1 2 3
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/25/09 7:02 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: What's next, an acquisition of Hot Bisexual 20-Something Women that Would Sleep with You had You Not Remarried Journal? Jeez!

Absolutely not. We here at Hot Bisexual 20-Something Women that Would Sleep with You had You Not Remarried Journal intend to stay independent, and continue bringing you the most up to date coverage of hot pieces of ass that you could tap endlessly, had you not remarried.

TJ
TJ HalfDork
11/25/09 8:04 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: Yes definitely a powered by Subie regular forum. I'm trying to work out the logistics of a Subie engine in a middie position of a Locost. There's a company in Oz that makes a blanking plate for the rear.

There is also a shop that specializes in Porsche speedster replicas in Tennessee that makes their own blanking plate. I have the link at home I think.

TJ
TJ HalfDork
11/25/09 8:06 a.m.

I am torn on the Subaru flat four sound. Sometimes I think they sound very nice, other times I think they sound like tractors. Is that sound a product of the flat four design or is something subaru does?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/09 8:14 a.m.
Raze wrote: Tim, I think it's time to create the Grassroots Motorsport Rally Challenge

Where is that damned eleventy billion button... Crap all I can find is:

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/09 8:58 a.m.

How about a GRM Rallycross series?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
11/25/09 9:08 a.m.
TJ wrote: I am torn on the Subaru flat four sound. Sometimes I think they sound very nice, other times I think they sound like tractors. Is that sound a product of the flat four design or is something subaru does?

from what I understand its because the intake tract is split into 2 manifolds to accommodate horizontal opposition in the cylinder banks. In a V or Inline config, you can have a single intake manifold where the pulses are all homologous. In the split config, you have 2 separate pulse patterns, hence the blub blub sound. I may be COMPLETELY wrong, but Im pretty sure Im not...YMMV

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/25/09 9:16 a.m.

This is sweeeet! I just picked up my first subie and think I'm hooked. I also like seeing GRM growing while not letting writing or editorial slack. I subscribed when I found (on the newstand at borders) coverage of the $1500 chalenge. I thought, these guys are just like me. Crazy and dumb enough to want to race a $1500 car, but they are actually doing it!! Filled out the script card then and there. Mailed it on my way home. Glad to see you folks still get better and better.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
11/25/09 9:18 a.m.
TJ wrote: I am torn on the Subaru flat four sound. Sometimes I think they sound very nice, other times I think they sound like tractors. Is that sound a product of the flat four design or is something subaru does?

It's at least partly due to the exhaust manifold design. Subarus with aftermarket, equal-length headers sound more "normal". (And less awesome, at least in my mind.)

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
11/25/09 9:21 a.m.
Woody wrote: How about a GRM Rallycross series?

Or a GRM Rallycross Challenge at the Mitty? There's plenty of room out by will-call or maybe even at the roundy-round track across the street.

badthoughts badthoughts badthoughts....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/09 9:26 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
Or a GRM Rallycross Challenge at the Mitty? There's plenty of room out by will-call or maybe even at the roundy-round track across the street. badthoughts badthoughts badthoughts....

By "Series" I meant something that would travel to many different venues. I can't get to the Mitty and back in a single day from New England.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/25/09 10:00 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
Or a GRM Rallycross Challenge at the Mitty? There's plenty of room out by will-call or maybe even at the roundy-round track across the street. badthoughts badthoughts badthoughts....

DO_IT! This might be the perfect death for our LeMons car.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/25/09 10:12 a.m.

It's the unequal length manifolds. If you put an exhaust on a lot of old Saabs, you get the same effect.

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
11/25/09 11:02 a.m.

Congratulations and good luck to both parties.

I was actually a part of contributing to Subiesport for the first couple of years. I also wrote the article on Tom Hoppe's STX WRX for GRM several years ago. Now it has come full circle for me.

subrew
subrew Reader
11/25/09 11:29 a.m.

Yep, the stock exhaust manifolds are of unequal length. I've had an equal length header on both a '99 2.5RS and a '04 STi and it changed the sound dramatically. My STi sounded almost like a sportbike on track.

Chris H.

carzan
carzan Reader
11/25/09 11:51 a.m.
Keith wrote: Thanks Ryan! I was just curious. More Subarus in GRM? I could live with that. Even if they do sound funny

They don't sound funny. Everything else does!

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb New Reader
11/25/09 12:18 p.m.

So as I understand it, GRM bought the subscribers and IP for Subiesport and so will have a larger mailing list and more resources to draw on, but since none of the publishing was purchased there will be the same fairly minimal GRM presence in the NW that we have always had. Subiesport HQ won't be turning into GRM Seattle with its own distinct spin on things and a heavy presence on the west coast and rocky mountain events. Can't say I'm too excited - especially since I had to trade my 2000 2.5RS in for an Odyssey. Not that I'm not happy to see GRM succeed, but if the variables were a little different, it seems like it could have been so much more.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/25/09 1:00 p.m.

Ha! Yeah, if GRM Seattle opens its doors, let me know. I'm not holding my breath.

Bryce

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/09 1:36 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Ha! Yeah, if GRM Seattle opens its doors, let me know. I'm not holding my breath. Bryce

I thought you were GRM Seattle ;)

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
11/25/09 5:12 p.m.

Have you ever heard a 3" straight-piped off the turbo DSM? I LOVE CARS THAT SOUND LIKE TRACTORS

I love it when you hear somebody with an STi that has an exhaust haul on it a block away. You just KNOW what it is

Adam_West
Adam_West None
12/11/09 8:28 p.m.

I'm another that subscribes to both. I think I was good through March of next year - what happens to me?

It is good news because one of the criticisms I have with the subaru community up here is that they are by and large not into driving their cars on the track. That is changing and I think that GRM to all those folks will really help raise the knowledge level. I can't tell you how many times I've asked my fellow Subaru brethren if they've read such and such in GRM...usually to blank stares. The one reaction I got was "isn't that a magazine that mainly covers East coast stuff..." So jokes aside I'd encourage you to take advantage of freelance writers and time-attack events that Ryan has cultivated to make SS cogent to this market.

But please do PM how if anyway will I be recomensated for being a subscriber to both. A GRM tshirt would (large) would be awesome and we'd be square

Cheers and best of luck. You have a superior product and culture.

AW

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/13/09 2:46 p.m.

How did I miss this thread?

That's great! Congrats to the GRM gang!

I love the "Powered by Subaru" idea.

How about a reprint of the only (I think) Challenge car to get a Subie Sport article? Oh, wait, that was me- I guess that would be a little self-serving...

Great news- very exciting!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/13/09 2:47 p.m.
Woody wrote: I propose a new monthly feature: "Powered by Subaru". Show us some other car with a Subaru engine swapped in, or better still, show us how to swap a Subaru into another car. Or, even better still, show us how to swap Subaru engines into every other car, GRM style. Don't be afraid to cut and weld. Issue One: Lotus Europa...

That one will take a LOT of cutting and welding- trust me, I've tried.

alfabc
alfabc None
1/23/10 10:34 p.m.

Just found this out. Now my two favorite magazines are rolled into one. GREAT! I wish GRM the best in incorporating more Subaru into their already great magazine. Looking forward to seeing what GRM has in store for us lucky readers.

Cheers,

Bill

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/10 11:37 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
Nashco wrote: Ha! Yeah, if GRM Seattle opens its doors, let me know. I'm not holding my breath. Bryce
I thought you were GRM Seattle ;)

No, he's GRM Portland.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Go563gwGax9fSsWVbsV8gHqZeXxA0VLs7q3lJfrJnNDnnzozeLIpykgnIXFaiCOb