1 2 3
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/21 10:16 a.m.

Yes. My C5 Z06. I bought one of the nicest ones and the next day took it on a road trip of about 4 hours. I had a headache for two days afterwards from the resonance, and it was all stock. Then I started realizing how crappy it was to live with day to day. Then I realized I literally could not buy tires for it in the OE size at all. So I sold it.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/14/21 11:04 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
GCrites80s said:

Wow, what a weird year for a Chevrolet dealer to shut down. I can see 2009, but 2004 was a big year for car sales. And it wasn't the location, the Beechmont "Automile" was well known. They must have been bad. Maybe they had to sell the franchise to somone else in town or move it for a reboot.

Wyler is only one exit away and huge.  That probably had an effect.  Even in 2004, Beechmont was trending towards import lots, I can't remember if the Mercury/Lincoln lot was gone at that point or not.  I think Maserati had opened up somewhere along there by then.

Maserati was in the same building as Beechmont Porsche before they moved to Mariemont around 2009. I don't know if Maserati moved with them.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/14/21 11:10 a.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

In 1989 I drove my bought with cash 1984 Toyota 4x4 into the dealership to "have a look" at the swoopy new '89's. I walked out with the only new vehicle I have ever purchased. 18 per cent interest and it took every penny I had to make the down payment large enough to fit my income. They gave me about a dollar for my old one and all the salesmen did the Toyota jump when I drove out. It was just after Christmas and I spent the entire holiday at home looking at it in the driveway because I had no money to put gas in it. I had about a week to fully comprehend the stupidity of my purchase. I paid it off in four years and it was a lovely truck but I was also broke for four years and I sold it as soon as it was paid for and bought cheap 1972 Blazer. You can guess which was the better investment. 

Cars depreciated horribly back then. Today (even pre-virus) they'd have to give you 75% of what a Toyota truck cost new after 5 years.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/21 2:48 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

I told all my kids that story as a moral of taking on unaffordable debt, and also of depreciation.

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
5/16/21 8:56 p.m.

Bought an '84 944 a couple years ago for cheap because I really wanted one.  Ignored all the red flags - and there were lots of them - since the price was so low.  I regretted my decision about 10 minutes into the ride home.  Then I regretted it some more when I pulled into the driveway because I hadn't technically gotten permission from the wife to bring home another car...

I think I kept it for a little over a year but got tired of always wrenching on it and never driving it.  Sold it on to a new home. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/17/21 8:09 a.m.

Not really, but then I have not owned the amount of cars some of you have.  There have been forgettable cars, but thankfully I have had little or no money in them.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/21 9:22 a.m.

About 6 years ago, I bought an E90 335xi sedan as a daily driver and baby hauler. Got it with 22k miles CPO from a local BMW dealership. Within a week, the injectors started leaking. Then the coils went bad. Temporary plates were still on the car. Then the high-pressure fuel pump let go. Then the "footwell module." Then coils again ... and injectors again. And on and on and on. Total pice of crap.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/21 8:44 p.m.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8pvgNTo2Vn5UCFpyrs9gfRQlOP77xlOdx47ZpDGPaucbHggja3Z8dzpCB4cPHdn9