1 2 3 4 5
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/15/13 7:50 a.m.

I saw that GC was on last night so I gave it another try. Lets just say I had surgery on my jaw about a month back. I would rather do that again that have to watch another episode of GC. Hell RU Faster than a redneck is way better than GC. I actually am starting to like Fast and Loud. That show is growing on me.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/15/13 8:39 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Time to troll. If it is a "Reality Show" why are there writers in the credits?

Even reality shows have writers, just as a documentary does. You still create a story arc and move it along with voice over. Harder than it sounds.

As for this particular show, I haven't seen it. The promos really turned me off. Looks as bad as you guys are describing.

Caddyfixr
Caddyfixr None
1/9/14 7:53 p.m.

I really enjoy most car shows where they make a "Jewell" out of the "rough". I totally hate the shows that are 75% talking and yaking about absolutely nothing. A perfect example is the show Graveyard Carz. As a few others have stated, I recorded (thankfully) a marathon of this show and not ONE wrench was turned, absolutely NO educational/tips/DIY etc information was given for the "do it yourselfer's. What a total waste of time. It could of been a perfect opportunity to have given and taught viewers all sorts of tips and tricks of the trade. But Noooo, just a bunch of griping, complaining, and self promotion. These episodes could be (and should be) done in 30 mins. Now on the opposite side of the coin is a show called "wheeler Dealers". If you can get past the heavy brittish accent this is a pretty good show. Now there is just a wee touch of useless filler/chatter but once Ed (the technician) gets the car he is very good about explaining problems, how things work and how to fix them. One thing for SURE is I will never ever watch Graveyard Carz again and only wish I could have what time I did spend watching it (in fast fwd mode) back on my life clock. Maybe if any of the Velocity channel decision makers would search for and read all the negative comments about GY Carz that are everywhere, they would DUMP this show kick that egotistical shop owner to the curb.

Caddyfixr
Caddyfixr New Reader
1/9/14 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar: what a PERFECT word. "Unwatchable". That says it all

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/9/14 8:03 p.m.
Carro Atrezzi wrote: Why can't we get good shows over here like 'Wheeler Dealers'?

Love Wheeler Dealers, very real and fun to watch. Reminds me of my youth fixing up old fun cars, but they do a better job and actually make a profit

Caddyfixr
Caddyfixr New Reader
1/9/14 8:17 p.m.

Yep, wheeler dlrs is awesome. They get right with it, Ed the tech is good about showing the viewers how to fix stuff. Another thing I enjoy is the fact that there is no "country hick" sounding narrator like there are on many shows. Like the narrator on "junkyard wars". Man, I just can't stand that voice or ones like it

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
1/10/14 6:56 a.m.

Is it possible that the GYC guys aren't CAPABLE of teaching anything? It's at least suspicious that I never see them getting dirty.

Are there any of those suspicions with Chip Foose and his A-Team? No.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
1/10/14 7:09 a.m.

I think I posted earlier on in this thread. I Just jumped in here so I haven't read a good portion since then and I will likely be repeating what has already been said but.......................this is just about the most useless show ever produced. They never really do anything but fight and yell at each other. The boss is the most insulting guy on the planet, degrading his employees and complaining about everything. I refuse to watch this trash anymore. Ridiculous nonsense.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/10/14 10:56 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I have to concur it is probably the worst show and it fails completely because of the people not the car part (because there really is none). The title has huge potential. Hell get a half dozen of us nut cases from GRM and give us 2K and tell us we have to go get a car from a junkyard and restore it. Follow each restoration exploring the technical and logistics of the restoration of each car getting in to some details about the do's and don'ts and what to look for with the particular car and or some technical inside in to some of the tools and techniques used in the restoration. (keep the soap-opera stuff to a minimum) with a build budget of 30K. At the end the cars a judged by chip Foose. The winner keeps any one of the 6 cars built. The the other 5 are cars are auctioned off with all $$$$ going to charity. Make it a multy part show (say 6 or 7 episodes) with the judging and the auction the final episode. If you have watched the show "Rides" Use that style and that commentator for the show. I think I would watch it!

I don't want to change the topic from all the TV bashing, but can anybody say kickstarter?!? Would be cool to throw in motorcycles as an option.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
1/10/14 11:22 a.m.

Mostly grown males speaking of how horrible reality TV shows are :). More entertaining than the shows themselves.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/10/14 12:05 p.m.

Graveyard cars? More like Graveyard threads. Amirite?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
1/10/14 1:05 p.m.
Powar wrote: Graveyard cars? More like Graveyard threads. Amirite?

Is that a knock on reviving old threads? Whether or not it was, I see that all the time on various forums. People getting laughed at for reviving an old topic as if it were a moronic thing to do...

I never understood that.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/10/14 1:13 p.m.

I am just curious how they manage to FIND the old threads. Reviving them really is not an issue it's just a common method used by the Canoe purveyors.

On Topics: I did notice (not that I watch much) that the Overhauling show seems to go out of it's way now to at least provide SOME tips / techniques on how to do certain things in a restoration. (I am guessing this was the result of viewer feedback)

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
1/10/14 1:18 p.m.

In reply to aircooled: They don't show much which should change but at least you see the crew hard at work in the background.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/10/14 2:10 p.m.
aircooled wrote: I am just curious how they manage to FIND the old threads. Reviving them really is not an issue it's just a common method used by the Canoe purveyors.

This. Exactly this.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/10/14 2:36 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: It is unfortunate. The fact that graveyard cars is recorded a few miles from my door and the people involved are part of the old guy cruisin' scene here has me a little more familiar with it than I like to admit. The shop owner has been trying to get an auto restoration reality show on the air for almost a decade. After a dozen pilots it took stooping to this level to get picked up by a network. The show is revoltingly terrible but now that it is on the air the people involved strut around like rock stars. bad news any way you look at it

We can pass around a collection can to bail you out of jail for knocking the building onto them all with a bulldozer.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/10/14 3:36 p.m.

That really nice graveyard of rusty gold and no Saw-Zall or projects?

Kardashian Kar TV......? Oy.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/14 3:39 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: The title has huge potential. Hell get a half dozen of us nut cases from GRM and give us 2K and tell us we have to go get a car from a junkyard and restore it. Follow each restoration exploring the technical and logistics of the restoration of each car getting in to some details about the do's and don'ts *SNIP* How about get a half dozen GRM nut cases and film them building and racing a LeMons car... I think I would watch it!

Fixed that for you...

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/10/14 7:13 p.m.
1966stang wrote:
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Kill the TV! I love not having a clue about popular culture, serves me well.
The last time I regularly watched TV, my three sons and I dream of Jeanie were in syndication as regular once a week shows. Both shows had great 60's Pontiacs on them....what's the problem...have things gotten worse in the 40 years I haven't been watching TV?

Not sure this is a recipe for sanity...you exchanged one salt lick for another.

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/10/14 7:17 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: Well, for some horrible reason I surfed past this suck-assed show again last night looking for any new premiers that might be on, As I whisked on by the little fatty was in a go-kart . . . SO lame ! ! ! Looked like Magilla Gorilla in it. They're evidently STILL trying to figure out what a wrench actually does. Just now Googled "graveyard carz sucks" and it seems that the entire world has spoken and agrees . . . . PLEASE tell me these touch-holes have been cancelled ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? Oh, dean1484 . . . that's the best idea for a "reality show" yet ! ! !

I posted awhile back how I enjoyed this show. After suffering through their Smokey and the Bandit episode, I realize just how wrong I was. They have truly jumped the shark.

moorwhine
moorwhine
1/14/14 7:50 a.m.

What a total waste of air space, never again will I waste my off time watching this trash! Being a GM/Mopar lover I was expecting to see some old school tuning and restoration. I taped 3 episodes and extremely happy that I did because it allowed me to fast forward the sitting/laying around scenes (probably 1/2 the show). I still haven't figured out who is suppose to be in charge of these clowns? Got them in a park in one scene, talking about animal E36 M3 in numerous scenes and hiding tools......really grown up. Given what I did watch there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that I would ever recommend this shop for a repair job and an equal chance of me ever watching this show again!

moorwhine
moorwhine New Reader
1/14/14 8:05 a.m.

In reply to DoctorBlade: As far as this program is concerned, feel blessed that you don't...........

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
1/15/14 12:44 p.m.
Powar wrote:
aircooled wrote: I am just curious how they manage to FIND the old threads. Reviving them really is not an issue it's just a common method used by the Canoe purveyors.
This. Exactly this.

Google Search.

This is going way off topic, but if there's a particular car or issue I am lurking/learning about, and I know a board is fairly competent, I'll search Google for that topic specifically at that site only.

It may give a thread from 5 years ago, but if the content is meaningful and relevant, what's the harm in bumping it back up to carry the conversation forward? New members may have joined or owned a car in question, new problems may have arose, etc.

I've never understand why people look so negatively on it. I'd rather see an old pertinent thread revived rather than 5 new threads started every 6 months on the same topic.

and back on topic...

I tried watching this particular "car show". I set a really low bar for car shows, because I'd rather have a crappy car show rather than another honey boo boo or whatever. That said, I found this one unwatchable.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
1/18/14 6:30 p.m.

"After suffering through their Smokey and the Bandit episode, I realize just how wrong I was . . . "

I'm TOTALLY with you there Brother. That show and I have parted company for good. Apologies to Ranger50 for even hinting that the Fast and Loud was anything but complete crap ! ! !

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
1/18/14 10:05 p.m.

Good to hear that nothing's changed since disconnecting our cable box in 2001.

Imagine what you could do with an extra 1-3 hrs a day...

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mJF8BIgEnDSUUh48Kltu4wkuCniYce6eDzuOqI7JhUzStHLDpwutSy9UsrVimFZE