Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero New Reader
9/20/09 9:45 p.m.

Exploder squeak

Wifey's 1994 Exploder issues. Have you ever heard such a NOISE??? Shiiiieeee. . . . Replaced water pump, belt tensioner, p/s pump, idler puller and belt. I'm guessing it I need realign the accessory brackets better???

I spun them all by hand once I replaced everything. The P/S pump had resistance, but I was thinking it was like that based on the fact it has fluid in it.

One thing I forgot to mention (can't remember if I shot it in the video); if AC compressor cycles and squeaking almost goes away completely.

Also after replacing the water pump, there was no squeaking until about 5 minutes of it running to circulate the coolant

Any suggestions?

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
9/20/09 10:01 p.m.

So if the a/c compressor kicks on, the squeaking stops? If so it could be the compressor clutch bearings.

Use a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the noise. Carefull with it near the compressor clutch and alternator.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero New Reader
9/20/09 10:09 p.m.

In reply to xci_ed6:

Doesn't stop completely. It's very faint; it still squeaks once the rev come up.

Thanks for the suggestion!! I'll add it to my list of things to check in the morning.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero New Reader
9/21/09 12:07 p.m.

Think I found the problem . . .

Belt slip at the P/S pulley

I sprayed some water on the P/S pulley while it was running and squeaking went away. . . .

I pulled the belt it is ate the berkeley up . . . Duralast piece of crap . . .

Off to get a Gatorback.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero New Reader
9/21/09 1:20 p.m.

I cleaned the P/S pulley pretty good. I just put the gatorback belt on and all appears to be fine. If it starts squeaking again, I'll replace the pulley . . . Now off to do front wheel bearings . . .

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/09 3:20 p.m.

Bet it starts squeaking again. It's a Ford. My van started squeaking about 2001. Replaced the belt, a few months later it started again. Replaced the idler assembly, few months later it started again. Cleaned everything under the hood the belt touches. It always starts squeaking a few months later. Finely decided it must be powered by birds and gave up. Anything below about 2000rpm it chirps like a flock of Canaries(sp). About 25% of the ford trucks I know of have belt squeak. If you figure it out, let me know so I can try your fix on mine.

Edit: Changing the alternator didn't help either.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/09 4:19 p.m.

take a small amount of comet cleanser and apply it to the belt and pulley. The pulleys are likely glazed and the cleanser will rough it up without destroying the belt.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero New Reader
9/22/09 7:04 a.m.

Excellent idea JB . . . I'll try that went I get back from RA

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZqdbYVklBIr8tfzZJTPeTLESQQ7fZmi8ObZ58TO2p37tEO41fQraS62PGTlgMcnC