM think they're any fun? Would probably plan for an eventual LX9/3500 swap with a 5-speed or 4T65-HD dropped in

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/28/19 6:02 a.m.

You mean these?

For their day, I always thought the Grand Ams had sharp styling and even though it was a parlor trick, I always like the exhaust sound of the V6.  I drove a gazillion of them in the 90s when I was doing valet, as they were common rentals.  They're OK, and like any GM of that vintage, they'll run poorly forever.  Also keep in mind it's a Cavalier in different clothes, so it has the crash structure of a beer can...or if rust has set in, a Solo cup.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/28/19 8:13 a.m.

I'm still mad that they promised us a 265hp supercharged V6/5MT version called the SC/T and all we got was the hood.

Back in 2000, this would have been a game changer.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/28/19 10:35 a.m.

Sometimes i like to bench race the concept that if the last Grand Am GT had looked exactly the same but been RWD, it would have changed the entire enthusiast landscape. Pontiac might even still exist. But it wasn't. 

I think they're ok. Engine mods could make it something pretty cool. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/28/19 10:38 a.m.

I mean, Grand Ams are the greatest vehicle know to man, remember?

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
10/28/19 11:26 a.m.

I think the value of the Grand Am is directly proportional to the number of Juggalo stickers/tattoos the buyer and seller have.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/28/19 11:54 a.m.

They're not Cavalier's as previously mentioned, they're on the same chassis as the Olds Alero or Achieva, depending on generation (and how different those generations really are, I don't know, they looks really similar from here) and a bunch of other stuff.  Cavalier was sisters with the Sunbird. 

I strongly dislike these for reasons that are not entirely rational.  They're rattly cars with garbage seats that will run forever if poorly maintained.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/19 12:04 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

The Achieva generation N-body was more or less a stretched J, so in that respect it's a big Cavalier.

The next generation were much better, although to be honest I'd prefer a two door Alero.  They look surprisingly well proportioned, and they aren't covered with acres of rust-generating plastic cladding like the Pontiacs are. All of that generation have rust issues elsewhere, like the rack mounts breaking away from the subframe.  The earlier N bodies would just rust the firewall where the rack mounted...

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/28/19 1:37 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

They're not Cavalier's as previously mentioned, they're on the same chassis as the Olds Alero or Achieva, depending on generation (and how different those generations really are, I don't know, they looks really similar from here) and a bunch of other stuff.  Cavalier was sisters with the Sunbird. 

I strongly dislike these for reasons that are not entirely rational.  They're rattly cars with garbage seats that will run forever if poorly maintained.

Yes, you are correct.  The Sunbird was the Cadavlier.  My bad. 

For no rational reason, they still appeal to me.  I even liked the first gen cars from '85 and up, as crappy as they were.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/28/19 1:40 p.m.
Klayfish said:

I even liked the first gen cars from '85 and up, as crappy as they were.

You are a sad, sick little man.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/28/19 2:17 p.m.

Or you could do an nhra style rwd super Stock conversation 

https://www.smithperformance.com/catalogue_ga_sub.html

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/28/19 3:35 p.m.

What's kind of sad is that the last Grand Am GT was more or less 'any number of  a long list of other GM engines' away from being cool. Previous 3.4 DOHC? Sure. Concurrent 3800, even supercharged? Yes. Later 3500/3900? Yeah, that would work. Either drivetrain from the Cobalt SS? Definitely. Later 3.6? Yes. It was almost an enthusiast car.  3400? .......mehhhh.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/28/19 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

At least the 3rd generation got the Quad 4 and the turbo 2-liter. And I kind of like the looks of the early 4th gens. I know, I'm weird. 

Knurled.
10/28/19 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

I think GM wants to forget the turbo 2 liter.  I think most of them cracked the cylinder head before 60k miles.

It did make the H.O. version of the Quad 4 look good in comparison.  180hp 2.3l back when M3s had similar power and displacement.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/28/19 6:28 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Klayfish said:

I even liked the first gen cars from '85 and up, as crappy as they were.

You are a sad, sick little man.

Yes...yes I am.  I just thought this looked cool back in the day...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/28/19 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

I agree even if they were junk they were handsome. 

Knurled.
10/28/19 7:04 p.m.

My mom had a '91 that she leased new and I thought it was the most awesome thing.  It was a bright blue 2 door with the ubiquitous 14" Pontiac multi-five spoke wheels.  To this day when I hear a sweet running Iron Duke (that geary whine is very distinctive) it reminds me of the sound of her coming home from work.

She traded it in for a used '93 Grand Am with the 3300, thanks in part to GMAC completely screwing up the residual and her being able to buy back a car for $4000 that she could trade in for $8000.  I eventually got to drive that one, after I got old enough.  I found that what C&D said was true: over 85mph, it really needed another gear.  3300s were only ever mated to TH125Cs, if you wanted overdrive you waited a couple years and got a 3100 with four speed overdrive.  But that Buick engine was a total anvil.  It didn't look as good as the '91, though.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/28/19 7:08 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I'm still mad that they promised us a 265hp supercharged V6/5MT version called the SC/T and all we got was the hood.

Back in 2000, this would have been a game changer.

Ok I kinda want that...

Is it worth trying to roll my own?

Wait I just remembered that I owned an N-body... never mind I'm good.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/28/19 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

Wife ordered a new '86 Grand Am SE.  wanted blue but GM had paint issues so she changed order to white.  

Arrived at dealer with quarter panel dent. Repainted at dealer.  

Girlfriend shows up to show off new car at my parents house and my dad points out the tranny was leaking all over his driveway.  Back to the dealer.

Trans replaced at 50,000 miles.  GM wouldn't help so I used a local tranny guy.

Rusty body after 4 Chicago winters.  Chased rust then gave up   

Multiple warranty issues - lots of defective relays.  Back to the dealer over and over.  Great looking car with decent power but a big piece of crap.  

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/28/19 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

So what you're telling me is she got one built on a good day at the GM plant...  I can't imagine one built on a Monday.

On a sort of related note, what was it that GM did with the V6 in the late 80s and 90s that gave it the distinctive snarl?  Thinking of the 2.8L, 3.1L, 3.4L (I think), even the 3.8 had it to some degree...I remember my wife's '04 Bonnie SSEi sounded great.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/28/19 7:41 p.m.

I used to think these cars were so fast when I was a kid. They were everywhere now i can't remember the last time I've seen one outside a jy

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/28/19 7:56 p.m.
Knurled. said:

The next generation were much better, although to be honest I'd prefer a two door Alero.  They look surprisingly well proportioned, and they aren't covered with acres of rust-generating plastic cladding like the Pontiacs are. 

Plus, the headlights can be easily found on your nearest ups truck!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/28/19 8:00 p.m.

Not that I want any of this, but if I had my druthers, Cultass 442 > whatever package Grand AM GT's you're all on about.  Witness:

Knurled.
10/28/19 8:04 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Knurled. said:

The next generation were much better, although to be honest I'd prefer a two door Alero.  They look surprisingly well proportioned, and they aren't covered with acres of rust-generating plastic cladding like the Pontiacs are. 

Plus, the headlights can be easily found on your nearest ups truck!

Thanks for that.  Now I won't be able to unsee it.

BTW.  Two door Alero.

Citroen Xsara WRC.

Don't know why one makes me think of the other, but it does.  And bits of me that have more ambition than sense want to do something with this very tenuous visual link.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/28/19 8:04 p.m.

I want to drive an Olds Acheiva SCX W41. Probably don't want to own it though.

Racecar example pictured because racecar.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8101FBboul6XKYreptGeEGlHBhazLNaKAI0lIztWvBia3oOYbmC2saOKbascJlXf