EricM
EricM Reader
8/18/08 2:02 p.m.

So it looks like I will be keeping my 1993 Sonoma Pick up for a while. ( I was going to sell it, but it comes in handy just enough to justify keeping it, like this weekend I pick up furnature and stuff...)

Anyway, as a GM it has 4X6 speakers in the front and the rear of the cab as those funky 4X10s. One of the rear speakers is blown, and the other is buzzing. The front left speaker works fine, but the other resonds to about half the frequency range.

Anyone know about a grassroots priced replacements? Would like a +1 or +2 over the stock stuff. I won't be running an amp, just want somthing I can stand to listen to.

Thanks, GRM knows all...

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
8/18/08 2:51 p.m.

I've had good luck with Boston Acoustics. Crutchfield is a good place to shop, but not necessarily to buy.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/18/08 3:03 p.m.

I've used Blaupunkt quite a bit. For the money they sound pretty good. Also, if you shop through Crutchfield, the have an outlet dept. that can save a few dollars.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
8/18/08 3:09 p.m.

Here you go...

http://www.partsexpress.com/speakers.cfm

For example, they have the 4x10's for as low as $23/pair.

No affiliation but happy customer.

EricM
EricM Reader
8/18/08 3:24 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: Here you go... http://www.partsexpress.com/speakers.cfm For example, they have the 4x10's for as low as $23/pair. No affiliation but happy customer.

Thanks! that is exactly what I was looking for!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/18/08 3:37 p.m.

I've had really good luck with Crutchfield's scratch and dent section.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/08 5:11 p.m.

I bought my last pair of pioneers for the Miata @ Walmart. No bullshizzle. Work great! $40 for two.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/18/08 5:36 p.m.

sonicelectronix.com Spent $150 total for all new speakers in my car and it sounds a million times better.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/19/08 8:23 a.m.

JBL sells factory refurbs on eBay. Cheap. JBL has forgotten more about speakers than anyone else will ever know. I lost a bid on a GTO427 at the last second when my connection blew as I was sniping. Bought it from someone else for double that auction. Put them in the bike last weekend.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/08 1:43 p.m.

I've always had a good experience with Infinity Reference-series speakers. They have a great response range and don't need a lot of wattage to make good sound. You can generally find them for a significantly marked-down price on eBay.

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/19/08 2:03 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: Here you go... http://www.partsexpress.com/speakers.cfm For example, they have the 4x10's for as low as $23/pair. No affiliation but happy customer.

I'll second the recommendation for Parts Express. Decent product, good price, good service. Not top shelf stuff, but it's always worked well enough for me.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
8/19/08 6:50 p.m.

Seriously, send me an email as I have 4x6 alpine two ways, nearly new, that I have no use for.

$30 shipped and they're yours.

If you want really cheap then hit radio shack for their paper speakers. Paper makes them lighter so a cheap OEM headunit will push them just fine and it's better than broken ones. They'll last a few years but don't expect miracles.

YaNi
YaNi New Reader
8/19/08 8:00 p.m.

For under $80 I upgraded the POS GM paper speakers (4x6 front, 6x9 rear) in my cavalier to 3-way Pioneer's. Difference is night and day; it has become almost irritating listening to OEM speakers.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
8/19/08 10:48 p.m.

been into car audio befor i could drive

get soem cheap speakers. walmart or cruthcfield scrathc and dent coem to mind or hit ebay for some used speakers I love boston accostics and quart. but and here is the bug but. parts express is good and if oyu have the time ot talk to soem one call madisound.com excelent drivers. just be very clear with a sales rep about what you want ot do withthem.

if the speakersis't actually smokeing or broken and has no rips you are better off getting an amp. you decribe broken speakers. so replace them. but in lots of cars I have had a cheap alpine 4 channel amp off of eaby say 40 bucks for a 35x4 on fuctioning stock speakers sounds better thanthe same $40 on new speakers. I mean $40 including the wiring harness at walmart for heavy wire. and rcas etc.

also never pay for 3 ways. can a company really make 3 drivers for the price of 2
there is nothign wrong with paper. just dotn get it wet. its light and stiff so its more efficient palys louder with the same amount of power.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
8/20/08 12:41 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: I've always had a good experience with Infinity Reference-series speakers. They have a great response range and don't need a lot of wattage to make good sound. You can generally find them for a significantly marked-down price on eBay.

Let me second that. I've been building (good) home speakers for 20yrs, and wouldn't bother making my own auto components set if I could find Infinity reference. I have them in most of my vehicles, as well as my kids.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
8/20/08 8:29 a.m.
suprf1y wrote: I have them in most of my vehicles, as well as my kids.

You put speakers in your kids? OUCH!

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/20/08 9:03 a.m.

Eric, I'm gonna second what ScooterFrog said: a good amp will make a big difference in sound quality. I have good factory speakers in my daily driver (LS400 with Nakamichi sound) but the factory amp would distort at good bass levels. (Not talking "boom car" levels, it's only an 8" woofer, but just "solid bass.") I redid the system using a 300w multi-channel amp, and it sounds awesome. Now if I could just eliminate that last little bit of ignition whine...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/08 9:19 a.m.

Culby, connect all of your grounds.

Amplifier, radio and chassis. Most loops will disappear.

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/20/08 11:08 a.m.

The amp is in the trunk, grounded to the chassis back there. Head unit is grounded behind the dash. Should I do more?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/20/08 11:16 a.m.

I shop crutchfield, then buy ebay for half the price.

I've had the infinity referrence in my old svo. They weren't bad. NEEDED a sub imo.

Plan to give some JL's a try in the new P71

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YtGKK1rQkyrvnq2o8tk3Rke9eHre5pdWhMJr7DX2CLAWVOqCdIpU4hhv9wz00Ei5