JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/30/17 11:53 a.m.
feature_image

We’re getting a rare opportunity to check out one of the most legendary locations in the enthusiast community: the Mazda R&D basement. Deep under the ground in the wilds of Irvine, California, lies Mazda’s storage facility where they keep former prototypes, historic race cars and treasured bits of Mazda history.

Join us Wednesday, July 5, at 9:00 p.m. EST for …

Read the rest of the story

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
6/30/17 12:24 p.m.

too cool!

JG Pasterjak
6/30/17 12:42 p.m.

We'll actually be visiting the legendary basement Monday, but we're unsure about connectivity in such a top-secret location, so we'll be shooting video to show on Wednesday so Facebook and Youtube viewers can join in.

If we have a good signal, though, I might pop on live on our FB page for a few minutes to show everyone around :) Keep an eye out. We're actually visiting some super cool places in SoCal on Monday, so you'll definitely be seeing some live check-ins if you aren't busy lighting the grill or applying sunscreen.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/30/17 4:42 p.m.

Mazda had many of those cars on display at the NYIAS when the ND was new. I was going nuts over the coupe as everyone around me thought I was crazy.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/17 9:36 p.m.

I saw some of these cars at an even in Irvine a few years ago. If any of you GRM staff have time for lunch or dinner let me know. I'm local.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/5/17 4:58 p.m.

Just a few hours left!

motionmailapp.com

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/5/17 7:44 p.m.

That's where Mazda stashed a 767b they restored and that amazing titanium grey Spirit A FD RX7 right?

I've always wanted to tour there but I'll likely never have those connections

Queuing up YouTube now.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/17 7:58 p.m.

On the you tube page now waiting

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
7/5/17 7:58 p.m.

I'm excited

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/5/17 8:05 p.m.

YouTube is a bit choppy.

Edit: I'll switch to facespace. Nevermind it requires the app to watch the live stream.
Edit 2: Thanks for the effort guys. I'll catch it tomorrow if you don't mind posting it on YouTube. I'd prefer to watch on the TV from my couch and I'd also prefer not to install Facebook on my phone to cast it. I'm sure it'll be great.

dean1484
7/5/17 8:09 p.m.

Ok technical difficulty? When you closed YouTube I was watching on my face book account and it went dead as well. I swapped to face book as the you tube feed was shuddering

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
7/5/17 8:16 p.m.

Hi guys. Sorry. Like Dean said, technical difficulty. Looks like YouTube is giving JG some trouble.

But here's the Facebook stream:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/grassrootsmotorsports/videos/10155534997598140/&show_text=0&width=560

dean1484
7/5/17 8:21 p.m.

I clicked that link Ed and it locked up my iPhone. I don't see a new link on Facebook. Just keep waiting I assume?

Ed Higginbotham
7/5/17 8:43 p.m.

Sorry for the slow response, Dean. i see you in the chat so I assume you got it working. Yuck. Computers are making it challenging tonight.

Ed Higginbotham
7/5/17 9:24 p.m.

Thanks for joining in, everyone! I think that was the most people we've ever had on a live broadcast.

dean1484
7/5/17 9:30 p.m.

Got it figurared out. On an IPhone you have to use the app for face book to stream video. It does not allow streaming in the iPhone web browser.

On another note. THAT WAS UNBELIEVABLY COOL!!!! This was my first try at watching this and it was far and away one of the best things on the internet. I was blown away by the fact that people like Dean and Randy were live with us. Just how cool is that!!!!

A huge thanks to GRM, Mazda, CRC and everyone else that made that happen.

I really hope you do a part two. I would love to see more about the RX7 a quick look at some significant cars and some insight in to the evolution of the car.

Thanks again!!!!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/17 10:09 p.m.

Thanks for the great tour. It's been a while since I've seen the super 20. I forgot how much my new toy looks like the super 20.

JG Pasterjak
7/5/17 10:41 p.m.

Thanks for joining us tonight everyone. Sorry the YouTube feed was a disaster. The issue appears to have been on their end, so that's some small comfort.

At any rate, the full HD, unbuffered video will be on on Youtube channel by tomorrow morning.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/6/17 8:17 p.m.

Just watched the youtube video and I want to say thank you so much for bringing that to us! That was very cool and what a collection of awesome cars! I tried to watch it live but with the issues and some real life things that needed attending I missed it.

I hope the viewing numbers you guys are getting are enough to continue the live shows. I'm thoroughly enjoying them and am really looking forward to next week as well.

JG Pasterjak
7/6/17 9:35 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Just watched the youtube video and I want to say thank you so much for bringing that to us! That was very cool and what a collection of awesome cars! I tried to watch it live but with the issues and some real life things that needed attending I missed it. I hope the viewing numbers you guys are getting are enough to continue the live shows. I'm thoroughly enjoying them and am really looking forward to next week as well.

Thanks man. It was a fun visit. Also, I got to sit in the 787. Have not showered since.

And numbers look good. We have a fairly complete editorial plan for the next couple months, and lots of back-burner ideas that we're developing for after that. We're still doing it on a shoestring budget and staff time is largely after-hours (as though there's actually BEFORE hours). But, it's going well, and we've just signed another sponsor that we should be able to introduce next week.

Ultimately, the decision on whether the show survives or not will be simple numbers. If we keep getting the numbers moving in a positive direction, it'll continue. As viewers, the best thing you guys can do is to spread the word, and show your appreciation to the sponsors. Taking 30 seconds to post a quick thanks on a sponsor's social media page is painless and REALLY makes a difference.

If it makes you feel any better, as soon as I'm done typing this message, I'm going to get to work building out new dedicated streaming computer. So we believe in it enough to spend a little bit of dough to build a PC.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/6/17 9:57 p.m.

Just watched the tour, that was amazing. Thanks for taking the time to put it up on YouTube and spending time after hours to produce it.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
7/6/17 10:12 p.m.

So how do I find this youtube channel the video is supposed to be on? Anyone got a link?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/6/17 10:15 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: So how do I find this youtube channel the video is supposed to be on? Anyone got a link?

Here you go.

Make sure to subscribe so they can get their custom url to make it easier to find.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
7/9/17 4:23 p.m.

I watched the Youtube live video and even though it looked like the feed was having some difficulties, what I saw looked really cool!

JG Pasterjak
7/9/17 6:21 p.m.
92dxman wrote: I watched the Youtube live video and even though it looked like the feed was having some difficulties, what I saw looked really cool!

Yeah. Youtube was really sketchy that night. The HD version is now on our Youtube page, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xnFsNKgdsaeLRiOfR3mGLJLij6M17cLKAY0R42GOZkXyxaKX0rG8ByQ0m4WUpyca