noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/18 10:48 a.m.

Anyone make their own mock up engine for a swap?

If so what did you use to make it?  Blocks of foam?  Plywood?  Coroplast?  Just wondering.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
5/17/18 11:37 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Empty blocks (they’re all aluminum so pretty light) 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/17/18 11:43 a.m.

I look at is as, "Which is faster, making an engine mockup, versus the time it takes to put in and remove the actual engine 10 times?" It's always been the latter. It also has the benefit of avoiding some mockup error that results in parts having to be cut off and rewelded once the real engine's installed.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
5/17/18 11:53 a.m.

I once purchased a bad short block to bolt up to my bell-housing pieces.   You know for welding it back together after you drop your transmission off of the lift.  This was as a teenager installing after having it rebuilt.  

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/17/18 6:32 p.m.

If I ever get around to swapping a small Ford into my Miata, I'm probably just going to buy one of the plastic mockup engines.   The money saved over buying a modified front subframe would pay for it, and IMHO, the time and effort saved would be worth it in the long run.   But for me, dragging my hoist out is a real PITA because of a lack of space in the garage.

I just wish they were a little cheaper, and would love hear others' ideas.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/17/18 6:39 p.m.

Ive been using the actual engine. And trans. And....

Why buy/build/store more?

Kramer
Kramer Dork
5/17/18 7:52 p.m.

I sold a 400 SBC to my machinist.  He loaned it to a friend who built a Riddler contender about 10 years ago.  Kinda cool seeing the hotrod knowing my engine played an insignificant part of it!  

Takeaway: he used a spare engine for the mock-up.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uN2zWtYOdHYpROE3XT4sr1lFagHG48KvB9urP89j7Ie5ecQg8RbviSIihomJh17O