Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/17/12 10:21 a.m.

We tested a Honda CR-V. It does its job just fine.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-honda-cr-v/

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
7/17/12 12:13 p.m.

You guys recently tested the CX-5 - how did the two compare? Both would be on our short list for next family vehicle.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/17/12 12:21 p.m.

I will agree with the review and the point that a CRV is the car to recommend to any and every non-enthusiast driver.
I have done it many times.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/17/12 1:24 p.m.

For Fahrvergnügen, the CX-5 wins without hesitation. The CRV appears to have more cargo room, though. Consider your habits and needs, and test drive both with that in mind. The Mazda will also consume less gas and is available in a stickshift.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
7/17/12 3:11 p.m.

It's been my experience, owning and driving several different Honda products, that often (but not always) the odd numbered generations seem to "really nail it" while the even numbered ones appear to be just "coasting". The new CRV is an even numbered generation....

I've looked at CRVs and Foresters and would have to say that I'd buy a low mileage 1st gen. CRV (but all the ones near me have HUGE mileages on them) or maybe even a 3rd gen. I'd buy the 2nd only because you could still get a manual transmission in the 2nd gen. CRV.

In my family, there are several Honda products, but no one has a CRV (there is/was a Pilot, tho), instead of "cute utes" my family has bought Outbacks of various vintages (3 or 4 at last count).

I have to believe that the next gen. of CRV will be a real home run type of effort....probably as near to a "clean sheet" design as is possible for Honda.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
7/17/12 3:17 p.m.

Wasn't the CRV at one time offered with a manual in FWD guise? Just like the Rav4? I'm talking back in the 90's here.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/17/12 3:20 p.m.

The Magic Seat that they've employed on the Fit, CRV, Odyssey, etc. really is magic.

That's the reason we went with the Fit over the competition. The others may have been cheaper (by $1000) or gotten better MPG, but the Fit had all kinds of things standard that were exactly what we wanted without even asking.

Now if only they could do the same for BRZ competitor that actually has some utility.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ITpYmGXHORUxaHXgzV6Z4BkpnTUna5glRS9ephLrDHDWLaa0rcZDc8HWL7mi8Uss