1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/13 3:16 p.m.

Would have been neat at a new venue, but I know I wouldn't be able to make the timeline if it were in summer. Will be a further drive, but now I have a ghost of a chance of being able to have something ready by October.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
12/4/13 4:08 p.m.
Finnerty wrote: So it used to say something like "If the rules don't say you can do it, you can't do it." Which is gone. I'm guessing now it's not against any of the listed rules to remove lots of factory sheet metal, you could welding 2 cars together, build a silhouette type car, etc?

Silhouette type car?

I'm not sure any of those things were disallowed before, unless you mean on account of the appearance. If you cut off a lot of sheet metal (fenders, doors, etc.), you're subject to a poor score at the parc expose and less coverage in the magazine and everywhere else.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/13 6:03 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Sounds like fun. I should go to one of these events some day.

you and me, local to each other, let's do this.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/13 8:11 p.m.
Finnerty wrote: So it used to say something like "If the rules don't say you can do it, you can't do it." Which is gone. I'm guessing now it's not against any of the listed rules to remove lots of factory sheet metal, you could welding 2 cars together, build a silhouette type car, etc? Either way, I'm in this year, I will be the one winning all the trophies and making out with all the U of F girls in Halloween costumes.

Love it! Smack talking already!!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/4/13 8:51 p.m.

Damn, damn, damn, October is out, promised Mrs Aussie a trip downunder to see Bathurst and the Melboune Cup.

Shoot guys this year was November, next year was to be June, how did it end up back in October.

I will have to do the right thing by my wife so I will be back in 2015, I guess after 5 years I can miss one, but I sure don't want to.

Finnerty
Finnerty New Reader
12/4/13 11:02 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:
Finnerty wrote: So it used to say something like "If the rules don't say you can do it, you can't do it." Which is gone. I'm guessing now it's not against any of the listed rules to remove lots of factory sheet metal, you could welding 2 cars together, build a silhouette type car, etc?
Silhouette type car? I'm not sure any of those things were disallowed before, unless you mean on account of the appearance. If you cut off a lot of sheet metal (fenders, doors, etc.), you're subject to a poor score at the parc expose and less coverage in the magazine and everywhere else.

Pretty sure you are joking, but in case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silhouette_racing_car

Basically, we used to only be able to remove sheetmetal up to the amount necessary to perform an engine/ suspension mod/swap, etc. I just remember past competitors swapping subframes and such over, and getting pers approval, etc on swapping things over, when it would probably be easier to cut everything away and just build a tube frame. Not to mention, we were required to run an original dashboard, and at least what looked like factory fenders, doors, etc (even if they could be made of something else), and it no longer appears to be the case that they are required at all... I'm not saying you wouldn't hurt your scoring in the parc horny or whatever, but it wouldn't be against the rules to lighten a car in this way? I can see people taking everything off their car for the drags.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/5/13 6:17 a.m.
Finnerty wrote: ...the parc horny or whatever...

So, the event will now include something about exposing ourselves in a park, or something like that, right??

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
12/5/13 6:39 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
Finnerty wrote: ...the parc horny or whatever...
So, the event will now include something about exposing ourselves in a park, or something like that, right??

I think that's happened before.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
12/5/13 7:23 a.m.
Finnerty wrote: Not to mention, we were required to run an original dashboard, and at least what looked like factory fenders, doors, etc (even if they could be made of something else), and it no longer appears to be the case that they are required at all... I'm not saying you wouldn't hurt your scoring in the parc horny or whatever, but it wouldn't be *against the rules* to lighten a car in this way? I can see people taking everything off their car for the drags.

This isn't a final ruling here, but removing a substantial portion of the equipment that was on your car at the parc expose is removed for the competition portion of the event, that would very likely qualify as "against the spirit of the event."

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/5/13 7:25 a.m.

So we don't need any windows except a windshield in a closed car right?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/5/13 7:26 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Damn, damn, damn, October is out, promised Mrs Aussie a trip downunder to see Bathurst and the Melboune Cup. Shoot guys this year was November, next year was to be June, how did it end up back in October. I will have to do the right thing by my wife so I will be back in 2015, I guess after 5 years I can miss one, but I sure don't want to.

Looks like battle of the mullets with hold off for a year. In the meantime I can finish a spot higher for $2014....

Pat
Pat HalfDork
12/5/13 7:41 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: So we don't need any windows except a windshield in a closed car right?

Check the NHRA rules. I believe you'll need a window net and arm restraints if you don't run side windows.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
12/5/13 7:55 a.m.

I will miss you!

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
12/5/13 7:57 a.m.

Wow! just wow.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/5/13 8:02 a.m.
Pat wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: So we don't need any windows except a windshield in a closed car right?
Check the NHRA rules. I believe you'll need a window net and arm restraints if you don't run side windows.
NHRA rules said: A ribbon-type or SFI Spec 27.1 mesh-type window net is mandatory on any full-bodied car required by the rules to have a roll cage. Windshields and/or windows on all cars, when called for under Class Requirements, must be of safety glass, Plexiglas, Lexan, or other shatterproof material, minimum 1/8-inch thick.

The way I am reading the rules unless your car is fast enough to need a roll cage window nets aren't required. Am I correct?

Bigger issue the NHRA rules say a minimum 85" wheelbase is required and I am pretty sure a number of cars don't or haven't met that rule.

wpcouch
wpcouch New Reader
12/5/13 8:17 a.m.

"Costs to pick up your hooptie from the seller are exempt."

VERY happy to see this! My hooptie is currently located in Washington state. I'm in Buffalo, NY...

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder SuperDork
12/5/13 9:16 a.m.

I'm certainly intrigued by the move towards a simplistic ruleset--It should really open the doors to some creative builds. There's a lot of grey areas that can now really be exploited. I know a production-based passenger car is something that holds a passenger and it was produced. Sweet!

I'm also glad you kept the scoring system as-is. The dynamic score is unique--but effective. I was wondering if you were going to change it after last week's issue. I actually guessed the issue before GRM even emailed me to figure it out! I'm glad I could help. Truth be told, I miss the event--it was a fun little circus.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/5/13 9:58 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I'm certainly intrigued by the move towards a simplistic ruleset--It should really open the doors to some creative builds. There's a lot of grey areas that can now really be exploited. I *know* a production-based passenger car is something that holds a passenger and it was produced. Sweet! I'm also glad you kept the scoring system as-is. The dynamic score is unique--but effective. I was wondering if you were going to change it after last week's issue. I actually guessed the issue before GRM even emailed me to figure it out! I'm glad I could help. Truth be told, I miss the event--it was a fun little circus.

Missed the event, not certain people..........

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
12/5/13 10:21 a.m.

Deleted, because being disappointed is ok... being a butt hurt dick, not so much. Sorry guys. Carry on.

tripp
tripp New Reader
12/5/13 10:21 a.m.

I didn't see any mention of roll bars and cages in the rules beyond padding not counting. Is this a rule change that means cages now count or are they still exempt I bolted or ??

Thanks looking forward to next year and hopefully my car will be running smoothly so I can get a better look at the other awesome creations out there!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/5/13 10:22 a.m.
tripp wrote: I didn't see any mention of roll bars and cages in the rules beyond padding not counting. Is this a rule change that means cages now count or are they still exempt I bolted or ?? Thanks looking forward to next year and hopefully my car will be running smoothly so I can get a better look at the other awesome creations out there!

Rule change: Rollbars and cages in any form are no longer exempt.

tripp
tripp New Reader
12/5/13 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

At the event this year I thought it was said that roll cages could be kept. If not I will need to apply to be grandfathered in or hope the change for tires covers the money spent on roll cage materials....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/5/13 10:44 a.m.
tripp wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: At the event this year I thought it was said that roll cages could be kept. If not I will need to apply to be grandfathered in or hope the change for tires covers the money spent on roll cage materials....

You'll be grandfathered. NEW construction must go towards budget.

So basically... the grandfathered cars get some sort of mythical performance advantage from their added weight.

tripp
tripp New Reader
12/5/13 10:48 a.m.

I don't think my cage would provide much performance advantage but with the chopped roof and mods I feel a lot safer racing with it. I hope not to test its performance

Pat
Pat HalfDork
12/5/13 10:48 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Pat wrote:
NHRA rules said: A ribbon-type or SFI Spec 27.1 mesh-type window net is mandatory on any full-bodied car required by the rules to have a roll cage. Windshields and/or windows on all cars, when called for under Class Requirements, must be of safety glass, Plexiglas, Lexan, or other shatterproof material, minimum 1/8-inch thick.
The way I am reading the rules unless your car is fast enough to need a roll cage window nets aren't required. Am I correct? Bigger issue the NHRA rules say a minimum 85" wheelbase is required and I am pretty sure a number of cars don't or haven't met that rule.

I believe the difference is that without windows, it's considered an "open" car.

Here's the rule on windows that I found with some quick google-fu. I have a rulebook at home somewhere, but I have to find it.

WINDSHIELD, WINDOWS Altereds, dragsters: Optional. Windscreen mandatory. See General Regulations 7:7, 7:8.

Stock-bodied vehicles: Mandatory, must be in good condition and free from cracks. May be replaced with shatterproof material, 1/8-inch-minimum thickness. OEM windshield may not be cut for scoops, carb, etc. Windshield/window tint must meet the applicable state requirements. Windows must be closed during races, need not be operable. Decals permitted on rear quarter and rear window only. See General Regulations 7:8.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kAAxhlLcXneOOXCGhNHU8XPljHl7jsUIGINjYfzE6m7eqKAR20kxZtwpK9vp2Mke