1 2 3 4
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/21 10:32 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Jack, I know you picked up the snowblower, but Bolens Diablo looks like it would make easy work of pushing a car around. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/7/21 5:53 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

That thing is cool Pete.  Thanks. I got the blower home this weekend. It really is incredibly like new. Everything works as new on it. I feel a little bad repurposing it, but I am going to do my best to make it dual purpose. To that end, I will keep it in snow blower form for the winter. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/7/21 7:46 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

"YOU'RE GOING TO CUT UP A PERFECTLY GOOD JOHN DEERE SNOWBLOWER?!?!"  shouts the man in Michigan who has to go out and clear the driveway this morning......wink

John Deere snowblowers are made by mtd mostly. They're not much better than the run of the mill Home Depot stuff.  

buy a toro or ariens. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/7/21 7:59 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jh36 :

Jack, I know you picked up the snowblower, but Bolens Diablo looks like it would make easy work of pushing a car around. 

This got me curious. Found some info: 

Link

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/7/21 8:05 a.m.

The Bolens Diablo was a later version of a snowmobile called The Husky. The tail dragger style showed up after Bombardier had come out with the SkiDoo and several other companies mimicked their  layout. Someone at Bolens decided a different layout might sell. They could never keep up to the conventional designs and didn't sell well from the beginning. Any of my friends in high school that had a Husky ended up getting regular machines for their second go round. 

Image result for Husky snowmobiles

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/21 8:25 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Oh that makes perfect sense. But as something to drag/push a racecar around the pits, this to me looks like it has the advantage of not needing to leverage the weight from the car to get traction to the ground. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/7/21 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I'd be curious to see if it would push properly. Unbolt all the metal cleats, unless you're paddocked on a soft surface, and see if it gets enough low speed traction. Likely needs to be geared down some. Some sort of electric tug would be better if only because you get all the torque at zero RPM and don't have to build revs to engage a centrifugal clutch.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1f3X3XsLFaXcabTIf26nikC4UNcm6PWf7sR5eyM34F1NLoCHfjiugZlOzvO5BNm6