alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/21/18 6:39 p.m.

And by that, I mean storing files in the same place as the pictures that are stored for the board are.

Not drop box or google or any other services that allow you to file share.

Is this even a possibility?

The reason I'm asking is that occasionally, a few of us are sharing file- like right now I'm working with loosecannon on his B.  And I know a few others have done some work together.  So, if possible, it would be cool to share car related files with each other.  For instance, MS users that have similar cars can share calibrations that they have worked, or that someone can post data files that they are wondering what is going on- so that people can look at them and give advice- or learn from advice being given.  

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd be willing to pay a little more for my GRM subscription to share files with each other.  And it can be limited to members only, perhaps only limiting access to specific members who ask, so that the spammers that show up can't get to them.

Thoughts.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
8/21/18 6:42 p.m.

The HP Tuners forum looks to be similar to many other forums and it allows file sharing between members. I'm guessing it is using a forum template and the file sharing is just something the forum admins need to turn on.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 6:47 p.m.

I have over 140 files from tiny rat tails to huge flat bastards, any grm’er that needs a file and can pick it up i will gladly share.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
8/21/18 7:15 p.m.
Patrick said:

I have over 140 files from tiny rat tails to huge flat bastards, any grm’er that needs a file and can pick it up i will gladly share.

Patrick is my new hero of answering the question that was asked that wasn't asked...,

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 7:46 p.m.
Patrick said:

As teenagers, a friend and I found a flat bastard file, and immediately the Beavis & Butt-Head neurons started firing, and we started calling people "files" as an insult.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/21/18 8:01 p.m.
loosecannon said:

The HP Tuners forum looks to be similar to many other forums and it allows file sharing between members. I'm guessing it is using a forum template and the file sharing is just something the forum admins need to turn on.

Looking over an arduino forum, they also have file sharing.  Just seems to make sense for this board.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/18 8:30 a.m.

There is liability on GRMs part with respect to file sharing. Even photo hosting has liability.  It is something that I have been asked about on several occasions for both my business and on web forums and for various reasons my insurance agent suggested I pass on doing that.  The best thing you could do is get a domain and hosting and set up your own ftp location.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/22/18 8:52 a.m.

You can get a free DropBox account and invite anyone you want to share it with their own login.  You can also start a free Gmail account, set up Google Drive, and share the login with team members.  Both of these require a small client app, but both work very well.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/22/18 9:08 a.m.
Duke said:

You can get a free DropBox account and invite anyone you want to share it with their own login.  You can also start a free Gmail account, set up Google Drive, and share the login with team members.  Both of these require a small client app, but both work very well.

I know that.  What I'm asking is if it would be a good thing to have auto specific file sharing hosted by GRM.  

Maybe GRM can help us make a unique location in the various global shared drive locations....  Which would keep the liability issue that dean points out off their server.  

The point is to make it a little easier for us to share files with each other more as a group instead of individuals.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/22/18 10:36 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Duke said:

I know that.  What I'm asking is if it would be a good thing to have auto specific file sharing hosted by GRM.  

Maybe GRM can help us make a unique location in the various global shared drive locations....  Which would keep the liability issue that dean points out off their server.  

The point is to make it a little easier for us to share files with each other more as a group instead of individuals.  

The answer is no. Why would GRM want to mess with that when there are plenty of easy to use, easy to access, and free services available?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/22/18 11:24 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Which one of those services can be specific group accessed vs. just individual shred?  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/18 11:27 a.m.

What kind of files do you see this being useful for?  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/22/18 11:42 a.m.
Patrick said:

Data from test sessions, tuning files for various aftermarket ECU's, etc.  Stuff that would be useful to more than just a few people.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/22/18 12:07 p.m.

I like the thought of where you're going, but have an idea for implementing that may be a bit more realistic.

I can see something that's sort of more like a giant spreadsheet of links to data elsewhere. something with columns like Contributor, application, description, etc, w/ the final column being the link. Maybe you have to be a member in good standing to contribute to avoid spammers. It would be great if it were easily searchable/sortable like a spreadsheet. I don't see a difference between that and a forum post where people are sharing the same sorts of links, it just organizes it better.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/22/18 4:18 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Patrick said:

As teenagers, a friend and I found a flat bastard file, and immediately the Beavis & Butt-Head neurons started firing, and we started calling people "files" as an insult.

"uhuhuhuhuh calm down Beavis"

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/22/18 4:22 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Patrick said:

Data from test sessions, tuning files for various aftermarket ECU's, etc.  Stuff that would be useful to more than just a few people.

I started going down this this path with SkinnyG and the TBI tuning that he has mostly successfully accomplished .....and cuz I may want to tweak however much I can the TBI in the PU.........

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/22/18 4:38 p.m.

I don't see GRM taking on the file hosting aspect, but if you guys think a sticky thread in builds with links to public files is warranted I can make that happen.

dean1484
2/17/20 7:45 a.m.

I think this thread was brought up to the top during the massive canoe invasion last night but it got me thinking that a way to Handel this would be to use google doc's. You would set up an account with google using your name here with GRM in front of it. That would keep it easy to remember who is who and not use any personal information. Then in doc's separate sub folders could be set up for builds or topics. Since this is a Miata centric place there may need to be a Miata specific folder with sub folders under that. The possibility's are endless in terms of organization and could provide a big reasorce to others.  

I have a "cars" folder on my server at home that has 25-30 years of stuff. Everything from old spreadsheets to car manuals to injector lists to cad files. You name it. I may have a document about it. Especially if it was Rotary or 944 related. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/17/20 8:52 a.m.
Patrick said:

I have a fair amount of Miata based CAD stuff?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/17/20 9:00 a.m.

Yeah, sorry everybody but file sharing is a no. It's unfortunately too expensive and too much of a liability. Heck, we don't even store files on our servers (we use a third-party file sharing tool).

The monthly costs to keep this website running as-is (before paying for any staff time) are already north of a decent NB Miata. surprise

Of course, if you'd like to help us pay for that, you can always turn off your ad blocker and subscribe.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/17/20 9:03 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Patrick said:

I have a fair amount of Miata based CAD stuff?

grabcad.com

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/20 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I have a GRM subscription, and then subscribed to Classic Motorsports  when all of the car magazines went out of print recently. 

I'm not going to be using file sharing, but support matters.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/17/20 10:09 a.m.

Thank you! It means so much to have that support. 

dean1484
2/17/20 12:50 p.m.

@ Tom.  Why I thought Google Docs would be the answer (not run by GRM) and as such no cost to GRM and most importantly no GRM liability for content.  There would be a bunch of things that would have to be considered like permissions to edit view copy and all the other fun stuff but again that would not be  a GRM problem it would become the problem of the individual posting the document up on to Google docs.  You could let anyone view a doc but limit who can edit it.  We actually use this system for my family for sharing  documents as well as jointly composing or commenting on documents.      

So my Google Doc ID for this idea would be GRM_dean1484.  If using the GRM acronym is an issue (again GRM liability and or copyright or you just not wanting the GRM on something you don't have control over) we could pick something else just followed by an underscore and the user name here. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ShesGpER3tC1lkLxM2olXiRe5di79NQqjr74Ld5aUePJpY7Jd3pg0aT8PY2WLgvH