Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/23/19 11:49 a.m.

I might be behind the times, but just read the latest R&T at lunch and see an article about this beast.  I have to agree, THIS is what might finally get people to stop disregarding electric futures.  Old-school hot rodding a classic (whatever you determine is a classic, a 57 Belair or 82 Civic) into a crazy electric tire-shredding beast.

Google if interested but here's at least one link:

Accord going 0-60 in 2.7 seconds

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 11:55 a.m.

I kinda like the article after that one wink

Tesla drivetrains are the LS motors of the electric world. There are all sorts of interesting possibilities - and you can pick and choose what you want for both power and range depending on how you want to package batteries. The Teslonda is a halo car for a shop that sells conversion parts, it is working.

I may have maybe taken a few measurements. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/19 11:59 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I would be interested in an electric ND RF.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/23/19 12:26 p.m.

The most amusing part is how it has a Gasser vibe for a car that doesn't use gas.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 12:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I kinda like the article after that one wink

Tesla drivetrains are the LS motors of the electric world. There are all sorts of interesting possibilities - and you can pick and choose what you want for both power and range depending on how you want to package batteries. The Teslonda is a halo car for a shop that sells conversion parts, it is working.

I wouldn't be so generous as to compare a Tesla powertrain to an LS. The one similarity they have is that they're an easy button for swapping in big power, but the similarities end there. Tesla powertrains are expensive and the motors have inherent cooling problems. Also the stock setup of the motor, inverter and diff all being bolted together into one assembly with the diff also acting as a coolant manifold for the other two creates unnecessary packaging constraints.

Keith Tanner
5/23/19 1:46 p.m.

Of course they're not the exact same. But they're the obvious choice for these sort of things due to their ubiquity and their power level. That's as deep as I was going in the comparison. 

MrChaos said:
Keith Tanner said:

I would be interested in an electric ND RF.

I'll be checking my mailbox for the deposit :)

Papabear
Papabear New Reader
5/23/19 2:18 p.m.

If GM ever decides to release the Electric crate engine they were showing at SEMA I think Electric swaps will be easier. With it having a LS bellhousing bolt pattern it can go anywhere the LS can. Tesla powertrains are not the easiest swaps due to the electronic controls. The guys that swapped one into a exocet had a ton of time in the software controlling it all. 

Keith Tanner
5/23/19 2:30 p.m.

That's the hard part of modern swaps. We've come a long way since power, ground and a fuel line to the mechanical fuel pump feeding the carb. The powertrain suppliers like the guys who build the Teslonda are the ones who are doing the software engineering to make the Tesla powertrain work. It'll be up to the installer to figure out how to integrate it. Easy on an old Honda, considerably more difficult on a car that already thinks for itself and has opinions. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xdTTlqf6JikX7k6ORMzdYRQJTgNBm80XkmyOjsmUUaXsLhTnkMHJsQLuV6HYiLP2