1 2 3
Prototypical
Prototypical None
4/3/16 12:53 p.m.

Long time lurker, first time caller. I sold my '09 GTI yesterday (hallelujah!) and I am on the hunt for a replacement. After a long history with VW and a bad experience with the MKV I'm done with the brand for awhile.

Here is my impossible list of wants - does anything fit the bill?

• Reliable. Doesn't have to be a Civic DX but better than an old VW.
  • Manual. No exceptions.
  • Torquey. I prefer near-instant power to high revving screamers.
  • Responsive. I like a communicative car. May do some amount of auto-x.
  • Comfy. I've been spoiled by VWs and Volvos, so a FiST may be an adjustment.
  • 15k or less. I could go higher if absolutely necessary but I'd rather go lower.

4 doors aren't a requirement but with dogs/eventual kids it could be helpful (although we have a XC70 for DD and hauling duties).

That said, my options so far are: Volvo C30; 128i M Sport; Mazdaspeed3 (1G); Fiesta ST.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I appreciate the help!

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/3/16 1:14 p.m.

Is300 ticks all these boxes for half your budget. Spend the rest on a swift racing technology turbo

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/3/16 1:16 p.m.

Would Corvette be comfy enough?
It hits all the other marks.
C4 or C5 can be had well under the $15k mark.

Infiniti G37 is the back seat version of the Nissan 370z and that back seat can be had in either 2 door or 4 door.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/3/16 1:22 p.m.

'12 or earlier Accord EX V6 6spd Coupe.

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/3/16 1:25 p.m.

Based on the instant power requirement I think you need a manual Leaf.

Prototypical
Prototypical New Reader
4/3/16 1:37 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Would Corvette be comfy enough? It hits all the other marks. C4 or C5 can be had well under the $15k mark. Infiniti G37 is the back seat version of the Nissan 370z and that back seat can be had in either 2 door or 4 door.

I've never really liked Corvettes based on ride quality and driving position. I'm also in Nebraska so gobs of horsepower + lightweight body + RWD + winter driving can be challenging.

I forgot to include a late-model G35 on my original list but I'm definitely open to that. IS300s are a good option too but tough to find in manual.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/3/16 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Prototypical:

Really not hard to find one with a manual, people always say that, but on the average, I'd say at any given moment there are two+ on a local craigslist search. Most (all) manuals I've seen are lsd equipped too.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/3/16 1:56 p.m.

I always liked the Volvo C-30 but don't know much about them.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/16 2:14 p.m.
Murphy wrote: Based on the instant power requirement I think you need a manual Leaf.

It's a single ratio gearbox with no clutch or torque converter. You could say that it's not an automatic.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
4/3/16 2:16 p.m.

I've got requirements similar to yours. My list includes the Infiniti G35/37 twins and an Acura TL, preferably Type S.

Is the 128i below $15k?

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/3/16 2:17 p.m.

My list would be:
Accord V6 6spd coupe
G35 or G37
Mazdaspeed3
FiST or FoST (you may find a base trim around your budget)

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
4/3/16 2:19 p.m.

IS300 and MazdaSpeed3 would be the two I gravitate toward.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/16 2:49 p.m.

VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
4/3/16 3:41 p.m.

Mustang, Camaro, Infinity G37

But for comfortable, powerful, responsive and AWD Audi has the market cornered. S4

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/3/16 3:44 p.m.

Spped3 was the first thing to come to mind.

Prototypical
Prototypical New Reader
4/3/16 4:44 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: In reply to Prototypical: Really not hard to find one with a manual, people always say that, but on the average, I'd say at any given moment there are two+ on a local craigslist search. Most (all) manuals I've seen are lsd equipped too.

True, although IS300s are much less plentiful in the middle of the country and the thought of driving a 15+ year old car across the country (many with 120k+ mi on them) isn't encouraging. If the right one popped up I would definitely consider if PPI and shipping were options.

TL - I drove an 06 manual and found it a bit sterile. Maybe the Type S might correct that though? Would it be too big for autocross?

128i - early models are definitely at or below 15k although M Specs are hard to find.

Accord V6 Coupes aren't bad; did they do a V6 manual in sedan form?

TDI Cup - a diesel VW is about the last place I want to go right now. Lol. I might consider a GLI or a 4-door GTI but only under warranty (tough to do in the price range I'm working with).

Any major turn offs for the MS3?

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
4/3/16 5:31 p.m.

S60R/V70R... might be a bit of a stretch for reliability? But 15k should land you a very nice one.

If you're looking at the C30, there's also the S40 and V50.

The nicest Saab 9-5 Aero in the world.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
4/3/16 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Prototypical:

Accord V6 manual sedan was '06-'07 only, though they seem to trade at the same price as a similar Acura TL, and I doubt they're more exciting.

jere
jere HalfDork
4/3/16 7:09 p.m.

"Does such a car exist"

Yes

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/16 8:01 p.m.

Winter driving High HP rwd cars in Nebraska is not that big of a challenge with the right tires. I drove V8 mustangs there for years with winter tires and never had any issues.

I would have a MS3 well before I'd look at the C30. I wasn't a fan of the MS3 long term though but that is more just that I found it loud and I tend to drive long distances when I drive.

I really like my G37. I mean it's a 13.5 1/4 mile car and can cruise for days. In journey trim it's not as sharp as a GTI but I would also drive it across country any day of the week. In the same lines, the TL-S is not a horrible option either.

I wouldn't put a 128I in the $15K price range in the reliable category personally but that is just me.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
4/3/16 8:17 p.m.

I have a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 I'm about to sell for under your budget. It's not perfect but it's a lot less than ones that are.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/16 8:35 p.m.

Drive the FiST and if you can't wipe the grin off your face within 2 hours, you'll know you have your car.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
4/3/16 9:14 p.m.

BMW 335i with a JB4? Ludicrously fast and torquey, more reliable than an older VW, manual, comfy, responsive, and close to budget.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/16 9:26 p.m.

I'm looking at an 01 M5 manual for $14K with a buddy tomorrow. ..

chiodos
chiodos Dork
4/3/16 10:22 p.m.

Bmw with turbo motor. 135i, 335i, heck even a 535i. Otherwise with your requirement of "near instant torque" you want a v8...at g8s at that price point yet?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RWQitWao3kgjm0vMkynLQbEPOxr7gZrcoR6LDAmAw3VEhgZOsBg8J2dJQetqPRLO