1 2
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/11/17 5:09 p.m.

We have a lot of GRM forum members in affected areas since Irma was so widespread.  Check in here and let us know how you fared and if there is anything you need.

Anybody heard from Jeremy/pimpm3?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/17 5:34 p.m.

Pimpm3 and family are ok but of course he's busy with his job. Lil Stampie and I are ok. Only thing we lost was a container of chicken broth I dropped getting chips out of the cabinet. 

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/11/17 5:36 p.m.

Eye passed over my apartment at 1am. Add that to the amount of ridiculous E36 M3 that's happened in my life. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/11/17 5:48 p.m.

Good to hear Stampie and mndsm...yall lose power?

Stampie
9/11/17 6:32 p.m.

We went out at 3am last night. Right now Lil Stampie and I have our electronic devices charged up and our car battery LEDs ready to go once it's dark. 

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/11/17 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

I was a cave man for 23.5 hours have power now. I missed ac

Stampie
9/11/17 7:54 p.m.

Our power turned on right at 8:30 pm EST. First thing I did was put Coke in the freezer so I can have a cold mixed drink in 30 minutes. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/11/17 9:01 p.m.

Over in Ormond/Daytona I lost several trees one of which hit the pool screen enclosure and a fence.   Power went down around 10pm and hasn't come back. I'm thinking a couple days at least. 

A crew of guys with a skid steer came by with a decent price for cutting and moving the big stuff.  They made quick work of the trees until they sunk the skid steer in mud over the tracks.  Their truck couldn't get it out so they brought excavator and basically dug out around it made a ramp and drug it out. 

So the yard is all tore up and will have to be regraded but if that's the worst of it I consider myself lucky. 

We are certainly seeing a ton of claims coming in but without internet and power there isn't much I can do. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/17 9:51 p.m.

Just now my phone is starting to get cell signal. I am sure one of the towers sustained damage as I had no signal for almost 24h

We have no internet, but have power and never lost it. 

My house has zero damage. My parents' house lost their fence and the pool enclosure. All in all we are extremely happy as it could have been much worse. 

Hope everyone else is ok as well. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/11/17 11:21 p.m.

I have been working 16 hour days in the local EOC since Thursday.  Actually I Just finished a 41 hour shift broke up by a 3 hour nap...

Anyway my family is safe in Atlanta.  Trees are down everywhere in my neighborhood.   I have not been home yet but i have several trees down in my yard according to my neighbors.  One is leaning on the roof but doesn't appear to have hurt anything.  One oak tree on the other hand crushed both the Jaguar and the corvette.  The mr2 and the race car were in the garage.

I will post more once I get a chance to go by the house.  I hope everyone else made it through safely.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
9/12/17 5:58 a.m.

Yep, I'm in Atlanta too, where at one point they were predicting 70+mph winds to come through.  Honestly, I think the hardest wind came out of my kids mouths...  We got nothing more than maybe...just maybe...25mph gusts.  It was just a typical rainy day, and I'm very thankful for that.  Hope all is well with those more directly in the path.  FIL has a mobile home in Venice, FL...maybe he "had" one??  He's a snowbird and is currently in NJ, so we haven't heard what the fate of it is.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/17 6:08 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Ouch! Sorry about the cars, but glad everyone is safe.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/12/17 7:13 a.m.

My family and I are OK. We had some pretty fierce wind, and about seven hours of no electricity, but no damage to our house. The worst thing we had to face was a cold dinner out of tin cans and maintaining our sanity with two small children trapped in a house with no television. I'm glad it wasn't any worse; there were a lot of downed trees in the area, some of which smashed through houses.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/12/17 7:30 a.m.

Tim and I are around the corner from Greg and Monique Voth. Trees down, damaged pool screen enclosure, no power or cable, so mostly good. There is one uprooted tree that is being held off our power line (and transformer) by a palm tree that is slowly yielding to it, so we figure we live on genny power with no air for some time to come.

Tom's house also okay, also no power or cable. He did have a big tree limb take a swat at one of his parts Volvos, but otherwise all GRM cars seem to have come through unscathed.

Office had power already yesterday morning (block from a fire station FTW). Voicemail is picking up in our Spectrum phone after the correct # of rings, so looks like we may even have Internet there. We report back to work tomorrow and will update.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/12/17 8:32 a.m.

We got 60mph gusts and 4" of rain yesterday... in Macon, GA. Go figure. Anyway, lots of trees down and peeps without power but we're fine. Next to no damage at our property and we never lost power. As bad as this was 180 miles inland, I sure feel for all you guys to the south.

minihaha
minihaha New Reader
9/12/17 9:18 a.m.

We're here in Lakeland, no real damage but lots of limbs down.

Been without power for 40 hours now, I have not had a cold shower in a while...

Pat & Margaret

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/17 11:05 a.m.

We're alive and like many others here we have no power and no cellular internet. Texting is spotty. The power stopped flowing many hours before the storm. Right after we went dark, though, our neighbor sent me a text: We just threw an extension cord over the fence so you can plug into our generator. They're nice like that.

We didn't lose any trees, but two big limbs fell out front. We spent yesterday cleaning the front yard, and we'll tackle the back yard and gutters later today. 

My wife, JG and I are at the office right now. There's a/c and internet here. 

Like many others, too, I'm just exhausted.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/12/17 12:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

We're alive and like many others here we have no power and no cellular internet. Texting is spotty. The power stopped flowing many hours before the storm. Right after we went dark, though, our neighbor sent me a text: We just threw an extension cord over the fence so you can plug into our generator. They're nice like that.

You have some awesome neighbors.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/12/17 2:04 p.m.

We're all safe and no worse for wear.  We live essentially on the county line between Sarasota and Manatee counties and spent the hurricane in a shelter, even though the house was well boarded up.  Came home to find the neighbor's huge ficus tree (30' tall, 30' wide) uprooted and fell on our house.  Cost $1500 to get it removed, but they came immediately and made quick work of it.  My home built shed took some of the brunt, but the roof definitely flexed under the load.  Fortunately, there's no obvious damage or leaks (yet).  Oh, and we still don't have electricity, so we're staying with my parents in Riverview at the moment.

Of more relevance, and thankfully, no damage to the cars, including my Focus ST, XR4TI shell, or '70 Mach 1, all of which were stored outside during the hurricane.  I used the 2 project XRs in the garage to brace the garage door, finally proving their usefulness to my wife.  HA!  And it is kinda a bummer that Irma has likely cost us 33% of the time we had to work on our Challenge car, but I'm optimistic we'll still be able to attend and compete.

All in all, if the fallen tree, some ruined frozen food, and some lost time is the worst of it, I'd say we faired pretty damn well!

Pics viwed here for dramatic effect:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/y02nR7PmKNtntVsr1

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
9/12/17 10:59 p.m.

God bless one and all.

I will say I'm liking Tucson (always have, actually...) - occasional hot summers of 110+ temps for a few weeks (most summers the highs are low 100s, and, as they say, a dry heat...), but no earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes.

Our monsoon rains usually run through July and parts of August, and they do fell trees and power lines from time to time, but nothing like what y'all went through.

Yeesh.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/13/17 8:31 a.m.

I still haven't heard from My Nephew or Sister in Key West. they say it's Very Bad there. 2 days ago someone posted they had seen Heath and his wife Faye but I haven't heard from Them or My Sister Jane. They show a trailer park that's just Gone on the TV   but you can't tell if it's on KW or Stock Island. Heath's house was on Truman Ave up In Town, a Two story Stick(Frame) house I belive it to be gone as well, No Dogs Cats or birds as yet just a couple here and there(Pets), Folks there is tragady there . does anyone know a number to Locate Survivors. Maybe Jeremy Knows one.?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/13/17 10:24 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Sorry to hear your comcerns.  I think the American red cross has a line you can call.  As I understand it there is a toll free number that survivors could call to let you know they were okay and that their relatives could access by calling Red Cross.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/13/17 10:26 a.m.

My hurricane prep worked well. I've removed the large trees over the past few years. My debris pile looks like my regular weekly bulk pick up pile while neighbors piles are huge and they're still adding to them

Reinforced the East facing garage door with 4 X 4's using cars to hold bottom and lag bolted reinforcements to ceiling joists knowing we'd get strong East-West wind being on the Northeast quadrant. Saw some East facing garage doors blown in even with the stock center hurricane support in place, won't be surprised if they upgrade the support codes. Lost about 3-4 full bundles of roof shingles. Amazing was that power went off and came back on 40-50 times and still had power after the storm passed. Just got cable/internet back.

I have hurricane windows and doors so no accordions, clamshells, or plywood.

Folks who operate the canal system do an excellent job and lowered pre storm and then emptied everything out yesterday. Water level in my canal can go up/down 5-6 feet during a storm like this one. I'm in a flood zone but no issues.

Overall we dodged a bullet here. '05 Wilma was much worse.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
9/13/17 10:44 a.m.

Has anyone heard from Go_Gators? There were a few people on his build that were concerned.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/17 10:53 a.m.
minihaha said:

We're here in Lakeland, no real damage but lots of limbs down.

Been without power for 40 hours now, I have not had a cold shower in a while...

Pat & Margaret

How did Fantasy of Flight make out? Had they flown everything out of there?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iQ9gdhVrEc1ns5qwqZdUMS4gTBRN0JCabHeR9IbXXg18LsFJvyYbVb2vVDN3s3mO