1 2 3 4
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/15/08 10:10 a.m.

As much as I have no use for jrfan, he's fundamentally right on this one. Why do people have to look down their noses at... anybody? For the love of Pete, NASCAR, drags, drifting, autocross, rally and road racing are all motorsports and I'd frickin love to be doing any one of them this weekend rather than socializing and working on the house.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/15/08 12:55 p.m.

At Thunderhill last week, a guy showed up that everyone rolled their eyes at and looked down on.

He rolled in a bit after noon in a Mustang GT with some Roush or other outfit tuning. He never got out of his car, he just sort of cruised up and down the paddock and occasionally revved his motor, then left.

Granted we weren't looking down at his car. More looking down at what a giant douche you had to be to think that a bunch of people actually flogging their cars on track would be impressed by someone revving the engine on their car.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/15/08 12:59 p.m.
kreb wrote: Why do people have to look down their noses at... anybody? For the love of Pete, NASCAR, drags, drifting, autocross, rally and road racing are all motorsports

That's the same conclusion I came to several years ago. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean you also have to dislike it and just because I like it doesn't mean you have to.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/08 2:55 p.m.

I only look down my nose at people who have personally proven to me they deserve it.

I do have to say this though, Nascar fans do kind of scare me. I have driven by Dover Downs on race weekend and I was quite surprised at the new zip code that popped up around that track in trailers. The city must love the cash influx!

racerdave600
racerdave600 New Reader
7/15/08 3:37 p.m.

Why do you think we were nervous when we showed up for our first Nascar race with the Toyota (the first in Nascar). It was all good though, because a lot of rednecks drive Toyota trucks. Now if it had been a Honda, that would have been a different story!

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/15/08 3:41 p.m.

WTF is a "grasstot?"

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/15/08 3:45 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: WTF is a "grasstot?"

Small, bitesize nuggets of compressed grass. You fry them up and serve them as a side with school lunches.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/15/08 10:14 p.m.

any one try a BigMo bar yet, I was looking for one earlier and couldnt find it

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
7/15/08 10:21 p.m.

I have the same kind of stuff happen in Red Lion (small town in southern Pa). My dad and i once got made fun of because our 1961 Volkswagen "hippie truck" as some locals call it is lowered and not raised as it clearly should be, but that being said we have never had any problems at a local autocross.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/15/08 10:45 p.m.
kreb wrote: As much as I have no use for jrfan, he's fundamentally right on this one. Why do people have to look down their noses at... anybody? For the love of Pete, NASCAR, drags, drifting, autocross, rally and road racing are all motorsports and I'd frickin love to be doing any one of them this weekend rather than socializing and working on the house.

Oh please, not driftng. That may be the one "motorsport" I cannot stomach. That and tractor pulling

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/15/08 10:48 p.m.

^^what about demo derbie^^

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/15/08 10:49 p.m.
MGAMGB wrote: Bigot is one of those words like irony, that most people have no idea what it really means so it gets over used and often used incorrectly. Bigotry is a label usually wielded by holier-than-thou types who are, ironically, being bigots themselves. Defined: A bigot is a person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own, and bigotry is the corresponding state of mind. By definition, the OP is a bigot. Everyone is in one topic or another. Despite what our anything-goes society is trying to tell you (and usually trying to impose by law), not everyone agrees with each other, not everyone is the same, and just because you thing you're right, doesn't mean you are. I stopped caring what others thought about my clothes, haircut, and car when I left high school. Seriously, who cares? Does it matter?

Incorrect, the OP is not a bigot because even though the OP does not like monster trucks, drifting and has a passing interest in NASCAR due to exposure to it in the pre-spec car days, I can appreciate and espectthe time talent and passion others put into their respective pursuits. I never judge another competitior by what they drive. This week we had a Lotus Exige and a 80s Toyota Corolla run, I respected both equally and actually would favor the Toyota (FX-16)

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/16/08 9:19 a.m.
MGAMGB wrote: Vegan hashbrowns +

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll stick with good old-fashioned red-blooded red meat eatin' bigotry. Thanks anyway.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
7/16/08 9:30 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: ^^what about demo derbie^^

I went to my first demo derbie about a year ago. Interesting. I think 8 track racing would be more interesting.

I went to the Fall race last year at 'dega (I'm only about 30 minutes from the track). It was interesting in person. I still don't watch it on TV.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
7/16/08 10:09 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Bloomsburg, not firmiliar with it,

I am. I grew up a stone's throw from there. The 4 wheel jamboree brings out rednecks in droves. Ignore 'em, they're idiots.

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/16/08 11:44 a.m.
TransMaro wrote:
gamby wrote:
TransMaro wrote: My car is like the Millenium Falcon, it may not look like much but it's got it where it counts ('scuse me, I geeked out for a minute there)..
So it didn't make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs???
A parsec is a measure of distance, not time. Gahhh! You're making me do it again!! Shawn -who likes STOCK car racing but not the "racertainment" that is passed off as racing to millions of beer-goggled rednecks-

There's something in wiki that explains that since the Kessel run has you dancing between a couple black holes, a shorter Kessel run shows the ship is not only fast, but you are a pretty manly man tempting fate clipping black hole apexs, or apexi

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/08 11:52 a.m.

I believe I already quoted that on the last page

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture New Reader
7/16/08 2:01 p.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: Jesus, you people ( yes, I said it, "people" ) depress me. Baseball is the number one sport, football is number two. That any form of auto-racing in these man-bear-pig days makes number three y'all should be bloody thankful! Feck! Can't believe I can't discuss anything racing here in the nation's capital, and then to go on my favorite car site and see Cartmanesque bullying/denegration on a ferkin' car site. Sheeish! Rant Off!

This along with the WWE quote is correct in my opinion, but you have to remember... alot of these "red necks" are fans from the late 80's and earlier... before Nascar became the abomination it is today.

So many are #3 fans because he would win against the racers that nascar wanted to win, by any means nessary. dirty or not. hence, he was the Intimidator.

Why do you think so many former DE fans are Tony Stewart fans now?

If any of you watch at all (I'll admit- I'm a motorsports fan: I watch when I can, along with any other kind of motorsport) You will notice that when ever Stewart speaks up against nascar, suddenly he is in the back of the pack for a coupla races with odd or un explained failures. The opposite for Kyle Busch, many of thoes people think that he is "in" with nascar. he will win any way possible when he is supposed to, or do something dirty to someone who is threatening, for example, a Jimmie Johnson win at Lowes.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture New Reader
7/16/08 2:12 p.m.

My previous comment was about the old-school fans that will admit it, btw.

Many will not.

seann
seann New Reader
7/16/08 2:46 p.m.

I've had quite a few people tell me that they thought it was very weird when I told them I was into cars and motorsports. "I always pictured just rednecks being into cars" And it's not just an american thing people from germany have told me that folks there look down on people who modify their cars (this really surprised me).

So you, see to everyone else, we are all rednecks.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
7/16/08 3:35 p.m.

My favorite Nascar driver is Bill Elliott. That should give some indication what type of Nascar fan I am.

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
7/16/08 5:58 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
TransMaro wrote:
gamby wrote:
TransMaro wrote: My car is like the Millenium Falcon, it may not look like much but it's got it where it counts ('scuse me, I geeked out for a minute there)..
So it didn't make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs???
A parsec is a measure of distance, not time. Gahhh! You're making me do it again!!
Actually, the Kessel run was measured in distance, not time. It required (requires)a freighter such as the millenium Falcon to skirt past several Empiral fleet emplacements AND a few natural blockakes. A faster ship could do the run in less distance, saving time and fuel. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run

Oh...

Oh my.

lateapexer
lateapexer
7/16/08 6:17 p.m.

I'm a Nascar fan and a formula 1 fan and I autocross an RX7 and I love bike racing including speedway. Everyone take a valium. Performance is performance and NASCAR is nothing more than a giant spec serries with drivers who could probably succeed in most other iterations of motorsport.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/16/08 9:46 p.m.
MGAMGB wrote: So, you're saying you agree with them that your car should be the scorn of obeservers? If not, then guess what... People get in an uproar over the slightest bit of hurt feelings anymore. Bigots? Come on. The second post has it right. I'm simply saying toughen up...like people used to. No offense blah, blah, blah... You are right though, the end is near.

Skin is very thick. One has to have a thick skin with a garage full of post-muscle car Mopars. I was just amazed that I was being ridiculed by idiots driving rot-holed pickup trucks. Kind of like having your job made fun of by the assitant night manager at the local clown burger. What is it they say about people in glass houses?

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/17/08 12:36 a.m.
lateapexer wrote: Performance is performance and NASCAR is nothing more than a giant spec serries with drivers who could probably succeed in most other iterations of motorsport.

+1 Since '89 every IROC series winner was a nascar driver. OTOH, it was oval only for many of those years,

Anyway, from a spectator point of veiw, I have to agree with some coment I read on the old forum, somthing about flushing a pack of skittles down a toilet and watching the pretty colors go round in circles.

BUT, this does not mean I dont have respect for the guys that can cut it, I admit that those guys are better drivers than I can hope to be.

My only other gripe is how far from "stock" these cars are compared to, say, late '60s. The last Winston Cup car to be based off of a production RWD coupe was the Thunderbird. Then everything was based off FWD vehicles till the Charger rolled around. This is due more towards detroit under going the FWD revolution in the late '80s thoe.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cc0xhwphqgjRoIKRQi08GLPffeDr55CzVG7wIVBZQUGqgzn10pagudUi94GKy9bY