1 2 3 4 5
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/21 9:06 a.m.
rslifkin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I am pretty sure that the Raptor demographic would be violently opposed to a hybrid Raptor.

I would think so, but people accepted one that doesn't make V8 noises.  So as long as they make it fast enough, people might go for it. 

It's not about fast, it's about "berkeley you".  In a nutshell.

If they were concerned about fast, they wouldn't be driving a truck.  It's not as if anything that tall ever gets anything put in the bed, anyway.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/3/21 9:16 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Not that I've heard of- everyone is happy with the 3.5l Turbo for it.  

IMHO (and this is an opinion), a hybrid Raptor is more likely than a 7.3 Raptor.

One other factor for the Raptor is that is has get to SULEV30, and the 7.3 does not in MD and HD vehicles.  

I am pretty sure that the Raptor demographic would be violently opposed to a hybrid Raptor.

The funny thing, to me, is that the racers would love a massive V8 to race with- Trophy trucks and huge V8's are a match made in heaven.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
4/3/21 10:05 a.m.

Anytime I see a Raptor on the road, the driver seems to be sane more often than not. The Coal Bros or the Bro/She Dozer drivers are the ones to look out for.

JimS
JimS Reader
4/3/21 12:26 p.m.

People do load stuff in tall trucks. We loaded stuff in my son's Raptor during a recent move. Used it many times to put things in storage. Not sure what year it is but it's a v8. 

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
4/3/21 1:48 p.m.
rslifkin said:
yupididit said:

So no hints at a 7.3 Raptor? 

That might require them to admit the 7.3 has performance potential and isn't just a big truck engine. 

They kind of have admitted it already, just not for new cars that have to meet emissions. 

Ford Performance teases "megazilla" crate engine

STM317
STM317 UberDork
4/3/21 8:23 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Not that I've heard of- everyone is happy with the 3.5l Turbo for it.  

IMHO (and this is an opinion), a hybrid Raptor is more likely than a 7.3 Raptor.

One other factor for the Raptor is that is has get to SULEV30, and the 7.3 does not in MD and HD vehicles.  

People said the same thing about putting a twin turbo v6 into a half ton truck. The new hybrid F150 makes 430hp and 570ft-lbs with the standard 3.5 ecoboost. Seems like they could probably put the 10spd hybrid trans behind the Raptor tuned 3.5 instead of the standard 3.5 and get enough of a power/torque bump to keep Raptor people happy. 

Jeep's selling a PHEV Wrangler and investing in trailhead chargers. I'd imagine Ford is watching the sales/marketing of that vehicle pretty closely. If Wrangler buyers are willing to shell out for the PHEV, then it's probably a good sign that Raptor (or Bronco) buyers won't totally shun a hybrid option. The bottom line is that as long as you're not lacking power, the "truck bro" demographic has shown to be more adaptable than people might think.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/3/21 9:52 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rslifkin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I would think so, but people accepted one that doesn't make V8 noises.  So as long as they make it fast enough, people might go for it. 

If they were concerned about fast, they wouldn't be driving a truck.  It's not as if anything that tall ever gets anything put in the bed, anyway.

This is probably true but these trucks are still damn fast. 
Scary fast. Like outperforms my sports car is almost every way. The TRX is even faster. Sheesh

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
4/5/21 11:27 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to asphalt_gundam :

Sounds like the way LS engines are - they have good port shapes and combustion efficiency, so they can make good power with tiny, emissions-friendly, dead-smooth cams.  So when you put performance cams in them, watch out!

When I drive this truck, it feels like a well masked old school high output big block. I bet if it didn't have the ability to advance the cam it would have a decently lumpy idle. The stock intake lift is like .540 with a 2.17" diameter valve, not a traditional factory spec. If you look up REVan Evan on you tube there is a great 3 video series where Wolfe goes over the 7.3 top to bottom. Worth a watch for sure. Then watch TFL pull a 16k trailer up the Ike with it. This engine should be fantastic grassroots fodder in the future. Jcamper

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/5/21 11:34 a.m.
Jcamper said:

I bet if it didn't have the ability to advance the cam it would have a decently lumpy idle. The stock intake lift is like .540 with a 2.17" diameter valve, not a traditional factory spec.

That high lift cam is probably part of why it doesn't have a lumpy idle.  Good flowing heads, big valves, and a high lift cam with fairly short duration and fast lift rates is a good way to make lots of torque, good power and a wide powerband in a smooth idling, docile engine.  The biggest challenge is keeping the valvetrain quiet and intact with fast lift rates, but it's definitely doable. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
4/5/21 9:14 p.m.
spandak said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rslifkin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Scary fast. Like outperforms my sports car is almost every way. The TRX is even faster. Sheesh

Ram isn't subtle either if the internet is to be believed:

TRX air box lid

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/6/21 8:57 a.m.
Schmidlap said:
rslifkin said:
yupididit said:

So no hints at a 7.3 Raptor? 

That might require them to admit the 7.3 has performance potential and isn't just a big truck engine. 

They kind of have admitted it already, just not for new cars that have to meet emissions. 

Ford Performance teases "megazilla" crate engine

Hmmm....I really like my '13. But if the 3.5 EB dies in the future, I wonder if a 7.3 Crate swap could be an option...

STM317
STM317 UberDork
4/6/21 9:19 a.m.
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/7/21 9:26 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

That is quite funny. I don't always love the way that Dodge/Ram go about things but they have the best sense of humor of the big 3.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/8/21 6:23 a.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to No Time :

That is quite funny. I don't always love the way that Dodge/Ram go about things but they have the best sense of humor of the big 3.

I also feel like they're the most likely to build something ridiculous, then point out that it's ridiculous to get people to buy it.  Instead of the more typical "build it once you're sure it'll sell"

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/21 7:54 a.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to No Time :

I love that Stellantis have a sense of humor and make some wild stuff, but they are running out of things to stuff a Demon engine into!  I used to like their 'Easter egg' images dotted around their vehicles, especially the Jeep's, but it's getting out of hand to the point it's just silly and tacky.  I sure as hell wouldn't want a freaking cartoon permanently displayed on my dash.

Side note, I do like that Ram have a decent rear suspension on their trucks with a proper four link and panhard instead of just leaf springs.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
4/8/21 8:17 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said: I sure as hell wouldn't want a freaking cartoon permanently displayed on my dash.

Worked for them (well, plymouth) with the Road Runner. People still love those things. Beep Beep.

Although I agree about them reaching the limits of good taste, that type of dick measuring is hard to take seriously. But, I guess, that's probably the point for a lot of people who buy that type of vehicle. I suspect a lower percentage of TRXs will get used off road than even Raptors do. Not an absolute in either case but there is always a percentage of buyers that buy solely for bragging rights, and I suspect (badly drawn) cartoons of a T-Rex eating a Raptor is right in their happy zone. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/8/21 10:01 a.m.

Back to the topic at hand. I want to put one of these in a 90s town car for a family hauler. I need to finish some projects and thin the fleet before that though. 

4/8/21 11:16 a.m.

Have I missed long block weights?  What does it come in at compared to a V10, 5.4 Mod motor, or the Super Fruity diesels?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/21 11:22 a.m.
No Time said:
spandak said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rslifkin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

TRX air box lid

I don't know what that is supposed to be, but it's probably not Jar-Jar Binks eating a fish like my brain seems to believe it is.

4/8/21 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

• Uh-oh! Biiiiiig Goober fish!
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/8/21 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

This article says 538 lbs vs 404 for a similarly outfit 5.0L Coyote. Not light, but likely not any different or maybe lighter than an iron block mod motor. 

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/watch-the-ford-7-3l-godzilla-dyno-pull-engine-weight-revealed#:~:text=It%20turns%20out%20the%207.3,engine%20at%20just%20404%20lbs.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/8/21 12:12 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
No Time said:
spandak said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rslifkin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

TRX air box lid

I don't know what that is supposed to be, but it's probably not Jar-Jar Binks eating a fish like my brain seems to believe it is.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/21 2:32 p.m.
slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
5/30/21 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yes please. Especially if it would fit in the back of a 2005 Ford GT. Also I'm going to need the winning lottery numbers for next week. lol

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/4/21 9:58 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Considering that has a 4 cam 5.4l (I think) I bet one of those custom 700+ cu in boat motors would fit. Turbo placement would be hard though. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ABpPwCruUDUK56jEgjxECTNxm6QavVnzIduHqNDAXbEIha1WkUYl74VRd2WtR9WJ