1 2 3
Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/16/10 7:48 a.m.

so, the new sonata is a hit. It's bigger, but lighter, has a pair of DI 4cyl engines that achieve almost hybrid camry fuel mileage..... and now the new Accent comes out with its 1.6L GDI engine, 140hp, 42mpg and almost entry level luxury in a $12k package.

Then they release the new Elantra which is over 300lbs lighter than the model it replaces, makes more hp and has 29/40 epa ratings.

A carmaker making cars with more power, more features, better economy AND lighter? What the hell is everyone else doing?

RossD
RossD Dork
11/16/10 8:28 a.m.

For me, Hyundai would be getting it if the accent or elantra was rear wheel drive, had roll up windows, rubber floors, cloth seats, manual trans, and turbo 4 cylinder while retailing for $10k. Sub 2200lbs, too.

But things being the way they are, I'd rather buy the Fiesta, even with the 2-4 mpg deficit, just for the 'buying American' aspect. (I know, the car would probably be assembled in Mexico somewhere... )

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/10 8:35 a.m.

The Fiesta is from Ford of Europe and is not built here. The Hyundai is built in the US. "Buy American" is not what it used to be.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/16/10 8:49 a.m.

I think in general Hyundai is on a roll. They have some pretty good looking cars, and the fluid design philosophy seems to work. I'm not a fan of the oversized flat wheel arches on the Elantra or any car, but the Sonata seems nice enough. In a world of mofugly vehicles, I think at least from a design standpoint they and Ford are both doing better than average.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/16/10 8:57 a.m.

When is that 140hp 1.6L supposed to hit showrooms? I just checked Hyundai's site, and it's still showing the 110hp motor in the 2011 accent.

I give them major props, though - they have a vehicle selector that allows you to choose RWD/FWD/AWD, min/max hp/price and some other stuff, and as you slide the sliders, the cars that no longer match your criteria get greyed out. Very cool.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/16/10 8:59 a.m.

I love the "I'd buy it if it were a completely different car" comment.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/16/10 9:00 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The Fiesta is from Ford of Europe and is not built here. The Hyundai is built in the US. "Buy American" is not what it used to be.

The Fiesta may have been born in Europe, but it will be built at Wayne Assembly, right here in Michigan.

Not sure where Hyundai is made, though. Some may be built here, but many are still imported from Korea.

As for "if they've made it"- we will see if the consumers buy them- that's the real test. Can't really comment on the info, although it appears to be good.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/16/10 9:05 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I love the "I'd buy it if it were a completely different car" comment.

invariably, that comment or one like it gets posted in any thread on a new model or generation of car that is vastly improved over the car it replaces. people say they want zero amenities, optional a/c, no carpet blah blah blah, but the reality is that nobody that isn't building a rally car wants that in a car.

overall, from what has been described, it sounds like hyundai has somewhat figured out how to make a good, cheap, light, but still feature-rich car at a low price. good on them for that, hopefully other companies will follow

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/16/10 9:06 a.m.

Sonata, Sante Fe, and the new MD Elantra (2012) are made in Alabama. The Accent, Gen coupe, Gen sedan and the Veracruz are still made in S. Korea. All have come from the US design studio in SoCal.

2012 Accents will likely hit our showrooms somewhere late march/early april. Elantra somewhere in the same time frame.

Hyundai's sales numbers are up through the roof. IIRC, they are about 20% over last years numbers. The will sell more than 500k cars in the US this year.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
11/16/10 9:27 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Hyundai's sales numbers are up through the roof. IIRC, they are about 20% over last years numbers. The will sell more than 500k cars in the US this year.

Hyundai looks like it will sell more than 400K cars this year.The Sonata is doing way better than last year, but is still behind the Camry/Accord/Altima/Corolla/Fusion/Civic as of YTD October. Total Hyundai America market share YTD 2009 4.3, YTD October, 4.7.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/10 9:32 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: Total Hyundai America market share YTD 2009 4.3, YTD October, 4.7.

OMFG they are TAKING OVER!!

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
11/16/10 9:37 a.m.

I think they do "get it". Love the new turbo sonata commercial. Need to check to see if that comes in a manual transmission.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
11/16/10 9:42 a.m.

boo, no manual in the turbo.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
11/16/10 9:46 a.m.

Is the 3 door Accent hatchback configuration dead in the USA starting in 2011? I saw the restyle and it looks decent but I think it's a shame that the 3 door is gone, although since I'm not really that interested in buying one anyway...

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
11/16/10 9:59 a.m.

i just saw a 2011 3 door listed on hyundai's website.

until they offer the 2.0T sonata with a manual gearbox they dont get it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/16/10 10:03 a.m.

We're hearing the hatch will be back in 2012 for the Accent. thankfully.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/16/10 10:12 a.m.

Don't see an Accent on the site that gets 42. That would interest me. Especially at $12K. The only option that I want is A/C. I will take anything else, but only really WANT the A/C.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
11/16/10 11:30 a.m.

Has Hyundai figured it out? In a word...yes.

Their progress here in the past 25 years has been incredible. Remember the '86 Excel? They've continually improved the quality of their cars and made them more and more competitive in their class, always with a lower sticker price. Quite a formula for success.

As we've seen with their recent cars, I'd bet they continue to move upmarket. They've got a nameplate to cover the no frills cheap car market, Kia. They offer the true "budget oriented" cars. I've got an '06 Sedona to haul the kiddies around in. Bought it new for $17k...couldn't even touch an Oddity or Sienna for under $24k.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/16/10 11:32 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Don't see an Accent on the site that gets 42. That would interest me. Especially at $12K. The only option that I want is A/C. I will take anything else, but only really WANT the A/C.

That's because the '12's aren't at the dealerships. They will be out mid next year. What you're seeing is the current models ('11)

used to have an 81gtv6
used to have an 81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/10 11:38 a.m.
WilberM3 wrote: i just saw a 2011 3 door listed on hyundai's website. until they offer the 2.0T sonata with a manual gearbox they dont get it.

I agree for the most part. I have been thinking lately about what will replace my 9-5 and the options are thin for a 4/5 door sedan with a manual and a turbo.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
11/16/10 11:45 a.m.
nocones wrote:
JFX001 wrote: Total Hyundai America market share YTD 2009 4.3, YTD October, 4.7.
OMFG they are TAKING OVER!!

In 1989 We could have had this exact same conversation about Honda.
Do they finally get it? Are they going to sell cars?
Well the new stuff they come out with is pretty neat, have you seen the 1988 Civic?
But they only have 5% market share!! HAHA!

See? They're on their way. Give them time. Honda/Toyota will shrink and Hyundai, if they keep this up, will begin to lead, at least in terms of sales and content for a while.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/16/10 11:48 a.m.

For $12k, I got my Accent GS with A/C AND pw, pl, pb, ps, am/fm/xm/cd/mp3/usb/ipod/six/speaker/stereo, and the super race car close ratio transmission... That's not bad considering A/C is a $1000 option on the base/blue model.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/16/10 11:49 a.m.

^ tHIS. I've been saying for a couple years that Hyundai is where Toy/Hon where in the mid 80's. Only... they had to overcome the stigma they created called the "Excel".

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/16/10 12:39 p.m.

I can't fap to this.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/16/10 12:45 p.m.

BTW, for those of you complaining about the lack of manuals, can you please go out and buy new cars?

If you don't, the current make up will continue to evolve and eliminate manuals.

Or do I need to remind you that OEM's will always ignore the buyer of used cars. Always.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
atnr8mVOHwm7Xl1NJvJmAazToXEwf7PJjzcuIDTHhEoZGr6sfdsNNo779PV9yDnb