1 2 3 4
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/23/20 11:33 a.m.

Guys,

We had an editorial meeting this morning via Microsoft Teams, as are all working from home. Obviously like everyone else, we are trying to navigate new territory.

First, I want to thank all of you for busily supporting this board, as well as our publications, websites and our advertisers. You are the life blood of what we do. We also know that you depend on us to help you with your projects and to give you a diversion from your daily routine.  

I always try to find the good in every situation, and while perhaps a bit difficult this time around, one bit of good that is coming from the current world situation, is we are more able to focus on content generation and not a lot of the other aspects of our daily work lives. personally, I have been able to spend almost very waking minute at my computer, writing stories, or helping with video production and working in the shop.

To that end, you will see more videos, more tech tips, and more cool stories than ever before. As none of us are doctors, or have test kits in our back pockets, I figure the best thing we can do is provide you with the stories, tech tips and features you have expected from us for the better part of four decades.

If you have ideas or comments, please let us know and thanks again for your support. We hope you stay safe and please don't come to Florida and head to the beach!

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/20 11:36 a.m.

Thanks for being there for us!

And we'll continue to entertain (and sometimes horrify) you with our GRM board antics! laugh

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/23/20 11:44 a.m.

Shadeux, Thanks! It means a lot to us.

I figured it was time that I say something.

And by the way, while none of us here is rich, our CFO and my wife and partner Margie, has been saving for a rainy day, so we should be able to weather this for quite a while.

She is why I bought an $8300, 20-year old Boxster and not a new one to write about! Kind of the way we have always rolled around here.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/23/20 11:48 a.m.

Thanks for all that you guys do. During these times, this website keeps me sane. Thanks Tim!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/23/20 11:52 a.m.

I've noticed the uptick in online content lately and appreciate it.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/20 11:53 a.m.

GRM and CM=

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/23/20 12:00 p.m.

More of a long term thing- but watching ESPN2 yesterday- it was "ESPN8, the Ocho" all day.  Which is the abnormal championships of things.

Made me think that it would be a good place to show SCCA and NASA events- runoffs and Solo championships.  And that GRM/CM would be a good choice to make some of that content.  Not sure how to present it, but WRT the automotive world, it is the more obscure motorsports.  Not quite mower racing, but not common.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/23/20 12:03 p.m.

We have been talking about some alternatives, like I Racing, to regular events. I don't want to get our heads too turned around, as I believe this will be a short term pause in our lives, but we are looking at stuff.

I did send David a video I shot of BMW Isetta racing last fall, that he may post. Thought it might be some comic relief.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
3/23/20 12:40 p.m.

OK for a minute there I thought you guys were going to be committed. I've heard being locked up can do that to a person(s). 

Any whos, thanks for the postings and place to stick em. I will raise my next beer mug, probably a Corona, to y'all.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/23/20 1:11 p.m.

Facebook live tours of project cars (I understand if you want to omit some on your publication schedule).

Get into the details, show some suspension stuff, give a real feel for them. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/20 1:16 p.m.

Thanks Tim!  Post whoring and cruising around here helps to distract me from the issues at handlaugh

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 1:34 p.m.

Probably a good time for someone to write a feature about the two datsuns they did a photo shoot of at the 2017 $2000 challenge wink

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/23/20 1:38 p.m.

I appreciate GRM a lot for the content you create, the events you hold, and the forum you host. Thanks for doing what you do.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 1:40 p.m.

OK, I'll bite. I just installed my first set of coil overs and am looking for the following articles:

1. How to corner weight your car without scales.
  2. Identify which clunks are OK, and which are a result of improper coilover installation.
  3. How to make room for bigger tires while staying within your class regulations.
  4. Suspension Setup: How low is too low?
  5. How to determine which was is soft on your dampers if it is not marked. (and your butt dyno is weak)
  6. LSD noises: Are they normal or are you breaking something?
  7. How to pick up trashy women.
  8. Petitioning Tire manufacturers to make 16" tires with shorter sidewalls: A practical guide.
  9. Vibration Dampening iPhone Mounts Buyers Guide for Racer

Just a few off the top of my head.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 1:47 p.m.

Many thanks to everyone in the GRM family. Your collective efforts are giving us all a safe and comfortable haven through this storm. Please keep up the good work, while keeping yourselves healthy.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 1:50 p.m.

I couldn't love the Magazine more, and I don't mean to be the PC police or the Guy who has a problem with everything, but I do have a problem with this...

pinchvalve said:
  1. How to pick up trashy women.

laugh

I'm sure one of you has the entire rant saved somewhere, I can't seem to find it.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of the GRM Staff and the Dorks and wannabes here on the Board.  The commradery here makes other sites pale by comparison.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 1:51 p.m.
alfadriver said:

More of a long term thing- but watching ESPN2 yesterday- it was "ESPN8, the Ocho" all day.  Which is the abnormal championships of things.

Made me think that it would be a good place to show SCCA and NASA events- runoffs and Solo championships.  And that GRM/CM would be a good choice to make some of that content.  Not sure how to present it, but WRT the automotive world, it is the more obscure motorsports.  Not quite mower racing, but not common.

The problem is that unless the footage is already produced and ready for editing/commenting it isn't going to happen.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/23/20 2:20 p.m.

You know what GRM needs? A $500 Hyundai project car that ends up costing 10x that. 

Wait... no they don't. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/23/20 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

That's why I prefaced it by "More of a long term thing"....  Perfect for the occasional showing of ESPN8.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/23/20 2:34 p.m.

Umm... How about reaction videos to other people's car videos?  ;)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/23/20 2:48 p.m.
bobzilla said:

You know what GRM needs? A $500 Hyundai project car that ends up costing 10x that. 

Wait... no they don't. 

As far as project car math goes, that's downright reasonable.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/23/20 3:00 p.m.

Tim, I appreciate everything you and your staff do. Stay healthly. This too shall pass.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 3:03 p.m.

You guys are alright.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/23/20 3:21 p.m.

Lots of people are doing iracing

But nobody else has a parrot doing commentary of the Iracing action.

There's quite a long hot wheels score thread as well. Build a course, doesn't need to be railroad modeling level of detail, have us prep cars to send in to race. 

Stay safe, you've always been a valuable source of information and entertainment for us, we need you more than ever whole we're holed up. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/23/20 3:28 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
bobzilla said:

Wait... no they don't. 

As far as project car math goes, that's downright reasonable.

Can I give you my wife's number so you can explain this? She's not believing it from me. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q0wapbjBQva5naOypI0T9YkvZewusaCysjT7sWFma1P94z3iwzxZPFKG1o6aUbF8