JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/31/18 10:31 a.m.
feature_image

We’re old enough to remember when the 1991 MR2 Turbo first came out, and now it’s old enough to start needing some refreshing to keep its spry personality and fun driving demeanor intact. Tonight our MR2 Turbo undergoes some suspension surgery with the installation of some adjustable Koni strut inserts. Installing struts in an MR2 of this era is a …

Read the rest of the story

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
1/31/18 10:45 a.m.

Installing Koni inserts on a 1991 MR2 was one of the first real automotive projects I undertook- I might tune in just for the nostalgia!

JG Pasterjak
1/31/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

We'll put on some Icicle Works or something to get you in the mood.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/31/18 7:48 p.m.

We're going live in just a few. 

David S. Wallens
1/31/18 8:13 p.m.
Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
1/31/18 11:59 p.m.

Helpful video - I'm doing struts on my '89 AW11 in a couple of weeks with Konis (did them 15 years ago with Tokikos, so not my first time), so the refresher was useful - very similar ot the AW11.  Also, good to see that I'm not the only one who has unforeseen problems arise!  Thanks!

JG Pasterjak
2/1/18 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

Yeah, it was very similar to my AW11 experiences. Except the last couple AW11s I did I just cut the spring perches off and converted them to coilovers :)

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
2/1/18 8:43 p.m.

Yeah, definitely have to do that to fit any wide tire up front, used to run 195/55-14 Kumhos on 7" rims back in the day, I use 205/50-15 R1Rs on the street now - nearest autocross site is a 4 to 6 hour drive, one way, so I don't get to race much anymore, so the MR2 is being set up more for great everyday street duty.  I've had the car 18 years now,plan to keep it forever.

David S. Wallens
2/1/18 8:51 p.m.

Hi Jim!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LLfkEJyvd1GdEVtPwdMr66e4YiL7UMo9z04rnARjZilk1loVQzqSWCRULFUCYAJA