Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/30/14 6:04 p.m.

I hate buying and owning a new car. It's been 12, almost 13 years since my last new car purchase (2002 WRX wagon, the best car ever built), and I brought home a MKVII GTI today. Not sure it was the right thing with a two kid family, but there wasn't anything else that was hitting my buttons, and.... WTF. My kids get within five feet of it and I'm beside myself. I would just key it from front to rear to save us all the pain, but it doesn't take a key.

This berkeleying car is more complicated than anything I've owned, and it scares me. Bought the USAA 6 year 100k warranty, and I'm not a warranty guy.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/30/14 6:10 p.m.

I get that way about all the cars I build. and the ones I buy that I actually like. it takes a while to get over. easiest way is to chip it with something shot from the lawnmower or bench grinder. gets easier after that. im hoping to get that chip out of the way during assembly on the elky.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/30/14 7:06 p.m.

They are starting to have these on the lots around here for more than a minute, and it seems as though you can fit actual adults in the back seat easily. I am tempted to take a test drive in one, but if I do buy one I'm waiting for the performance package so I get a real LSD.

How do you like yours so far? DSG or 6 speed?

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
8/31/14 5:26 a.m.

I really came in here expecting a Lincoln, given your hatred of owning a new car.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/31/14 7:18 a.m.

Ha ha- no lincoln. I think the only lincoln I could see myself in would be a 60's convertible.

I've only got 14 miles on the car so far. 6 speed manual. Interior is fantastic. I'm too nervous to get a real driving impression yet.... first new car since 2002. It feels much bigger than the '02 WRX, but it could be because it's more difficult to see the corners of the car- the hood slopes away from the windshield quite drastically. Back seat is pretty good size for full size adults. Hatch is decent size, actually- 22 cubic feet vs the wrx wagon's 32, but much bigger than other hatches on the market.

Any recommendations for winter tire package? This was one of the deals I made with the wife if we're giving up AWD for the winter. Tire rack shows a 16" option, but don't know the implications if any for TPMS etc. No steel wheels yet either. Grr- looks like another grand out of pocket.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/31/14 8:14 a.m.
Richard Nixon wrote: I really came in here expecting a Lincoln, given your hatred of owning a new car.

Yeah, me too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GG1m8EgLuPurpQVjLsCwbNNKATQaKcFgy8ivDzjqifFY7UxRWma4e0PMKplTfVq3