1 2 3 4 ... 6
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/22 12:01 a.m.

My 1996 Camaro SS might be a one of a kind based on options, but I don't think anyone really cares.  I'm going to do my own thing with it because collectibility went away about 100k miles ago.  

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/22 3:20 a.m.
yupididit said:

Oh and I have an 87 Conquest sitting in a lot in California. The property owner recently asked when I'm coming for my cars to which I said "cars? You mean car?" And he replies "your 88 Starion is here too". I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT HE WAS HOLDING TWO CARS FOR ME FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS! surprise

We are gonna need pics. I remember the last Starion I saw in the wild, it was back when I still had a mk1 MR2, so 2006-7? These things just faded away. Was parked near the top of a winding California mountain road on a pullout, looked perfect sitting there in it's white square fendered glory

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/22 6:11 a.m.

Rare? Only imported into USA for one year. Desirable? Well, only imported into the country for one year, so that answers that.

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart wagon. It's been a reliable daily driver for me since 2010, and has served as a backup/bad weather autocross car. I finished second in H Street at the cold and wet Florida state championship in 2020. Edit: 2021.

It's now my son's daily. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
4/30/22 3:27 p.m.

My tow pig is the fairly rare quadrasteer suburban.  Probably not terribly desirable.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
4/30/22 3:28 p.m.

since it's a one of one, the Zoomboni is my rarest ride.

You tell me if it's actually desirable.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/30/22 3:43 p.m.

Nothing more radwood than a 1993 VW Corrado, with all the OEM+ Euro parts!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/30/22 3:55 p.m.

My 1960 El Camino 

There were only 14,000 made, but that was 60 years ago. Very few remain. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/22 4:17 p.m.
SV reX said:

My 1960 El Camino 

In 1975, there was one of these abandoned on the railroad right of way that was complete except for the four barrel, air cleaner and seats. 

I had to send a letter to the DMV to find out who was the registered owner. I got the phone number, and talked to his mother. He was out of the country and had no interest in helping me get the title. I'm sure it got crushed eventually.

4/30/22 4:52 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

My 1996 Camaro SS might be a one of a kind based on options, but I don't think anyone really cares.  I'm going to do my own thing with it because collectibility went away about 100k miles ago.  

See no one cares.  But let's show how rare this one is since I found the numbers again.  In 96 SLP made 2410 SS's for GM.  The SS is a 2 sticker car.  Mine had all SLP options available in Feb 96.  All of them.

Total cars = 2410
The total of 2263 is for U.S. cars only and the total 2410 is for both U.S. and Canada.
147 were built for Canada.

Red = 831 or 36.72 %
Coupe = 690 or 30.49 %
6-Speed = 1496 or 66.11 %
Exhaust = 2072 or 91.56 %
Torsen = 1263 or 55.81 %
Suspension = 905 or 39.99 %
Hurst Shifter = 1354 or 90.51 % (of 6-spd cars)
Floor Mats = 1947 or 86.03 %
Car Cover = 1221 or 53.95 %
R1 Tires = 93 or 4.11 %

Mine did not get the oil cooler since it was not an option until mid-year.  Having the R1 tires on a separate set of wheels and being a slick top with all of the other options the car could be 1 of 1 or very few.  The extra wheels and car cover are long gone but the SLP 2nd sticker matches their database and the car is verified legitimate.  I got it for cheap too.  I'm going to build a drag and drive car out of it and enjoy it, but no one cares about rare 4th gens.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/3/22 11:11 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I remember the press materials mentioning the second set of wheels for a set of R1s. That's pretty hardcore. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/4/22 9:47 a.m.

To me, options don't make a car rare. If I have a Camry that came from the factory painted pink, it's just a normal car painted weird. 

IMO, a rare car is defined by production runs. And probably production runs over time. 

A common car that is optioned well is just that.  A rare car that is also optioned well does make it both rare and more desirable.

There were only 5674 Miatas produced in 2011. That doesn't make Miatas rare. 

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Quadrasteers always blow my mind in parking lots.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/22 12:22 p.m.

Rare, yes, desirable, maybe.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/22 12:32 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
SV reX said:

My 1960 El Camino 

In 1975, there was one of these abandoned on the railroad right of way that was complete except for the four barrel, air cleaner and seats. 

I had to send a letter to the DMV to find out who was the registered owner. I got the phone number, and talked to his mother. He was out of the country and had no interest in helping me get the title. I'm sure it got crushed eventually.

I was blown off the road in the early '00's by an extremely cute, heavily tattooed, goth girl who winked as she went passed in her black '60 Chevy that was smoking out of both pipes.  That's my only '60 Chevy story and what I think about every time I see one.

Opti
Opti Dork
5/4/22 1:16 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I do. I think what you meant was no one cares about rare lt1 powered 4th gen. Im seeing crazy stuff for ls1 and lt4 powered cars.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/4/22 1:20 p.m.

None of mine are rare, I think they're all (at least somewhat) desirable!

1998 Camaro LS1/T56 with T-Tops. Fun to blast around in!

1975 Datsun 280z

1975 Ford Courier. 

I need to get the '75s back on the road.. the Courier used to draw so much attention, everyone knew someone who had one. I think it's a great fleet. If they were all running, the Camaro would be the first to go. But it's the only one running, so I'll keep it for at least this summer :)

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/4/22 1:22 p.m.

Technically my 6 speed manual Outback is rare.................it's also desirable to me.

5/4/22 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

I don't think many care about those either but the few that do drive up prices.  I've seen GMMG cars and LS1 Firehawks that don't sell fast lately.  There just isn't much demand for rare 4th gens.  But you are right, no one cares about the LT1 cars.  I was actually looking for a Firehawk when this car fell in my lap.  Now I figure it's my job to save it.  

5/4/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

The funny thing about it though is people that don't really know cars they want to talk about it.  I hear so many my friend had a Camaro stories now.....  only my 3rd gen Vette got more attention from the average person.  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/4/22 1:50 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
SV reX said:

My 1960 El Camino 

I was blown off the road in the early '00's by an extremely cute, heavily tattooed, goth girl who winked as she went passed in her black '60 Chevy that was smoking out of both pipes.  That's my only '60 Chevy story and what I think about every time I see one.

Flat top or bubble top?

IIRC, 1960 wsa the only year that had both.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/22 4:32 p.m.

My '78 Crossle 32f is fairly rare.  While the 32f had one of the largest production runs from the manufacturer they only made it for two years (77-78) and only built 140 cars in that time.  Since they're 44 year old race cars there aren't too many of them still around.

My motorcycle is not as rare (and also, not a car) but still somewhat unusual.  It's a 1983 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo.  Also the second year from a two year run.  Yamaha made 5,500 the first year and 1,500 the second.  I bought mine new in the crate as a 5 year old leftover in '88.  Here it is shortly after I bought it.

Here it is after I did a full restoration with some updates in 2015.

That's pretty much what it looks like now although it's showing some wear and tear since I ride it regularly.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/4/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Out of all of the Formula Fords, the 32F has to be one of the prettiest. 

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
5/4/22 6:25 p.m.

I have a bone stock 2012 Honda Crosstour. Uncommon, not desirable.

I won't bother you all with a pic. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/22 6:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to APEowner :

Out of all of the Formula Fords, the 32F has to be one of the prettiest. 

Thanks.  I've always liked them. They're also pretty darn good race cars.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/4/22 9:33 p.m.

I have an '88 BMW 325iX, they weren't necessarily rare but production was limited.

I also have an '86 BMW M535i which is pretty rare, at least in the US.

I also have a '61 Pontiac Bonneville with a tripower engine and a four speed transmission which make it pretty unusual.  It also came from the factory with special order paint colors, so that most likely makes it a 1 of 1 car.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
awR2DanKvSRhJDLpW00drQmlGMrn7rCJUfec2xHvdZvAZwUgRbyV0qv5Td5sM26s