1 2 3 4 5
Shakydogracing
Shakydogracing New Reader
12/26/20 8:20 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I bought it straight from Fastenal. Found out from a friend they were closing them out and went and bought them that day. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/26/20 9:00 p.m.

20' x 32' garage. As usual, I wish it was twice as big and had higher ceilings. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/27/20 7:46 a.m.

Is it wrong that lately I'm more excited about shop infrastructure projects than actual projects?  Some of your shops are giving me great ideas. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/27/20 8:05 a.m.

I promised a reorganization, and it's now complete!

TL;DR: I moved my lathe to the side wall, and my benches and welding table to the back wall.

Why? I had a few reasons: 

• I wanted the 3D printer and CNC router to be close to the exhaust fan instead of close to the window, so rather than contaminating the air as it enters the space, they could contaminate it on its way out.
  • I wanted to be able to use both devices with the Trooper pulled into its storage space, as I'm usually tinkering with them long after dark when I've closed up the garage and put the cars away. If I'm using the lathe, odds are it's not midnight and the Trooper is already outside.
  • I wanted a wider third parking spot, as squeezing the Trooper between the lift and the welding table literally left 3" to spare.
  • The welding table is my favorite bench, and I wanted it right in front of my lift to set tools on.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/27/20 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Define "as it's too darn cold" from your earlier post for us here in Michigan, please.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/27/20 8:22 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Define "as it's too darn cold" from your earlier post for us here in Michigan, please.

I was wondering the same thing, it's 28 here today in Maine.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/27/20 8:27 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

It was 40 degrees!! Can humans even survive a 100' walk outside at that temperature?

And yes, I run the heat in my Florida garage when it's below 50ish. laugh

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/27/20 8:27 a.m.

In reply to thedoc :

We're at 22 and it was 17 when I saw Tom's post yesterday, so I'm curious.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/27/20 8:29 a.m.

Thank you. You just provided my laugh out loud moment for the day.smiley

thedoc
12/27/20 8:38 a.m.

you said no cleaning, right? The wall to the left of the mustang leaks so we need repairs before insulation, etc.  the plastic shelving holds my microfiber and some cleaning supplies, my kids are in charge of the garbage, you can see how that’s going.  The wall to the right of the FiST holds wash and wax products when the garage isn’t below freezing. The basement is full of summer tires right now.  My son just did some work on his Subaru, you can tell some of what he did by what’s left out. 

My wife and I just had another talk about moving, this continued conversation really screws up ideas to improve the garage.  I had another thread on heating this space. The kerosene heater is it for now.   I do have a workshop in the basement.

thedoc
12/27/20 8:46 a.m.

I can’t edit my post from my phone. When major work has to be done, we move one car out and angle the car inside.  My wife is great about her car being out.  It’s really not ideal when it snows or it’s freezing. 

We also have a shed that stores winter tires and parts.

thedoc
12/27/20 8:53 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to thedoc :

We're at 22 and it was 17 when I saw Tom's post yesterday, so I'm curious.

It's always a sad day when I have to move the waxes, sealants and polish into the basement. How nice it must be to worry about wax getting soupy.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/27/20 9:09 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Hasn’t been above freezing since Christmas Eve.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/27/20 9:17 a.m.

I’ve noticed that what sets my garage apart from the ones that I envy.  That is finishing, covered and painted walls and ceiling then up the organization a notch.  At that point painting all the random boxes and carts the same color would put me over the top.  A simple man with simple wants.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/27/20 9:25 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I need to get a ceiling into my garage. I've got a kerosene heater just like in thedocs picture and it doesn't do much good with open rafters and ridge venting. Ditto on the moving stuff to the basement for the winter.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/27/20 10:20 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to akylekoz :

I need to get a ceiling into my garage. I've got a kerosene heater just like in thedocs picture and it doesn't do much good with open rafters and ridge venting. Ditto on the moving stuff to the basement for the winter.

True.  Adding insulation and sheetrock to the ceiling in my ex's garage along with just putting a piece of plywood over the entrance to the attic gave the small heaters we had a fighting chance.  The finishing gave the small window A/C unit a chance as well during the Summer.

badhabit_wb
badhabit_wb New Reader
12/27/20 10:21 a.m.

Still getting mine set up but here's where I do all my tinkering now.

thedoc
12/27/20 10:37 a.m.
badhabit_wb said:

Are you flipping kidding me?  That's nicer than a BMW dealership!

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/27/20 11:28 a.m.

Wow. That's gorgeous. Way too nice for me lol. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/20 11:38 a.m.

Right now, the garage space is pretty involved in boat building. Trying to cure resin in 30-degree weather is tough, can't seal it up and heat it because the house fills with noxious fumes. While it is small, this space has seen a lot of projects over the years!

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/20 11:38 a.m.

Ignore my double post.

naterkane
naterkane New Reader
12/27/20 12:46 p.m.

Not mine yet, and don't have photos of my current 1200sq ft space. But this 1400 sq ft shop will be mine if all goes well before February. Currently under contract.

A panorama of my old space taken from above the bathroom. It's weirdly triangular, and before I moved in nobody bothered to install any electrical recepticals.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/27/20 1:06 p.m.
badhabit_wb said:

Sheez would it kill you to al least drag a broom around.  I know, don’t clean first but seriously how can you work like that.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/27/20 1:07 p.m.

In reply to naterkane :

Oooo I like that!

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/27/20 1:56 p.m.
thedoc said:
badhabit_wb said:

Are you flipping kidding me?  That's nicer than a BMW dealership!

Having now bmws in it is the best feature. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vwril7UqsZDYIbW6PoEQBCUpaL6CeTJ7XdlLLIepoq41vzW6ddVbbu1h199t3UEg