1 2 3
Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/21 11:21 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

Couch St is absolutely not pronounced like the furniture. It's pronounced like the much more hilarious part of women's anatomy. 

Yup.  I lived at 23rd and Couch for quite a lot of my younger days.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/21 11:24 a.m.

Couch at 23 is some of the best Couch, at least that's how I remember it! 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/21 11:34 a.m.
mslevin said:

Berkeley/Oakland:

Potholes everywhere. I-80 is always backed up from the bridge to Albany, with no good reason. Don't trust that everyone will stop at stop signs (or even red lights). Watch for cyclist and please pass them safely. Google maps will take you on "shortcuts" through neighborhoods that are just as slow, so just stay on the highway. Did I mention the potholes?

Do the cyclists still clog both directions of traffic heading one direction every rush hour?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/19/21 11:34 a.m.
triumph7 said:
Nick Comstock said:

My hometown of Hamilton,  Ohio

1. Don't make eye contact

2. Be vigilant for random druggies stumbling out into traffic at any time of day.

3. If you hear a car backfiring it's actually gunshots,  duck and get the hell out of there. 

4. Stop by Goldstar chili on your way out of town, ignore that garbage ass skyline chili unless you like the garbage people it attracts and having the runs. 

Also originally from Hamilton... changed a lot since I grew up there.  My advice is don't bother, there's nothing really left there.  Actually, the River's Edge  venue is good for free concerts.  I will disagree on the Skyline though.

Yeah,  the 90s and 00s were rough on old Hamilton. All the manufacturing disappeared.  Diebold, Mosler, western states and so many other places either moved out of country or simply closed there doors for good. All that's left there is misery, despair and drugs.  I left in 06 and nothing in this world will get me back there. 

And the chili thing was just a dig. You know how it goes with such a polarizing issue wink

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/19/21 1:59 p.m.

I live in a tourist town. I am frequented with some of the dumbest people I've ever met. Our town does not even have stoplights, and the people that frequents our town are usually from a city that is filled with them. I am in constant shock when I find that these people that come from a city filled with bike lanes, bus lanes, railroads, stoplights, one ways, and every other street sign you can think of, and yet they cannot negotiate a simple two-way stop.

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen somebody not stop at the stop sign at all, or come to a complete stop when there is no stop sign. If your stupid ass can't figure out what a red octagon looks like, I don't want you piloting a 3000 pound missile in my town.

The other hilarious one I encountered was when a young lady pulled along side me along the sidewalk. She asked "do you know how to get to the town of sisters?" (That's the town I used to live in). 

Your kidding me... you missed the gigantic signs everywhere stating "welcome to Sisters"? I somehow managed to contain my rage, and pause while staring intently at this young lady. And the most beautiful answer came to my mind. "Oh you just passed it by about 45 miles, turn around and you'll find it."

45mi back the way she came is on top of a mountain Pass. Good riddance. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/21 2:23 p.m.

My best advice? Go home. Never come back. 

Whatever amount of money the tourists bring to town, it's not worth it.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/21 6:51 p.m.

Central PA.... Driving 15 in a 35 is not cool.  Driving 40 in a 55 is not cool.  Driving in the left lane while not actively passing is not cool. I also hope they reserve a special spot in Hell for people who stop at the bottom of highway on-ramps.  There might be a 1/2 mile of merge lane, but people will still stop.

And turn off your berkeleying high beams

mslevin
mslevin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/19/21 7:49 p.m.
RevRico said:
mslevin said:

Berkeley/Oakland:

Potholes everywhere. I-80 is always backed up from the bridge to Albany, with no good reason. Don't trust that everyone will stop at stop signs (or even red lights). Watch for cyclist and please pass them safely. Google maps will take you on "shortcuts" through neighborhoods that are just as slow, so just stay on the highway. Did I mention the potholes?

Do the cyclists still clog both directions of traffic heading one direction every rush hour?

Traffic often makes it unsafe to ride a bike around here if that's what you mean. I'm not onboard with the whole "anti cyclist get out of the road vroom vroom here I come in my car" rhetoric. CA law says they can take the lane if necessary, if that makes people mad, then maybe they should get outside more to relax. Perhaps a nice bike ride?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
11/19/21 9:50 p.m.

Here in Northampton county PA 10 MPH over is a minimum speed. If you want to go slow, go back to New Jersey dammit.

JimS
JimS Reader
11/19/21 11:01 p.m.

Triangle area of NC.  Watch out for red light runners. I grew up in Massachusetts, spent most of my working life in DC area, retired to NC and have never seen people run red lights like they do here. 

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
11/19/21 11:12 p.m.

If your not comfortable going near highway speeds, on the highway or interstate, you probably shouldn’t be on the highways or interstate.

Yes, I realize it’s snowing/raining/windy. This  is Wisconsin that kind of  E36 M3 happens. 

Those deer on the shoulder, are just napping. I don’t know why they like to sleep there, they just do. Don’t worry about it .

Going 35 in a 70, or hitting the brakes every time you look up from your phone is a recipe for an accident for everyone. 

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/21 12:24 a.m.

I live next to Redwood National Park.

Please stop, park, and look at the trees.   Do not drive and try to look at the trees.  If you hit one, Redwood trees are big and do . not . move. Redwood trees can kill you.

We also have herds of Roosevelt Elk.  They are also big - a bull elk can easily weigh more than 1,000 lbs.  Bull elk have large antlers and don't want you petting them, their cows, or their calves.  Bull elk can kill you.

Understand, you are not visiting Disneyland.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/20/21 7:34 a.m.

Rome, NY: How the berkeley did you end up here? You must be seriously lost. Get back on 81 or 90 and keep driving.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/20/21 9:32 a.m.

The left lane is for CRIME.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/21 10:45 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

There's one stop light and 1300 people.

Wow, sounds like we're from the same place. 

Close, but less hurricanes and more snow

fearlesfil
fearlesfil New Reader
11/20/21 11:08 a.m.

Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area: HOV lanes are just the passing lane Mon-Fri 9AM-3PM/ 7PM-6AM and all Sat-Sun. There are signs virtually every mile indicating this. Please enjoy reading them at your leisure, then Get the heck over and stay there !@#$%

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
11/20/21 11:51 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

Yeah,  the 90s and 00s were rough on old Hamilton. All the manufacturing disappeared.  Diebold, Mosler, western states and so many other places either moved out of country or simply closed there doors for good. All that's left there is misery, despair and drugs.  I left in 06 and nothing in this world will get me back there. 

And the chili thing was just a dig. You know how it goes with such a polarizing issue wink

Don't forget Champion Papers and a lot of the retailers that were in downtown.  I think they are trying to rejuvenate the place like OTR in Cincy, now a very hip, yuppie area (though you can still get shot there).  I grew up there in the 60s and 70s and when, by chance, I drive through there I recognize nothing.

What turned me off of Gold Star, I went for lunch one time and the stuff was so thick it looked like dog food from a can.  Been there since but it's not preferred.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
11/20/21 8:59 p.m.

In reply to tomtomgt356 (Tommy) :

The only problem with your advice is that to get from Ohio to Fla on I-75, one must go through Atlanta, which is what I believe we're trying to avoid at all costs. Besides that, your advice is spot on......

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/20/21 9:07 p.m.

Like all of Portlandia, there's a kernel of truth somewhere in there. Oddly, less so since we got so many people who moved here because of Portlandia...

I like my wife's take, which is that drivers here have a certain whimsy about how they approach driving. Though the last couple of years have seen a lot of increase in aggression (which I suspect is true most places).

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
11/21/21 9:23 a.m.

Austin, North/South:

I-35 through downtown Austin is a parking lot. Always. There is a toll road that bypasses Austin, and I would tell you to take that around, but since that's what I'M doing, you go ahead and stay on I-35 and stay out of my way.

Mopac/Loop 1 (it's not a loop, by the way)  is also a parking lot. It didn't use to be, like maybe 30 years ago, but has been ever since and just getting worse. No, Loop 360 (it's not a loop either, sorry) is not an option - red lights every couple hundred yards. Have fun.

Austin, East/West:

183/Research across the north part of town is busy, but can be used at certain times of the day - traffic/construction/wrecks not withstanding.

Ben White/71/290 (Yes, the same pavement really has all those names, depending on how far east or west you are) Again, can be busy, but usually works to get across the south part of town - just watch for long lines at exit ramps backed up for a mile or more into the right lane(s) at southbound I35 and out towards Loop 360. Expect parking lots westbound out towards Oak Hill and eastbound over 183 out by the airport.

There are ways to get around town and avoid the traffic, but it's knowledge I've learned the hard way through decades of driving in, on, over, around, and through Austin, I'll be damned if I'll share it and ruin my shortcuts.

Basically, if you're visiting Austin, and plan on driving in - don't. We have an airport, use it. Don't rent a car. Whatever hotel you're staying at has a shuttle bus service (if it doesn't, you're staying at the wrong hotel) - use it. Come in for a few days, spend your money, go back home. Thanks.  

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/21/21 10:30 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

Like all of Portlandia, there's a kernel of truth somewhere in there. Oddly, less so since we got so many people who moved here because of Portlandia...

I like my wife's take, which is that drivers here have a certain whimsy about how they approach driving. Though the last couple of years have seen a lot of increase in aggression (which I suspect is true most places).

It's due to the Californians moving up. They've made the roadways way more aggressive. Old Portland used to be filled with slow moving hippies headed to Powell's books. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/21/21 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Buck Futter :

Powell's is awesome

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/21/21 1:22 p.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

Austin, North/South:

I-35 through downtown Austin is a parking lot. Always. There is a toll road that bypasses Austin, and I would tell you to take that around, but since that's what I'M doing, you go ahead and stay on I-35 and stay out of my way.

Mopac/Loop 1 (it's not a loop, by the way)  is also a parking lot. It didn't use to be, like maybe 30 years ago, but has been ever since and just getting worse. No, Loop 360 (it's not a loop either, sorry) is not an option - red lights every couple hundred yards. Have fun.

Austin, East/West:

183/Research across the north part of town is busy, but can be used at certain times of the day - traffic/construction/wrecks not withstanding.

Ben White/71/290 (Yes, the same pavement really has all those names, depending on how far east or west you are) Again, can be busy, but usually works to get across the south part of town - just watch for long lines at exit ramps backed up for a mile or more into the right lane(s) at southbound I35 and out towards Loop 360. Expect parking lots westbound out towards Oak Hill and eastbound over 183 out by the airport.

There are ways to get around town and avoid the traffic, but it's knowledge I've learned the hard way through decades of driving in, on, over, around, and through Austin, I'll be damned if I'll share it and ruin my shortcuts.

Basically, if you're visiting Austin, and plan on driving in - don't. We have an airport, use it. Don't rent a car. Whatever hotel you're staying at has a shuttle bus service (if it doesn't, you're staying at the wrong hotel) - use it. Come in for a few days, spend your money, go back home. Thanks.  

Can confirm.  Don't drive in Austin. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JapZPDaULyLdUcxLW6NA2KanuRrgPT4C8FZUoNs69zGO9UquidsgdEGTWBhrrs36