1 2 3 4
lateapexer
lateapexer New Reader
7/17/08 8:26 a.m.

I used to drive Austin Cooper S's all the time and tiny motorcycles, but now I'm secure in my manhood and I don't cry when someone asks how many cylinders my RX7 has.

Like it or not NASCAR has marketed itself well even if it's the automotive equivalent of pro wrestling. Sometimes ther's nothing better than a beer and tire smoke.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/17/08 9:13 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Around here if I'm at a party or etc. I have sorta learned to keep a low profile about my car hobby. Why? It usually goes something like this: *snip*usual stupid racing conversation*snip*

Wow I suffer from the exact same problem. The worst is the people who think it's ZOMGSODANGEROUS!!!!11one

I've also been harassed by ricers for my car not being ricey enough. My car has 7" of ground clearance, and the shape of the car gives the illusion that it has even more ground clearance than that.

Ricer: "When are you going to lower your car?"

Me: "When I get some coilovers I might reduce the ride height by an inch or two"

Ricer: "Nah bro you need to cut those springs and slam that whip!"

Me: insert long talk about camber, bump steer and roll centers

Ricer: Don't worry about that just slam it!

Me: That would be a stupid thing to do.

Ricer: You're so lame and nerdy and faggy!

P90Puma
P90Puma Reader
7/18/08 7:03 p.m.

Gameboy ^

At the end of the day they are still a ricer. Who cares if they think less of you, their opinion doesn't matter anyways.

I try to avoid speaking to them altogether, at first they quiz you, and when/if they realize you actually know far more then them, you are bombarded with endless stupid questions. You try to to teach them something, but they never learn.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
7/18/08 7:14 p.m.

If someone says something stupid, just talk stupid back to them.

They will think you're dumb and leave you alone.

Shawn

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/19/08 7:17 a.m.

Man o man... what a jaded crowd in here.

I've had plenty of ricers try quizzing me on why I won't street race them and why all I've done to the (street) car is a K&N and an H&R rear bar. They can't believe I've tracked the car with stock brakes because a big brake kit is so much better.

But then I explain some things I've learned and actually experienced. When you've had a pro take your car out on VIR and knock ten seconds off your own best lap, you realize the car doesn't need anything... it's you. I try to appeal to their own self confidence and invite them out as new drivers to any event I'm hoping to drive myself. When was the last time you took some driver training? Do you really think you learned it all in highschool? I didn't. And lemme tell you, it is soooo much fun. Wanna go?

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I'd like to see any ricer/redneck break out of their mold and push themselves to learn something new. Liking cars is one thing. Loving them is another.

Ftr, it was Ian Baas who showed me around VIR last year in my own car. I've been sick for most of the year in between, but that is not going to stop me from getting back out there and looking for the speed he had.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
7/19/08 8:54 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: If someone says something stupid, just talk stupid back to them. They will think you're dumb and leave you alone. Shawn

Not always true; sometimes the idiot is trying to bait you into an idiot's argument, which nobody can win. "Never argue with an idiot; they will drag you down to their level, where they can beat you with experience."

TransMaro
TransMaro New Reader
7/20/08 1:08 a.m.

I don't have the time to explain why my second gen T/A has subframe connectors but no slapper bars or chrome diff cover. I have far too many projects to spend my time with people that won't understand anyway.

Someone who wants to learn is one thing. Spending time explaining to someone who could care less is another.

Shawn

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
7/23/08 11:03 a.m.

I've autocrossed with the NEPA region too. I find ignoring them is the best medicine. If not ask them to run and see what their redneck cars can do compared to yours. In most cases experience is always faster than raw HEMI power.

Hell ask Adam to run his POS Saturn against any of their fastest most powerful cars and put their foot where their mouth is. And when they are all done whining and crying that Adam has all these bolt ons, mention to them that his car is made of plastic which creates static electricity which gives it 100 more hp.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
7/23/08 11:18 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: The first time I showed up with my Neon at a local Porsche Club autocross, I got a lot of "the snicker". In the following 3 years of subsequent events with them, the only Porsche that has run quicker than my Neon was a trailered full race Carrera. I don't get "the snicker" anymore.

That was me a couple of years ago when I showed up in my 91 Civic Si with 100-120hp on street tires. People saying who invited the rice rocket with more stickers than tires. I was only 1/10th of a second behind the Porsche Carrera 4 with 400+hp on a 117 second course. Everyone's excuse was that it rained 1 hour before the event started. Pfffft. Porsche owners though I had NOS or turbo.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
7/23/08 11:19 a.m.
ratghia wrote: I have the same kind of stuff happen in Red Lion (small town in southern Pa). My dad and i once got made fun of because our 1961 Volkswagen "hippie truck" as some locals call it is lowered and not raised as it clearly should be, but that being said we have never had any problems at a local autocross.

Hey neighbor :) <-lives in Lancaster.

Type Q
Type Q Reader
7/23/08 7:46 p.m.
scotaku wrote: I've had plenty of ricers try quizzing me on why I won't street race them and why all I've done to the (street) car is a K&N and an H&R rear bar. They can't believe I've tracked the car with stock brakes because a big brake kit is so much better.

Last year I had a ricer who was visiting the girl that lived next door look in my garage to check out my teal STS prepared Civic.

Ricer: "Dude, were you following a red CRX yesterday? Some guy in a Civic that color was following my buddie and me in his CRX on Woodside road yesterday and he couldn't keep up. "(Big Grin).

Me: "If it was me and I wanted to keep with you, I would have. But it wasn't, I was not on that part of Woodside yesterday. There is another Civic the same color as mine a couple blocks over. Maybe it was him."

Ricer: (Disappointed)"Oh, never mind then."

I then asked if they had ever heard of autocross and would they like to check out a venue to go fast cheap and legally. I'd be happy to show them around. "Nah, I don't think so."

Maybe if I been a little more excited abuot the kill story, they would been alittle more interested in an autox.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/08 10:06 p.m.

[obi wan kenobi voice] The size of a spectators mouth is usually inversely proportionate to their talent for what they comment on.
[/obi wan kenobi voice]

It is the quiet guy or girl driving the nondescript small car. They clean every ones clock, say nothing and go on there way. I try to be that person when ever possible.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
7/24/08 8:28 a.m.

Four pages of blathering because someone thought your car was funny looking?

Here is some solid advice for all of you from down under (language NSFW) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh6pZQX22CQ

Luke
Luke HalfDork
7/24/08 8:30 a.m.

^ I guessed it would be that video.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a9Ch37AXS3sP01KbIn4ZHjE9By3jzQaIqzLRLb5o01DKLe8ZdY91rkGXT4mgBOEv