1 2 3
foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/12/10 5:12 a.m.

I bought an Audi fox once. Had it for a month, which was about 30 days too long.

Had a Ford 8N tractor. The two greatest days a person has with an N tractor is the day they bring it home, and the day it goes away.

Separate is the issue of cars that hated me, and that I hated back.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/10 8:06 a.m.

my P71 - i hate it. when i bought it the market was high on them and i paid a good price. now a year and a half later the bottom dropped out and i could not sell for $700 less than i paid, after putting around 1000 into it to get it up to snuff.

the turbo grand prix only because i had to sell my caddy to pay for it, now i have neither and i really miss the caddy.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
3/12/10 8:41 a.m.

nothing against e30's, but I had one that was a huge money pit. mainly because I underestimated the douchbaggery of the previous owner.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/12/10 9:58 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: Not so much sorry about *the* car I bought, but rather the *way* I bought it. When an NYG Neon Sedan went on eBay from Marietta, several people who saw it (knowing I had an NYG Coupe) contacted me. I'd had a few beers that evening, and put in what I felt sure was a low-ball, no-win bid, just so I could say I'd bid on the damn thing. With 7 cars in the yard already, I needed another one like a hole in the head. You know the rest of the story. 8 cars in the yard now, which is bad enough.. but 2 of *that* color? God help me.

By my estimation you now own 40% of the NYG Neons. In the summer of '95 I was a college intern at a Chrysler plant. I was talking with one of the corporate people one day and the conversation turned to options and features on the new Neon. He made a comment that NYG was offered to make to make things fun and appeal to youth like me, even though they didn't expect to sell many. Being the smart-ass I was, I told him that I was sure that the dealers would be able to sell all 5 ordered in that color.

kb58
kb58 Reader
3/12/10 10:01 a.m.

Yes, my 1995 Camaro Z28 (bought new.) Terribly unreliable, and became the poster child as for why I'll never buy GM again.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/10 10:24 a.m.

In 1985, I bought a new Chevy. It was such a piece of E36 M3, I haven't bought another GM vehicle since.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
3/12/10 10:25 a.m.

I regretted buying my '95 Cummins within 100 miles of owning it... and have pretty much continued with that regret for the last 3+ years...

More project-car oriented - my 2nd 1800ES... whoops... Ebay bit me again...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
3/12/10 10:44 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Only new car I ever bought: a Vega. I will leave the rest of that story to your fevered imaginations.

Word!

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/12/10 11:09 a.m.

My old 89 CRX Si.

I had paid $1300 for a nice 89 Civic Si, then decided i didn't like backseats and swapped it for a CRX. I love CRX's, but this one was a turd. Interior was beat, was noisy as hell, ad after owning it for a week it only push started. It also had over 300,000 miles.

So after 2 weeks of owning it i sold it for $400.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey New Reader
3/12/10 8:10 p.m.

I only tell the car I regret buying it to get it to give up whatever rusty part I'm working on at the time.

I'm all talk.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/12/10 8:14 p.m.

In reply to foxtrapper: My grand-father had a Ford 8N tractor that he never had much in the way of problems with.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
3/12/10 9:00 p.m.

+1. The g/f's parents have an 8N on their farm they don't do too much to it... plugs away every year...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/12/10 9:03 p.m.

1979 Pontiac Sunbird (H-body), Buick pushrod 3.8 with an automatic. Had some sort of Rochester 2bbl on it that seemed to require a rebuild every three months. My dad hated import cars, and I needed a domestic to drive from the house to wherever I had my British heaps (which were actually more reliable) hidden. It was three years old when I bought it. When the `71 Chevelle my aunt gave me died, I figured I'd like something newer with a/c for dates.

I discovered that most girls don't like pushing cars.

It was gone within 72hrs of my father's death. IIRC, it broke down again half-way to his funeral (we lived in Mississippi at the time, but he wanted to be buried in his hometown in Louisiana). I let the shop it was towed to have it for a song.

SHOspazz92
SHOspazz92 New Reader
3/13/10 5:57 a.m.

When I was stationed in Japan my first car over there (I went through many) was a 92 Skyline GTS-T. It had the Turbo RB20 (RB20DET), A 5 speed and it had 4 doors. It ran great for the first two months I had it...then... Went through Coil-Packs like no ones business and Coilpacks for a RB20 are not Cheap! Then the Cam sensor went, Then the trans started leaking...etc etc...

However, That car taught me how to drive....or more so how not to drive. I did more stupid stuff in that car that made me say "Well, I'm not doing that again". Fun car, But pretty Fragile.

-Sam

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/13/10 7:18 a.m.

Biggest regret I've had was Le Skunk, my gf's 88 CRX Si.

Here it is at the one and only autocross it's ever attended in the 2.5 years since she's owned it. It's been disabled for at least 2 of those years with one problem or another, and has logged maybe 1000 miles - 20 in the past year... It's just been one problem after another - distributor, suspension, engine replacement, clutch... She's got far more into the car than it's worth at this point, yet refuses to get rid of it so that maybe, just maybe, someday, she can actually get some use out of the investment. The longer it sits, the more things seem to go wrong.

My biggest regret on the matter is that it was partly upon my recommendation she got this car in the first place... I have snagged some legitimately good deals. This was NOT one of them.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/10 7:54 a.m.

Another Saab story here!

'93 9000 CSE that had a new head, valves, timing chain and clutch. I thought, what else could go wrong after all that was replaced? Well, I easily spent $3k in the next 18 months.

My wife will never let another Saab into the family.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/10 8:14 a.m.

I hated my 94 explorer. Things would ware out / brake and parts were so cheep and it was so simple I had no choice but to fix it. I so badly wanted to get another new car but no. The parts were always in stock at the local parts store and they were always very reasonably priced.

Thanks ford for making an easily fixed reasonably priced vehicle that can hall the entire family around, was great in the snow and not so bad at the pump.

How was I to get a new car? For some one with AUTOMOTIVE A.D.D., like me, this was torcher. I finally gave it away to a good friend. The thing is now a farm truck up in vermont now.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
3/13/10 2:04 p.m.

My SVT Contour... Need I explain more?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
3/14/10 10:01 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: Long story short.. almost two years ago I bought a 94 Saab NG900.. I have NEVER had a car fight me as much as this saab. This coming from a guy who drive Fiats for 10 years. I also had to replace the radio as that died as well soon after I bought the car. I am having the starter rebuilt, and if this does not do it, I am seriously beginning to entertain the throughts of parting this car out.

I tried to send a PM, but I don't think that it went through successfully , If you realy give up on this one contact me before yoy start parting it out. Thanx

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
3/14/10 10:28 a.m.

I regret a free saab I got recently. Not because it did anything evil. Despite it's free price, I never really got to do much with it other than let it idle in my driveway. Rear brake lines were bad, so a road test was out of the question. Didn't really have time for it. Ended up giving it to a friend to fix up for a elderly guy in his parish. I'm happy it went to a good home. I just regret not having enough time for it, especially since I only got to drive on and off the trailer.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
3/15/10 11:23 a.m.

I have owned a bit over 40 cars and dont think ive ever regretted buying one.. I HAVE regretted selling them, on occasion. There's probably 5 cars i have real regrets about letting go. I currently have 9 or 10 and like them all.. I know that i want to have less cars, but i cant bring myself to part with any for what id get out of them right now..

cwh
cwh SuperDork
3/15/10 12:08 p.m.

Only one I really hated was an 80's VW Quantum. Soeme sort of Audi. It was impossible to keep all four wheels aligned. Went through fuel pumps constantly. At least they were easy to get to. Finally gave it to my wife's daughter with the instruction to NOT call me when something broke. That lasted two weeks. She finally totalled it. I have given her three cars. She has wrecked every one. She now lives in Idaho, so no more car problems from her.

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
3/15/10 11:12 p.m.

I don't think I regretted buying the 944. It wasn't the right car for me at that time. However it still gave me plenty of good memories. It also showed me how quickly car bills can rack up!

4eyes
4eyes Reader
3/16/10 1:35 a.m.

"88 Dodge Dakota My second new car/truck. The rearend locked-up two weeks after I bought it, the ECU hickuped for ten thousand miles (but not when the dealership mechanic drove it ) and died 2000 miles after the warantee.

7pilot
7pilot New Reader
3/16/10 4:36 a.m.

The first car I regretted buying was 1975 Chev Monte Carlo. Big sloppy heap of steel and glass. The fuel pump died after a week of ownership. The shop had it for 2 weeks, I got rid of it 2 weeks later.

The Biggest regrettable buy was a new RX7 GSL-SE. Black/gray with the brown glass. The only Far Eastern car I have ever owned. I almost want that part of my life back I had a severely injured back just before I bought it. It was the most uncomfortable car I ever owned. I kept it for 5 years, but Had to buy a 78 rabbit to actually use. The Rabbit was more fun, especially with massive ADDCO sway bars and A008 Yokos. Got rid of the RX7 and got a 16v GTI....Much better,more comfort, (back started to heal better), more personality.

m

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tVpJggOBCzwmytjVlFQdDeKr9qwKTjycXMg0xny1sely3jfFBc39HXg78AbbfaLm