1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/19 8:50 a.m.

That's a top or boot cover, not a tonneau. I don't know if there ever were any aftermarket options, every Miata came with one from the factory so demand was low. So it's very likely OE.

This is a factory tonneau.

Aftermarket. See the big ugly headrest pockets? Makes it much easier to live with but much less attractive. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/19 9:25 a.m.

The factory version requires that you slide the unused seat all the way forward and then all the way reclined in order to fit under the cloth.  Though this seems inconvenient...the aftermarket also requires seat back movement for many sized drivers.  The seat back (and maybe bottom) need to be moved so the tall seat lines up with the pocket given.  

You'll know if your Miata ever had a tonneau because up on the dashboard, where it meets the windshiled will be lwhat look like small grease zerk fittings.  These are the male end of the closure.  If you never had a tonneau there will be small black plastic covers over where these were to go.  Also, outside of the car, the rear view mirrors will have one snap closure.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/8/19 9:39 a.m.

Pretty sure this is the part Keith speaks of. It was stupid $$$ when I bought mine in 1990.

As I plan for my non-working days ahead, I consider what the fleet will look like. One iteration looks like an early Miata for me, insured as a real car,  a real late-model toaster for MRs NOHOME and whatever project is in the shop.

With the FRS, I have come to the realization that I have bought my last new car in this lifetime.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/19 10:02 a.m.

Oh wow, I’ve never heard nor seen anything like that!

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
4/8/19 12:56 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I always wondered what those little covers under the windshield were.  Thanks for teaching me something I didn't know about NA Miatas. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JIDVDQy0oSnwsbkkn29ftJZjsAjCPo7IjsHuKYaVgzAaQjFqGp0CVopkpXCC2i9x