Richard Petty, known as "The King" of NASCAR, turns 85 today.  They used to celebrate his birthday every year at the July 4 race in Daytona, but this year the series is racing at Road America.

How cool would it be to see the #43 car in victory lane again?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/22 7:04 a.m.

Richard Petty was my favorite driver as a kid!  My circle track (and rallyx) Crown Vic paint scheme is a nod to him. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/22 10:37 a.m.

Ken Block's favorite as well, that's why he runs #43.

I loved that he played the King in the Cars movie. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/2/22 3:21 p.m.

I always rooted for him.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/22 3:29 p.m.

I saw him in the Charlotte airport 3-4 years ago. I knew it was him so I went up to him and told him I really enjoyed watching him race and appreciated what he did for the sport. He was very nice and the handler he was traveling with asked if I would like a picture. Of course I said yes. After that everyone realized who it was and he talked with everyone that came up to him and took pictures. I thought it was a classy deal. He made a lot of people happy just by being there and talking. 
Happy birthday good sir!

Jimmy_K
Jimmy_K
7/2/22 3:38 p.m.

Andy, I'm with you there! My first Pinewood Derby car and first Soap Box Derby car were as close as I could get to Petty Blue. I could probably dig out photos, but it was so long ago, they would be black and white! laugh

Jimmy, thanks for posting up that beautiful Plymouth. That looks like Petty's championship car from 1971 that won something like 20 races in one season, just an incredible success!

There are so many personal stories like Nick's. By all accounts, the man is an exemplary sports hero who remains humble, and approachable. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MWYqz6XpdTYaQBAMlJCsCJ7S9Getaceo6RCyat82WkgOe8plXf5xwxcmn49kLc7X