1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/13/22 7:59 a.m.
feature_image

How about a racing class for inexpensive, common cars that can be found at or near the bottom of their depreciation curves? That’s the idea behind C-Spec, a road racing class being bandied about online.

• The Cars: This class would welcome naturally aspirated C-segment cars built about a decade ago–think pedestrian versions of the VW Jetta, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai …

Read the rest of the story

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/13/22 8:33 a.m.

That's basically mini stock class, sometimes called pure stock.

The car in the pic is not eligible for C-spec

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/13/22 8:52 a.m.

These seem less likely to end up on their roof than B-Spec cars.

David S. Wallens
10/13/22 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Kinda like mini stock. Almost like B Spec +.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/13/22 9:29 a.m.

I'm waiting for CUV-spec.  Bring on the lowered HRVs, CX-30's, and Rav4s!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/13/22 9:31 a.m.

I still think this would have been a great series 10 years ago when all the 90s E36 M3boxes were readily available.  Pretty much every manufacturer made a ~2400lb, 130ish hp mcStrut car (excluding Honda).  And I think all but Dodge were 4x100

David S. Wallens
10/13/22 9:33 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I'm waiting for CUV-spec.  Bring on the lowered HRVs, CX-30's, and Rav4s!

That would be cool. But finding those cars with manual boxes would be tough. Or do we not care? 

David S. Wallens
10/13/22 9:34 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I still think this would have been a great series 10 years ago when all the 90s E36 M3boxes were readily available.  Pretty much every manufacturer made a ~2400lb, 130ish hp mcStrut car (excluding Honda).  And I think all but Dodge were 4x100

Well, we did have Showroom Stock B and C back then. Anyone else remember trunk kits? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/13/22 9:57 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
ProDarwin said:

Well, we did have Showroom Stock B and C back then. Anyone else remember trunk kits? 

You are thinking of when those cars were new.  Yeah, I dont want to pay $16k + prep costs to go race a stock Saturn lol. 

I'm saying when they were nearly fully depreciated yet still readily available... would've been a fun field.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/13/22 9:57 a.m.

I'd build a first gen Forte.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/13/22 10:11 a.m.

it's really impressive what Frank Schwartz has done with B-Spec over the last few years. He's basically given the class a second life (or maybe even a first life) and fields are bigger now than they've ever been previously. So I dig the idea of expanding the concept to additional crapboxes. I think the biggest difficulty here is going to be finding enough manual-transmissioned cars to fill fields. Of that list, I see four cars—Jetta, Civic, Cruze and Mazda 3—that  are probably th emost likely candidates for finding manual versions of. The rest could be rare and precious.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/22 11:12 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

These seem less likely to end up on their roof than B-Spec cars.

Since at this point most of them are like this:

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/22 1:30 p.m.

Now I'm thinking about racing a 3rd gen Ford Focus sedan... I must be crazy

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/13/22 1:37 p.m.

fiestafrank
fiestafrank New Reader
10/13/22 2:16 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Also with FC (up 135% in 18 months) H Production (advisor to the team that have fueled their growth) and I tried to help IT, but was not considered an expert and turned away.  This comment is not from some inflated sense of self importance, but to say clearly, it is possible with ANY CLASS and ANY SANCTIONING BODY and everything I have done is documented and available via video.  If I can do it, anyone can.  I am totally cool with people copying the tricks, processes and steps elsewhere.

fiestafrank
fiestafrank New Reader
10/13/22 2:21 p.m.

A quick comment to all the naysayers who say there are already too many classes.  You are absolutely right with one caveat, we have too many classes for the amount of drivers we have today.  But really, instead of spending time destroying classes because of low turnout, why dont we work together to bring more people to the table?  The biggest part of BSpec's original growth was bringing people to the racetrack that did not have licenses.  And while yes, we robbed a few people from other classes, the second biggest group of growth came from people who raced, were disillusioned and left, and we brought them back.  I still bring around 5 people a year to get licenses by myself, and if everyone brought one person we wouldn't have the majority of issues people complain about.

fiestafrank
fiestafrank New Reader
10/13/22 2:30 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Here is the depreciation curve I used to develop the proposal.

davbro
davbro Reader
10/13/22 3:41 p.m.

Would it not be ok (fun) to race an automatic crapbox? I was thinking of doing a low budget build of a 2.5 golf so that friends and family who are not car enthusiasts and may not be able to or comfortable driving a manual to experience driving on a race track.  My first ever trackday was in a 3 speed auto neon and I had a blast. I hope they het this series going...because as someone posted earlier its not about attracting racers to a new series its to get new people into racing...increasing the number

jwickert3
jwickert3
10/13/22 4:20 p.m.

In reply to davbro :

If the auto trans can handle the heat and stress it could work.  You'd want an auto that allows for paddle shifting otherwise tuning to get to the full rpm range may be difficult.  In B-Spec, so far, auto transmissions haven't been competitive. 

jwickert3
jwickert3 New Reader
10/13/22 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

The car pictured, a Chevy Cruze, is currently being considered for C-Spec.  As long as we can get it to a good BOP it will be a great option. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/13/22 5:07 p.m.

Sure, but the car pictured is a Cruze RS which is turbocharged and not eligible

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/22 5:35 p.m.

The lack of new vehicles available with a manual transmission means that we're about a decade away from spec GTI being the last fwd, manual transmission, internal combustion engine class. (I'm okay with the electrification portion coming, but the loss of the other two aspects will definitely sting). 

78CobraII
78CobraII New Reader
10/14/22 3:51 a.m.

Sounds like fun to me. I already Autocross a 2007 Civic Dx (1.8L, 5MT) in H Street where I'm pretty much uncompetitive due to the newer turbo cars. It would be nice to have a group to track it with.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 8:57 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Improved Touring, no?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/14/22 9:14 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
ProDarwin said:

Improved Touring, no?

IT was (is?) cool for sure.  But in my limited understanding its a lot different than Spec.  in that the ruleset is more open than a spec series, and its broken into like 7 different classes.  Although I suppose most of the E36 M3boxes I am referring to fall into ITA?  Even then its a weird mix in there, I think Miatas and RX7s can end up alongside them as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sXh0a8DNihofhB5xKUyvlNrxUzJ9y3ego6d5wittL17GraWVyMwkEeNZUJfoo7Vf