1 2
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/26/12 1:24 p.m.

You know how it looks. Have you taken one for a spin?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-nissan-juke/

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/12 1:50 p.m.

Delete the top lights and I think it actually looks really cool, especially in black. I've seen a kit (or maybe it was homebuilt?) like that and it really surprised me.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
7/26/12 2:04 p.m.

I like it. There I said it. It's funky and differnt. They look better in person than in photos. It's on my wife's shopping list right now.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/26/12 2:07 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Delete the top lights and I think it actually looks really cool, especially in black. I've seen a kit (or maybe it was homebuilt?) like that and it really surprised me.

I agree with this...it's okay without the top lights.

I drove the turbo though and I CANNOT deal with that CVT. A 5 speed would be great though.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/26/12 2:09 p.m.

That CVT is truly awful.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/26/12 2:15 p.m.

its a shame they don't offer the 6-speed with the AWD. it could be a really interesting turbo awd cute-ute. almost like a smaller acura RDX. they are definitely for people that like being seen.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/26/12 2:21 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: That CVT is truly awful.

You got that right. I was really disappointed in the trans. I felt like it sucked the life out of the car.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
7/26/12 3:41 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
Alan Cesar wrote: That CVT is truly awful.
You got that right. I was really disappointed in the trans. I felt like it sucked the life out of everything Nissan puts that awful excuse for a transmission in.

Fixed.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
7/26/12 3:43 p.m.

does anyone make a CVT that doesn't fake-step gear ratios in order to feel like a traditional transmission?

HUGE turnoff for me. you're a CVT, act like one!

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
7/26/12 3:52 p.m.

The styling ethos must be called: "Pre-Crashed" From the driver's seat, I was pleasantly surprised by the handling and ride quality. Back to the styling, I thought about parking it in my neighbor's driveway. ...Three houses down.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
7/26/12 3:54 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: does anyone make a CVT that doesn't fake-step gear ratios in order to feel like a traditional transmission? HUGE turnoff for me. you're a CVT, act like one!

I completely agree with you.

Nobody complains when their snowmobile doesn't shift...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/12 4:24 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: does anyone make a CVT that doesn't fake-step gear ratios in order to feel like a traditional transmission? HUGE turnoff for me. you're a CVT, act like one!

The Ford Five Hundred CVT doesn't step shift (Mom has one). Unfortunately, it also likes to self-destruct (see the Freestyle thread).

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/26/12 5:17 p.m.

one other complaint about the "performance potential" rating.

You give the Juke, an econo-hatch with big tires, CVT and a good engine, 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

You give the Mazda 3i, a sport compact in need of some power, 3 stars.

The Juke has more "performance potential" than a Mazda3? Really? What defines such potential? Autocross, trackwork, drag, availability of performance parts?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
7/26/12 5:31 p.m.

TURBO

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/26/12 5:38 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: TURBO

Kia Optima 2.0T only got 3 1/2 stars.

Is the rating for stock performance, or "potential."

Mazda 3i and $5k and I guarantee It will be a better "performance" car than a Juke with $5k invested, except perhaps in a drag race.

I'd just like to know how that rating is determined. Seems like a "makeup call" for the usual bashing on the Juke's looks.......

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/26/12 5:52 p.m.

Borrowed one for a day. It was a 2011 SV with a CVT and AWD. My thoughts were the interior wasn't good but it wasn't bad, just bland. I really wanted to like the car, but was unimpressed. To me it felt slower then I hoped for, although that I'm sure a fwd 6spd would have fixed that. At the end of the day I was happy to have my own car back.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/26/12 6:02 p.m.

Nissan CVTs are really terrible, but the Juke styling is worse. Wouldn't be seen in one for money.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/26/12 6:25 p.m.

I would own one (non-CVT) and drive it but I wouldn't buy it.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/26/12 7:05 p.m.

Have I taken one for a spin? It doesn't matter because I've seen one. And I won't own a CVT.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
7/26/12 7:24 p.m.

I've been completely underwhelmed with them. Styling aside they've had their share of issues, and I've noticed more dissatisfied customers (buyers remorse) with the Juke than any other model.

The CVT is horrible, that's been covered pretty well. Driving one with a 6 speed has the potential to be a kick in the pants, but doesn't quite provide the pleasure most would expect of a turbo 6.

I'm working off of a small sample size (only at one Nissan dealer) but we saw our fair share of leaking fuel pressure sensors well before there was a recall. We eventually ceased selling until all were fixed, and it's been months since I've seen one that still had an open recall on it. Just about every one we've seen has had it's turbo inlet tube replaced as well. Only other recall I can think of is door handle seals, but there were other models with that issue too. It's not necessarily very settling to the customer that just got their new Juke, to have to explain there's a crap ton wrong with it that needs fixed. Thankfully most of that is water under the bridge.

I know of at least 3 that have had complete engine tear downs to try and find the cause of a noise. One had countless parts and finally a new engine thrown at it before it became a buyback. Other two got new engines as well.

I can think of a handful that customers that got to pay out of pocket for new condenser cores after coming in for A/C diag. Those 3 GIANT holes in the lower bumper cover provide a bulls eye for road debris to poke holes in the condenser, "sorry mister customer, there's a hole in the condenser, your warranty doesn't cover holes."

I try not to be biased, well maybe I don't try real hard, on paper they sound appealing, but in the real world there's really nothing about them that I like.

• Lee
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/26/12 8:01 p.m.

I rode in a coworker's juke the other day. Nice interior

MichaelYount
MichaelYount New Reader
7/26/12 8:15 p.m.

Pretty sure one of the 'bugs' from District 9 mated with a Pontiac Aztec --- and the Nissan Juke was born. It's subjective - but I vote for butt-ugly.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/26/12 8:19 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: I've noticed more dissatisfied customers (buyers remorse) with the Juke than any other model/

Really? Everyone I have meet that has one loves it. That is only 3 people though.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/12 8:29 p.m.

My favorite is the Mitsubishi CVT that has the "manual" option on the shifter so you can switch gears.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
7/26/12 8:33 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Well, it's not like I've got a sample size big enough to make any real statistics out of, but in the general chit-chat with customers, it ain't all roses. I'll add that we've fairly regularly had 2 or 3 used Jukes on the lot, and none were old enough to be off lease cars. I know that doesn't mean they were traded/sold because the customer didn't like them, but that's where my mind goes.

• Lee
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OGLkXXXaf2nGEALiZebigWcs6zM0bkGVwiyOJrX6PMy0c5pwbUaxWllEPvR3MEIV