Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/22/16 11:54 a.m.

Drove it to work today, still covered in dust from Saturday so I cleaned the interior very quickly and terribly. Just some simple spray cleaner and a few paper towels, but I remember hitting the turn signal 2-3 times, etc. But at least I could see the dash and didn't have standing dirt on the doors and center console.

Started raining onthe way, turn on the lights. Get to work, turn off the lights and car and go to get out. The parking lights stay on. Hm, turned the switch on and off, no luck. Started the car, tried again, even hit the stupid alarm twice, staying on no matter what. Someone suggested disconnecting the battery, I decided to be lazy and pulled the fuse.

Thinking I may have shorted something Saturday or a stuck relay, I tried a little Google-Fu. Saw enough posts about checking wiring, etc, but then saw a few people talking about a switch on top of the steering column that turns them on with the key off. Quite a few "OMG thank you I never saw that" replies made me go back out at lunch.

Sure as E36 M3, there's a little switch that barely peeks up that I had flipped by accident. Owned this car 2-3 years, never knew it existed...

Where's that Jeremy Clarkson meme of him saying "I MENDED IT! I MENDED SOMETHING!" ....ok found it.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
6/22/16 12:10 p.m.

Congratulations, you are now no longer a Subaru virgin.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
6/22/16 12:11 p.m.

Yep. That got me on my mom's 93 Impreza back in the day. Years later I bought an '02 and my wife ended up in the same situation as you, calling me to find out why the lights wouldn't turn off.

Still not sure if Subaru got the basic interior design that good in the early 90's or was that lazy that it pretty much stayed the same for 15 years.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/22/16 1:28 p.m.

Almost makes we want to go RTFM and see what else I've been missing.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/16 1:47 p.m.

I remember that exact same experience in my first Subaru. Don't feel bad about it.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/22/16 4:50 p.m.

Welcome to the Club.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
6/22/16 6:43 p.m.

Fortunately ours are new enough to not have that feature. Otherwise, the way my wife is always cleaning them, I would probably be buying new batteries by the gross.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
6/22/16 7:02 p.m.
RedGT wrote: Still not sure if Subaru got the basic interior design that good in the early 90's or was that lazy that it pretty much stayed the same for 15 years.

Both. Once they started to achieve something resembling mainstream success in '08 is when the party ended in a lot of ways. I blame Toyota.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K29V0WqYj3R576HOHMxUQJYeWPaunNOWcsy4yVok9pmXDiobCc6L1Dqc3cfJk4XT