1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/17 1:40 p.m.

Biggest thing for us has been no connectivity: No cell data, no internet and barely any texting. 

I spent last week in a hotel that didn't have functioning wi-fi, so it's been a week. 

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/13/17 1:43 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That was the problem I had. When the power went out, the local towers stopped functioning. I lost all data function. It sucked. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/13/17 2:51 p.m.

The Nephew has been in touch (FB) with his MIL in Ontario, so he and his wife are alive, still haven't heard from My Sister, after seeing some vidios online Key west is Screwed.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/17 3:00 p.m.
mndsm said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That was the problem I had. When the power went out, the local towers stopped functioning. I lost all data function. It sucked. 

Yep. It was like we went back in time 10 years. 

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
9/13/17 5:39 p.m.

Glad to see most of you are ok... smiley

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
9/14/17 11:59 a.m.

A bit late to be checking in, but I made it through the storm with very minimal damage. Just some small limbs in our yard. My next door neighbor had a tree limb almost hit their house, but they got lucky and it missed the roof by inches. My parents are still without electricity, but I had it back in about 36 hours.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/14/17 12:19 p.m.

Still no power here, but otherwise fine. Current estimate is Sunday night. surprise

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/14/17 12:31 p.m.

We are safe and dry. Amazingly we only lost power for roughly 24 hours. I do have to replace my service drop pole that was tweaked when a large pine limb fell on the line. There were LOTS of trees down on lines around town and several areas had some pretty bad flooding. My sisters neighborhood had chest high water blocking the only entrance and her car suffered death by pine. Now the Santa Fe river has been rising and blocking several major highways. Fortunately they are now pretty sure it won't block I75. 

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/14/17 7:15 p.m.

.... and still no electric in Sarasota.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/14/17 8:53 p.m.

Stinks to be that long without electricity.  We had 100mph winds here over my house in wpb but just lost parts of trees and a fence.  It's mostly all been cleaned up and rebuilt now.  We lost power pretty late in the day on sunday but didn't get it back until late last night. Over here, it's mostly just overturned trees and the like- I haven't seen much structural damage.  

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/15/17 7:05 a.m.

Key West is not expected to have electricty for about 1 month,  try walking the Dog so you both can find a place to   Poop.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/15/17 11:59 a.m.

We lucked out. I live 20 miles Inland from Daytona, one small fence down, one tree in the yard, lots of debris, no other damage.

Power out for only one and a half days. Still have 46 gallons of ethanol free gas, I'll hold on to that until December.

Minor flooding in my garage, thanks to the 40 sandbags which I continued to reposition up until midnight. I also dug some drainage trenches.

Couldn't post this until now, we still have no cable at home or data on our cell phones. I'm posting this from work.

Thinking of all the folks in Key West, hope they're okay. We really got lucky here.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/15/17 12:01 p.m.

Still no power in my apartment. It's darned hot in there at night.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/15/17 4:49 p.m.

nephew posted that They will turn on Water today for 3 hours twice a day starting today. sewage pumps don't work without electricity so we will see how that go's . My Sister worked at the sewage plant way back  and they would say  E Coli   Happens..it was funnier 30 years ago.. Still it's Gettin the" Sticky End of The Wicket."

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/17 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

just another reason to buy an old class A.  We used the gen to power our fridge in the house and we slept in the nice and cold a/c.  

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/16/17 1:19 p.m.

Got power back last night.  Challenge build may progress now.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/16/17 5:52 p.m.

reported that people have died from the "noxious" fumes from generators.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
9/16/17 7:22 p.m.

I am in Winter Park.  Hopefully power is on when we get home tonight.  6 days without it so far.  With Tropical Storm Maria forecast to become a major hurricane, I am debating picking up a portable generator.  No lights and no AC is ok for me but no internet is the pits.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/17 7:30 p.m.

In reply to ojannen :

Berk me. I wasn't even aware of Maria yet. Looked at the track and don't want to do that again. 

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/16/17 8:14 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Dummies were running one inside. Florida actually sent one of those amber alert style texts saying don't do that E36 M3 after they died. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pCApOEheg80zavYswH4W555NyQzZLFmAsYumrQKtX9fR1ldCjiMYXx8wiTEidKNX