beansandrice
beansandrice New Reader
12/27/12 4:46 a.m.

The BRE themed Nissan Sentra SE-R which was featured in an issue of GRM earned a podium finish at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. The team raced against John Morton who was driving a Datsun 510. Spoiler Alert: they beat him. The full "Rum Diary" write up and photos can be seen here:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2012/12/22/the-25-hours-of-thunderhill-a-rum-diary/

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/12 5:28 a.m.

Freaking awesome! My wife and I spent a few hours hanging out and BS's around that car in the hotel parking lot Saturday night after the challenge.

djjerme
djjerme New Reader
12/31/12 9:49 a.m.

Why is GRM's coverage of the 25 so lacking? I know they are East Coast biased, but this is a huge event each year, and for us left coaster's, it's a great way to finish the season.

Considering many of the car's sport GRM stickers, you'd think they would be a bit more "on the ball" for this event..

If I have to read about the Rolex 24 any more, pages are going to get ripped out! I thought this was GRASSROOTS Motorsports, and considering many of the teams at T-hill are low-buck teams, they would be all over it as opposed to the high-$$$ Rolex event.

For Shame.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
12/31/12 9:51 a.m.

GRM doesn't cover much racing compared to other subjects. I will say I think 25hrs of Thunderhill is a very grassroots events with many small time teams participating at a level just a bit above what you see in Chump/Lemons territory

Matt B
Matt B Dork
12/31/12 10:10 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: GRM doesn't cover much racing compared to other subjects.

Huh? I am lost on this one. They are a mixed-content publication and racing is one of the major content types. Admittedly their race-result reporting isn't comprehensive across all types, nor would I want it to be.

That said, it sounds like it's time for a 25hrs of Thunderhill feature! I know it's been mentioned in the mag several times over the years, but I can't seem to recall any in-depth stories.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/31/12 10:23 a.m.

There have been a number of articles with one of the staff driving in the 25 hour, I'm not sure how much of the magazine you would want for one event.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/finishing-moves/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/night-terrors-staying-alive-at-the-thunderhill-25/

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/31/12 10:27 a.m.

then there was this one

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/fighting-fire/

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/12 10:33 a.m.

The last few year did have features on the 25h, didn't they? IIRC it was only this year without an article, wasn't it?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/31/12 2:45 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: The last few year did have features on the 25h, didn't they? IIRC it was only this year without an article, wasn't it?

You are correct, sir. Not only have we had coverage, but we've had JG in a seat racing in the event AND posting web updates. This year we just couldn't swing it, schedule-wise.

Margie

djjerme
djjerme New Reader
1/5/13 10:38 a.m.

Actually, those are from a few years back. Barely anything in 2011, and nothing for 2012 yet..

I get that the car universe is centered around the dirty, dirty, but if you ever check out BAT, you would realize that the west coast is filled with car-lovin' hoarders.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/5/13 4:22 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: The last few year did have features on the 25h, didn't they? IIRC it was only this year without an article, wasn't it?
You are correct, sir. Not only have we had coverage, but we've had JG in a seat racing in the event AND posting web updates. This year we just couldn't swing it, schedule-wise. Margie

This.

Some years we just can't figure out a way to be in two places at once. I'll be back, though. Don't you worry about that.

jg

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
1/5/13 6:08 p.m.

I still love those early Sentra SE-Rs. And they still look good too. Awesome.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/13 6:16 p.m.

I'd love to see an article from a journalist who's "embedded" in the team, somewhere other than the driver's seat. You get a very different view of endurance racing if you're a fueler or a wrench or a manager. It's not as sexy to tell people about, but a fast driver with a poor team is going to lose to an average driver with a good team. I've worked fuel, wrench and car chief at the T25 and the sense of the race differs quite a bit from just those three positions.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
1/5/13 9:42 p.m.

Cool read.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sKnBwM23Hc15FlhSuKG8aBj4cUY1EzTk0pYd8TrGtjJMjtVAGbjhNyc3QnsnrdEK