1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/20/21 10:26 a.m.
feature_image

Before the retractable hardtop variations of the NC (PRHT) and ND (RF) Miatas, Mazda actually built a limited run of fixed hardtop NB Miatas called the Roadster Coupe.

If you have never seen one before, we won’t blame you, as only 179 are said to have been built, and they were all sold exclusively in Japan.

The result of Mazda’s …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
7/20/21 10:27 a.m.

If anyone is interested, I can share the full spec sheet from Mazda.

As for my pick, I'd go with the Type S, with the Type A running a close second.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/20/21 10:40 a.m.

Years ago, I sat in one at Tokyo Auto Salon. It felt like a little Aston Martin. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/20/21 10:49 a.m.

If I were a billionaire, I'd take a type S over grazing space. 

David S. Wallens
7/20/21 11:02 a.m.

Also, did the coupe exist in an early Gran Turismo? I want to say that I drove the car there. Or maybe I dreamed it? 

calteg
calteg Dork
7/20/21 11:03 a.m.

I didn't realize they built that many. I saw one at an auto show years and years ago, I thought it was a prototype or one-off

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/21 11:16 a.m.

There was a prototype one-off in 1996 called the M Coupe. It was yellow and based on an NA (of course). I've tried to get Mazda to hand it over for safekeeping in the spotlight instead of storage in the basement, but no luck so far. I think it was a better looking car than the NB coupes personally, but it was hand-built.

Apparently you can only get replacement body parts if you provide a VIN, so don't get any ideas about building a replica :(

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/20/21 11:24 a.m.

I'd go for the Type S, be happy with the Type A. I prefer coupes over roadsters. Lost my interest due to the auto only in the Type E. 

I wonder how the weight compares to the roadsters. I also wonder about the difference in handling due to the increased torsional rigidity.

Colin Wood
7/20/21 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

According to the spec sheet, the Roadster Coupe only weighs about 10 kg (roughly 22 lbs.) more than the convertible.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/21 12:06 p.m.

Love it!

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/21 12:09 p.m.

Too bad we can't buy the sheet metal roof stampings from Mazda to build more stateside...

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/20/21 2:20 p.m.

Last one in red with 1.8/6 Speed please. I'll take my number from the deli counter and wait in line.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
7/20/21 2:29 p.m.

I love the Miata idea but will never own a convertible.

If they sold these in North America I'd probably own one.

David S. Wallens
7/20/21 2:36 p.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Waiting there right with you--one of those and half a pound of Swiss cheese, please. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/20/21 4:11 p.m.

Nice!

I am not a convertible guy either but the hardtop would have could have been interesting.

I remember swooning over these when they were new in Japan. Instead I had to wait another decade for an FR-S, which hasn't been a bad thing. 
I'd still love one of these, though. Make my Roadster Coupe a Type A, please.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/20/21 4:44 p.m.

What's not to love? Although I'd still take the never-made V6 RX-8 over one. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/20/21 7:31 p.m.

The NB is definitely the best looking miata in my eyes, and I've never been very interested in convertibles. This car, I would do bad things for this car.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/20/21 8:11 p.m.

I hate it, because it did not make production 

Keith Tanner
7/20/21 8:38 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

I hate it, because it did not make production 

It did. You just weren't living in the right country. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/21 8:36 a.m.

The Type A add-ons look kinda goofy in the bottom picture (the yellow one) but they look great in the lead picture.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
7/21/21 9:40 a.m.

I'll take the chef's special. As in, surprise me! Since I tent to leave the hard top on my NB anyways (and did the same with my NAs). Heck, if I had a hard top for my ND, it would likely stay on the car, though I love how nicely that top goes up and down...

if forced to choose, I'll take the yellow one, because yellow, and against my dislike for the way that the front flare doesn't connect nicely at the bottom.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/21/21 10:42 a.m.

Strong FD RX-7 vibes- just beautiful lines on that car.  I'll take a number at the deli counter too.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/21 11:11 a.m.

This would be great with a Hatchback like the old Honda CRX's had.  

Lots of usable space for travel in the back - At least if you don't have kids since its a two seater...

Keith Tanner
7/21/21 2:10 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

As the owner of an old CRX - it wouldn't be a terribly big space because someone put a double wishbone suspension and a fuel tank behind the seats :)

I personally prefer the '96 show car to the NB production car, but some of that is due to the unfortunate styling trends of the mid-00s. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bv9tfhcySE4DkqVyRQevc9JvVLchR36MSXzsjCH9jaCzFHP3MgBFKqS5gjfYCd8p