MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
9/17/21 9:04 a.m.

Anyone on here recommend a decent labscope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/21 12:14 p.m.

Hammer store has the assuming what you are calling a labscope I'd call a boroscope. Basically a camera on a flexible lead with a screen to see inside stuff.

Ryobe and Milwaukee also have cordless ones but the price goes up.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/21 12:14 p.m.

Depends on what you consider decent, and where your cutoff is (sorry) for arm and a leg.

I think I paid $99 for my two channel Pico scope.  Maybe it was $119, or $199.  It was a lot ago.  I bought a cheap refurb laptop from Micro Center for it, about $150.  What gets expensive are all the little cables and such that you need.  I like to have, at minimum, some BNC to banana cables, because banana cables are cheap.  They make backprobe nails with built in banana ends, too, so I have two sets of those.  The biggest expense has been the amp clamp, but SOO many things need an amp clamp if you want to actually do something useful with the scope, that I sucked it up and bought one.

No, I can't remember how much any of it cost, it's tools, I can either spend money on tools or risk not making money.  But for sure I wasn't about to spend $3000-5000 on a full automotive kit.

pirate
pirate Dork
9/17/21 12:21 p.m.

There was a thread about these a while back. I have this one and it suits my needs. 

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-SKYBASIC-Waterproof-Inspection-Semi-Rigid/dp/B07ZH9P8QH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=7IO3L9X5PQZZ

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/17/21 1:49 p.m.

Well, we've set off firmly in two directions without asking where we're going.

Two votes for borescope, one vote for oscilloscope (also my guess).

OP?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/17/21 2:18 p.m.

I'm on the oscilloscope side, unless the OP doesn't know what a labscope is.

You might find an old Snap on ...what's the name... unit cheap.  They are certainly not up to Pico standards,  but they are a usable lab scope, or an excellent multi meter.

Edit: Vantage.

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
9/17/21 7:30 p.m.

oscilloscope... sorry I didn't get back till now

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
9/17/21 7:51 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Depends on what you consider decent, and where your cutoff is (sorry) for arm and a leg.

I think I paid $99 for my two channel Pico scope.  Maybe it was $119, or $199.  It was a lot ago.  I bought a cheap refurb laptop from Micro Center for it, about $150.  What gets expensive are all the little cables and such that you need.  I like to have, at minimum, some BNC to banana cables, because banana cables are cheap.  They make backprobe nails with built in banana ends, too, so I have two sets of those.  The biggest expense has been the amp clamp, but SOO many things need an amp clamp if you want to actually do something useful with the scope, that I sucked it up and bought one.

No, I can't remember how much any of it cost, it's tools, I can either spend money on tools or risk not making money.  But for sure I wasn't about to spend $3000-5000 on a full automotive kit.

This is what I was after... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Acya84e4XlViMJgPtZwNflq28gzwWoam4zU4qqxPVck5YoqioTkfeHpM5gFuJox