Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/11 6:27 p.m.

My garage was a mess. Tools everywhere. The wife suggested I get a tool chest. I agreed and started checking prices.

Expensive. I then surfed over to Harbor Freight and noticed they were a lot cheaper. I also surfed to Lowes and saw some that looked like they were comparable in pricing as well as build quality.

They were not.

The low priced Lowes option didn't have ball bearing drawers. The fit wasn't good. It was priced cheaply and built appropriately so.

So I drove to HF and put my hands on the tool chests. Good stuff. They felt like they were built better and had options like ball bearing drawers, ball bearing casters, solid metal construction.

I bought this one.

..but in black and with a slightly different drawer config for $150.

I'll report back as to my experience with the product. I'm a light weight hobbyist when it comes to working on cars. I work in the garage about every other weekend.

Anyone else care to relate their experience with these tool cabinets or chests? I searched online before buying and there was a lot of "HF sells cheap crap!" posts. We know this. But I'm willing to bet with my wallet that this cabinet will work just fine and is built well enough for at least the hobbyist mechanic. The price point can't be beat.

Josh
Josh Dork
5/22/11 6:44 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I bought this one. ..but in black and with a slightly different drawer config for $150.

I do wish I had a HF outlet nearby, but I did pretty well trolling craigslist. Here's what I picked up for my $150 at an estate sale this weekend:

It appears to be about 20-25 years old, but very lightly used. Better than they make them today, for sure. I am in the process of taking out the foam/rubber drawer liners and replacing it with cork flooring. Lumber Liquidators sells a glue down cork flooring that ends up being cheaper by the foot than cork made for tool liners, and it's smooth finished and about 3x as thick. I'll have about $180 in the box when I get that done.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
5/22/11 7:26 p.m.

That cork looks too thick - how will you fit any tools in there?

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
5/22/11 7:34 p.m.
Josh wrote: I do wish I had a HF outlet nearby, but I did pretty well trolling craigslist. Here's what I picked up for my $150 at an estate sale this weekend: It appears to be about 20-25 years old, but very lightly used. Better than they make them today, for sure. I am in the process of taking out the foam/rubber drawer liners and replacing it with cork flooring. Lumber Liquidators sells a glue down cork flooring that ends up being cheaper by the foot than cork made for tool liners, and it's smooth finished and about 3x as thick. I'll have about $180 in the box when I get that done.

the lower half looks identical to the one i bought brand new in 98 or so. the year before, i bought a box like your top one, except with one big drawer at the top instead of 3 like yours. i can't remember for sure, but i got them both on sale (turns out you don't need to be a father to take advantage of father's day sales) and think i paid less than $200 for both.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/11 7:44 p.m.

Good scores there guys! WTG!

Josh
Josh Dork
5/22/11 8:45 p.m.

@SkinnyG: I'm not sure if you're joking, but that top drawer is not a drawer, it's a pullout work surface, so no, I won't be able to store any tools in it :).

@novaderrik: They don't sell this exact configuration now, but you can't get anything similar for $200 today. A close equivalent to that top box with a similar lower box (8 drawers, no pullout or foldout work surfaces) is $499 in the current catalog. I'm pretty happy considering. All I need now is a riser so I can put all my tool chargers under the top box.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
5/22/11 8:53 p.m.

I have a few Craftsman tool chests like the one pictured above. Both are older and have ball bearing drawers which work very well. I have seen some scratch and dent ones at the Sears Outlet stores for at least 50% off normal price and sometimes you can ask the guys in the retail stores if they have any that are banged up.

I really need one giant box to hold all my tools but a few smaller ones work well and don't break the bank. I use a label maker and stick them on cut up magnet scraps from when I made autocross numbers to organize my tools. Easy to move around with no permanent damage but they still look good and friends can find exactly what they need when they help me in the garage.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
5/22/11 10:16 p.m.

This US General chest from HF is generally agreed to be the best value you can get in a tool box. Even those COO obsessed snaponophiles over at garagejournal will agree that this is the best chest you can buy for twice the price.

I have been using one at work for 2 years now and love it.

At home however I sacrifice utility for style and restore 40's and 50's craftsman boxes. I have 3 so far and need one more to finish off my bench wall.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/11 10:28 p.m.

I went from a Garage Mahal (look it up) to a stacked 48" Snapon to a shed with three "hip boxes".

When we settle on a new home the workshop will be job 3.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
5/22/11 10:45 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: At home however I sacrifice utility for style and restore 40's and 50's craftsman boxes. I have 3 so far and need one more to finish off my bench wall.

Very cool! Love those looks.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/22/11 11:00 p.m.

Nice. I have a basic grip latch/ballbearing Craftsman combo from '02 that I picked up for school.

I'm also wanting a 40" bottom box with some particle board or such as a work area.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/23/11 8:01 a.m.

I just bought a two-piece Stanley with a riser brand new for $104. It's way nicer than i was expecting for the money, but i already need a bigger one.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
5/23/11 8:08 a.m.

This is timely!! I'm cleaning out my garage as well and was looking at the HF Tool Boxes.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/23/11 8:08 a.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

That bottom box is HOT. I would rock that in my garage, noooo question. Probably built like a sherman tank too.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/11 8:09 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: This US General chest from HF is generally agreed to be the best value you can get in a tool box. Even those COO obsessed snaponophiles over at garagejournal will agree that this is the best chest you can buy for twice the price. I have been using one at work for 2 years now and love it.

I have this exact one. I'm pretty impressed. Its no snap-on or matco, but its really quite excellent. I have some of the drawers loaded really heavy and it takes it like a champ. Good wheels, easy to roll, roller bearing drawer slides, good lock, do it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
5/23/11 8:21 a.m.
curtis73 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote: This US General chest from HF is generally agreed to be the best value you can get in a tool box. Even those COO obsessed snaponophiles over at garagejournal will agree that this is the best chest you can buy for twice the price. I have been using one at work for 2 years now and love it.
I have this exact one. I'm pretty impressed. Its no snap-on or matco, but its really quite excellent. I have some of the drawers loaded really heavy and it takes it like a champ. Good wheels, easy to roll, roller bearing drawer slides, good lock, do it.

I've got this one too. Got it for $305 on sale with the 20% coupon. I love it, and have nothing bad to say about it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
5/23/11 8:38 a.m.

I have not gotten a tool chest from them due to my lack of, ummm, a garage, but I have had a great experience with their tools from drills to welders. I plan on buying one if their tool boxes when I get a garage unless I win one from racing junk.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
5/23/11 8:41 a.m.

I've been looking at that H-F box for years... the only thing that's kept me from pulling the trigger is a lack of space. For now, my 20 year old 26x18 Craftsman with an used drop-front top and 3 dr mid box will have to do.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/23/11 8:58 a.m.

I purchased the larges "mastercraft" tool cabinet that is available at Menards. I went back and forth between the MC and the HF. I liked the layout of the HF one but the MC one at Menards ended up being cheaper ($550 for both parts out the door on super sale one "project days"). I'm about 80% certain they are made in the same factory. They use the same slides in the same arangment. The drawers in the MC were made out of thicker steel and the cabinet seemed a little heavier duty. The wheels are top notch. Overall I was very pleased with my purchase but would have been happy with the HF one. The MC one is also Green which is pretty cool it looks like christmas next to my old Cman.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
5/23/11 9:14 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: I've got this one too. Got it for $305 on sale with the 20% coupon. I love it, and have nothing bad to say about it.

They let you use the 20% off coupon on a tool box, Neat, I need two almost three off them about that size.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UhaMC7pTQ3EulIpuMc1NswlTUA9fwPEjrAfKwHvKZHYmTxjHTEelrupe3UomHQnQ