1 2 3 4 5
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 12:43 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

It's nice to know that a diesel conversion would have been possible had GM simply kept the cost accountants fingers out development.   
I had just assumed that it was a foolish idea in the first place.  

?  The 1988 K30 (V30) like mine came from the factory with either the 6.2 Diesel, 5.7 Gas, or 7.4 Gas engine.  Not sure what you mean.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/27/20 12:46 p.m.

Regarding the gasoline conversion to diesel, I'm sure engineers suggested bigger head studs / bolts. But at the time cost accountants ruled and if one didn't suggest it there were plenty of others eager to current favor with management and willing to overrule the engineers. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/27/20 12:49 p.m.

302 ford.

2.3 Lima 

any ford i6 

toyota 22r

D series Honda.

the Honda isn't from personal experience because my ownership was very short but I've seen friends abuse them for years. 

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/27/20 1:18 p.m.

Want to make a bunch of power on a well-supported platform?

GM LS

Honda K-series

BMW N5x

Ford Barra

Toyota JZ

Want a spine-tingling soundtrack?

Toyota 1LR-GUE

BMW S85

Aston Martin AJ37

Mazda 13B-REW

Ferrari F140

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/27/20 1:58 p.m.

I guess it depends on the criteria. If it's " does it's job better than anything by a wide margin" any list without the Ford 300 i6 is invalid.

I mean.....I really like the Ford cologne engines, the 4.0 OHV especially, but I don't think it's the top engine ever made even if I do really like it

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 3:42 p.m.

Has anyone mentioned Slant 6?  It should be on someone's list.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 3:42 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
frenchyd said:

It's nice to know that a diesel conversion would have been possible had GM simply kept the cost accountants fingers out development.   
I had just assumed that it was a foolish idea in the first place.  

?  The 1988 K30 (V30) like mine came from the factory with either the 6.2 Diesel, 5.7 Gas, or 7.4 Gas engine.  Not sure what you mean.

We were talking about the Olds 5.7 diesel in specific.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I think frenchyd is confused again and responding to me when he means you.  

chada75
chada75 Reader
9/27/20 11:53 p.m.

Automotive:

350 SBC

Toyota ZZ engine

Dodge Cummins 5.9 Diesel

VW Flat 4

BMW M 4 Cylinder

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/28/20 3:13 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I see a lot of love for SBC and BBC.  Undoubtedly great engines, but they haven't aged well.

Those of you who said BBC, care to share why?

A lot of people like them.  Brainwashed perhaps?  I found it interesting to read that Smokey Yunick HATED the MkIV.  He said that the early 1963 “Mystery Motor” was a winner but that GM took it and threw it to the bean counters who costed it out and gave us the 396 and later 427 in 1965.  Smokey said they’re way too heavy for the power they make and don’t have great BSFC.

Edit: I highly recommend his autobiography.  Best Damn Garage In Town.  Warning- 2/3 of it is an unreadable tome.  The last third though is pure gold.

I'm with you on that. So many of Big Block Chevy fans remember the days of gross or Advertised  horsepower numbers.  And ignore  reality. When they rated engines as they were actually installed suddenly that big 454 had only 230 SAE net horsepower. 
No it's not because of "smog". Equipment because the Mercruiser installed in boats  needed none of that. Mercruiser advertized  their 454 as making 310 horsepower.  While the 350 made 300 so for another 104 cu. in.  You got 10 more horsepower. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/28/20 3:25 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Tesla motors?

We're over 80 posts in and there's only been one mention of Tesla.  The Model S debuted in 2012 and nearly every automaker is still playing catch-up to go after the segment they've cornered.  Would there even exist any sub-3 second sedans and SUVs without them?  Their powertrains have moved the goal posts so far forward that even a Bugatti owner would sweat pulling up next to one at a stoplight. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/28/20 3:26 p.m.

Check out Tool and Dye Designs if you have a favorite.  NMNA

I've been on their email list for a while now.  Back when COVID was emerging the owner sent a marketing email asking for suggestions for engines.  I jokingly asked him to make a BMW M42 shirt (the engine from my E30 project) and a day later he sent me a mockup.  Even though I told him I'd likely be the only one to order one...A week later I was wearing that shirt.  

If you can't buy one of your favorites you can likely have a shirt/hoodie added to the catalog or custom made.

These are the engines I enjoy driving the most. I usually prefer torque over hp. 

Ford 460 for any time I want to move something big. Near 400 lb-ft of smooth silent torque at 2k rpms is wonderful to drive if you can afford 8 mpg on a good day. I'll take one over just about any diesel for a truck or RV engine. 

Cummins 12 valve 5.9 with the P pump if it has to be a diesel. Reliable as an anvil. Ridiculous fuel economy in a 4WD truck, or even a boat. 

Mazda Rotary for when you want your ears to bleed at 8k rpm. Yes, I know they have no torque. I do like to listen to them sing though. 

GM Gen 3 or Gen 4 V8 in almost any variety. They really do belong in everything. 

Olds 350. My first experience with a V8. I abused the E36 M3 out of it and it was always willing and ready for more. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/28/20 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

That's a line drawing, not a blueprint.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
9/28/20 4:51 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

GM LS V8

Mazda/Ford 2.0/2.3 MZR

AMC/Jeep 232/258/4.0 inline-6

Porsche Metzger flat-6

Honda J-series V6

I like this list, I would switch J with K though

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
9/28/20 5:28 p.m.

My list of engines is made up of those I have owned, worked or otherwise have influenced my thoughts about how engines should work.

Aircooled vw flat 4 - 1st engine I attempted to work on when I was 5.

Ford Lima 2.3 - I abused that thing for 20 yrs with nothing more than normal maitainance

SBC - my first v8

Ford 428CJ - my intro to mountains of torque

Acura/Honda J-series v6 - I loved this engine in my CL Type S

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/28/20 7:52 p.m.
nderwater said:
Justjim75 said:

Tesla motors?

We're over 80 posts in and there's only been one mention of Tesla.  The Model S debuted in 2012 and nearly every automaker is still playing catch-up to go after the segment they've cornered.  Would there even exist any sub-3 second sedans and SUVs without them?  Their powertrains have moved the goal posts so far forward that even a Bugatti owner would sweat pulling up next to one at a stoplight. 

Funny you should mention that. While driving home from work I was thinking of starting a thread along the lines of "Elon Musk - 21st century Carl Shelby/Enzo Ferrari?" or some such. Musk is like Steve Jobs in that he has an innate understanding of what people want. Pre-Tesla, EVs were boring. Now they are sexy and high-performance.  So while I generally find the best ICEs more rewarding to drive, it's hard not to appreciate the pure giggle-inducing acceleration of a dual-motor Tesla 3.

Also - and these are based on personal experience, not stuff I've read about:

13b, Mazda L, Honda J, most BMW 6s, air-cooled Porsche 6s.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/28/20 10:40 p.m.

Elon Musk = 20th century Howard Hughes.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/29/20 7:46 a.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

That's a line drawing, not a blueprint.

This is true. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/20 8:54 a.m.

This is fun:

Chrysler /6

Ford 300

GM Gen III V8

Honda FC20

Jeep 4.0

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/29/20 9:21 a.m.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/29/20 9:26 a.m.

Well that's kinda weird

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/29/20 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

That's the torque-iest 13b in existence 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
9/29/20 6:17 p.m.

General Electric CJ-610-6

Garrett TPE 331-151-1

Ford 300

Ford sho v6

Mercedes Benz 2.3 16v

In reply to pilotbraden :

If we are going to open it up to non car engines I would like to add the Detroit 12/71. That sound...

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yfb0poyAC45AirIBuLgOfTYzc0GJI6ziwvxB6ITpxjtbPykXaUTdzCAyuipzgnoC