Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/29/20 9:25 a.m.
feature_image

We needed a Mustang.

Initially, we weren’t too fussy regarding the year and body style. We kept our options open but with one rule: no rust. 

An early Mustang fastback in even deplorable condition is worth at least $10,000 these days. A coupe in the same shape is worth less than half that figure. 

We found a car that seemed …

Read the rest of the story

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/29/20 12:27 p.m.

So you bought a racing 1968 Mustang for $2500, decided that it did not meet your needs and sold for $4000 and kept the wheels.  (Minus tags, taxes, auction charges ect, ect, ect)  

Whatcha getting next?  laugh

And aren't you guys racing a vintage Mustang already?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/29/20 1:25 p.m.

Engine not blue enough.

350z247
350z247 New Reader
1/22/21 8:13 a.m.

Not a bad turn around.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/22/21 10:00 a.m.

This is why I like the Mustang project; I would have put this car together because it could be done cheaply and simply ran in whatever class HSR or other vintage race club put the car into. I suspect I could have put this car on track for 7-10K. It would be woefully uncompetitive but it would be loads of fun.

By contrast the whole point of this was to build a competitive car and this car needed a lot of work to undo things, so I get why it was sold on.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/27/21 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Yeah, the green Mustang did look good at first--and I admit that I'm a sucker for a black hood. But the more that Tim looked at it, it needed too much. The white car is going to be cool, and look for more updates very soon. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/27/21 11:01 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This is the catch 22 of working to a rule set versus just simply wanting to put a car, any car, on track.

While I have 0 interest in ever running this type of car I am really enjoying the project. I said it in the beginning I'm very keen to see what the final cost will be.

For those of us vintage racing on not much more than challenge money it's fascinating to see what things actually cost.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gc75chjK24vCJK8xA6rIeVUI1tNGlIGl8KeJWHCthlfwSwnW2dhxgDETZCiPbdiz