1 2 3
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/11 8:55 p.m.

I hadn't until I read an article in Florida Trend earlier today. I then found this article online, written by friend of GRM, Steven Cole Smith. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, materializes out of this effort. No mention of the funding source supporting the effort thus far.

Rockledge team plans gas-sipping Avera

Steven Cole Smith

May 29, 2010

ROCKLEDGE – R. J. Scaringe has spent years declining to discuss his new automotive company, Avera Motors, and now that it's finally time to talk, he can barely stop. But does not want Avera to be one of those new car companies that throws a big news conference, shows a sketch of a new vehicle, announces grand plans for a factory and marketing, then is never heard from again.

Scaringe declines to make promises he can't keep.

That you haven't heard of Avera — a blend of "America," and "verde," as in green, and "terra," meaning earth — likely leads you to think that the company isn't that far along with plans to build a new sports coupe here in Central Florida.

You would be wrong. Scaringe, 27, president and chief executive officer of Avera, has quietly hired about 15 engineers who have worked for companies such as Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Mercedes-Benz and Roush Industries. They have already designed the car's exterior, interior, suspension and powertrain, and they have a full-sized clay model of the car in the studio — which I was allowed to see but not photograph. It looks sort of like a new Mitsubishi Eclipse, but smaller.

Scaringe says the car will be fun to drive, carry four people, and according to the company's fledgling Web site, get twice the mileage of today's hybrids. That's the only claim I heard during my visit to the company that I question because double a Toyota Prius would be close to 100 miles per gallon.

The Avera will likely be a diesel hybrid. The car will be mid-engined — meaning the engine is right behind the rear seat — and rear-wheel-drive, regarded as the optimum drivetrain configuration for performance and handling by companies such as Ferrari and Lamborghini. The basic platform would be "flexible," Scaringe says, meaning that once the Avera sports coupe is under way, the platform could support, say, a two-seat convertible, a small SUV or any number of vehicles.

Price? Around $25,000.

It is not lost on anyone in the automotive business, much less Scaringe, that the industry has not been kind to those looking to outdo the major car companies. Malcolm Bricklin, John Delorean, Preston Tucker and a long list of entrepreneurs would confirm that. So why should we take Scaringe seriously?

There are several reasons, perhaps the central one being that he is the son of Robert P. Scaringe, who founded Mainstream Engineering in Rockledge in 1986, on an eight-acre campus with 110 employees. Mainstream is a pioneer in the development and manufacturing of thermal control and energy conversion products.

From Mainstream's press materials: "Mainstream designed and built the lightest diesel generator in the world, a vapor compression refrigeration system that is onboard the International Space Station, and the world's first magnetic-bearing centrifugal compressor chiller." Both father and son have a PhD in engineering, with R.J.'s from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Presently, Avera Motors is in one of the nondescript buildings on Mainstream's property. By the end of the year, Scaringe hope to have a running prototype of the car. By 2011, the Avera will likely be displayed at national auto shows. By 2012, Scaringe says we could see Averas on the road.

And, he says, he'd like to build them in Florida. Several legislators on the Space Coast have high hopes that the Avera factory, which could employ more than 1,000, could be built there, likely seeing it as a partial solution to the jobs NASA is shedding. But other states such as Alabama, Kentucky, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee are used to throwing millions in cash and considerations to attract auto factories, and Florida must step up if it wants to keep the Avera.

What leads R. J. Scaringe to think he can succeed where others have failed?

"The most critical aspect is putting together the right team," he says. "The right business model is important, but the right team is also extremely important."

And with the cutbacks in the auto industry, "There's never been a better time to go out and find the best team possible.

"We're not going for a particularly high-end super car, we're going for a part of the market that we feel is very strong,'' he said. "So as long as we can execute — and having the right team will allow us to do that — I think we'll be successful."

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/2/11 9:00 p.m.

Green's fine as long as it has enough power and handling to be fun.

But Green's not the reason to buy a car.

kb58
kb58 Reader
2/2/11 9:02 p.m.

Sounds like a fictitious airline that lost a plane over a strange island...

TuffWork
TuffWork Reader
2/2/11 9:16 p.m.

We shall see if they keep the avera motors name as well. I heard they were gonna change names due to a trademark dispute with Hyundai.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
2/2/11 9:34 p.m.

Avera in Hebrew means sin. not exactly the connotation one wants for a "green" car

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
2/2/11 9:45 p.m.

I was under the impression that emissions regulations had in effect placed a strangle-hold on diesel powered automobile import/production ?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/11 9:55 p.m.

Holy cow! I went to middle school and Junior High in Rockledge! That's a pretty neat deal.

dyintorace
2/2/11 9:59 p.m.
TuffWork wrote: We shall see if they keep the avera motors name as well. I heard they were gonna change names due to a trademark dispute with Hyundai.

Already gone. This is the message on their website:

Due to the recent trademark infringement dispute with Hyundai Motor America, we will no longer use the name Avera Motors Inc. We plan to announce our new name and launch our new website shortly. To contact us, please email Team@mainstreammotors.com.

The URL redirects to www.mainstreetmotors.com, but no site there, just the message above.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
2/2/11 10:12 p.m.
internetautomart wrote: Avera in Hebrew means sin. not exactly the connotation one wants for a "green" car

Actually, it might be exactly what one needs to associate with a green car.

Right now, the people who go green are "weenies". Some manufacturer needs to inject some honest testosterone into a hybrid and get it accepted by Joe America as a legit means of transportation.

We need the Harley Davidson of green cars. Something "decent people" won't associate themselves with.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/11 11:44 p.m.

I like the shape under that cover...

and I agree.. once the electric/hybrid cars get over the no fun/green image and get more mainstream with some fun.. people besides the Pius will buy them

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/3/11 11:03 a.m.

For a short time about 14 years ago, I actually worked at Mainstream Engineering for Bob Scaringe. I can't say that I liked him very much as a person, but I had to respect his engineering ability. Very much the mad scientist type.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/11 11:08 a.m.

the world needs more mad scientists... minus the dead body parts brought back to life

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/3/11 11:15 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: the world needs more mad scientists... with double the dead Miata parts brought back to life

Fixed that for ya!

TuffWork
TuffWork Reader
2/3/11 11:35 a.m.

Me likey the shape under that cover too. Looks like someone decided to give the mazda 3 a stretch and added 20 million cool points. I don't know, though, alot of the cars I like the look of at first I end up hating after I see em for a while.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/3/11 12:21 p.m.

Good luck.

But 25k/car means roughly 100k cars/annually out of a plant.

That's a big plant.

especially when you hide the billions it will take to invent a new powertrain.

Not impossible by any means. But.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/11 10:16 p.m.

I like where this is going. I'm not sure if it will take off, but I like that there is someone out there with the attachments to try and make a hybrid that isn't either a F1 car (literally) or a boring little funny shaped snobmobile (Prius), that actually stands a chance of looking good, handling decently, and actually gives you decent value for money.

the only potential problem I see with this is the same thing detractors of the Prius cite: environmental damage from actually making the battery packs. now if they went with a lithium-based battery (LiPo? LiFe? Li-Ion? just some examples) they could get similar capacity and voltage out of a smaller, lighter package, but I'm not sure that they can do that and still meet the $25K/car projected price

joejohnson
joejohnson
2/9/11 2:57 p.m.

Avera Motors is a company trying to build a car and sell the company to to a big Auto maker like GENERAL MOTORS (GM), FORD, CHRYSLER, HONDA or NISSAN eventually.

They have one small concept (NOT a BEV or PHEV, it is a light weight car) for 1 vehicle (every Automotive Engineer would have one) backed up by dad's funds and local space coast/NASA funds with Republican influence.

They have fooled the local clowns and got few million dollars already....whose money is that? Must be Tax Payer's money. They say (LIE) there are 1000 potential jobs. There are totally 11 employees in the company as I have heard, and they have been around for almost 2 years now. Bunch of young kids trying to fool the Government and make some QUICK money.

My store employs 10 people. May be I should ask for Space coast loan or a GOVERNMENT (Department of Energy) loan.

Don't waste your time thinking about this or hoping to get a job there. There isn't any!

By 2013 you will have lot more dependable cars from GM, Ford, Chrysler, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota for under $20k and get more than 40-50 mpg. Why bother about this anyways???? They claimed 80 mpg and now saying 60 mpg. Wait till they make a real prototype with their own engine...it will come to 45 mpg for an unheard of junk after paying $28k. (If they can fool the Government and get TAX PAYER's MONEY) What will you choose to buy?

dyintorace
2/9/11 3:13 p.m.

Yikes. Angry?

Not to say your prognostication might not come true, but it could be conveyed without quite so much vitriol.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/9/11 3:16 p.m.

Funny. I'm from there and my father works at NASA. I can guarantee you NASA didn't give them any money, they don't have any themselves! Also, not to be an ass, but GM and Chrysler both had to be bailed out totally by the US tax payer, and Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, and BMW all accepted sweetheart loans from their respective governments, which are funded by, well, you know...

joejohnson
joejohnson New Reader
2/11/11 8:17 a.m.

Well, somebody from the space coast gave them money to build a dummy vehicle (outside body from new design to impress the investors) and stripped parts from an existing BMW vehicle. I am sure the local politicians get a cut in that!

No one spends their own money before a project can fly. It is local space coast funding and now they are expecting Goivernment funding. Big companies like GM, Chrysler had to go through bankrupcy; if Government gives them money, I am asking the Government too..:-)

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/11/11 9:17 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Funny. I'm from there and my father works at NASA. I can guarantee you NASA didn't give them any money, they don't have any themselves! Also, not to be an ass, but GM and Chrysler both had to be bailed out totally by the US tax payer, and Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, and BMW all accepted sweetheart loans from their respective governments, which are funded by, well, you know...

We did? When was that? I recall getting massive loans from large banks, though....

As for this- if the goal is to be bought by a car company- that's not going to happen. Too many reasons why, but currenty, everyone is looking out for themselves (except for some companies in Asia), that it's not going happen.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/11/11 9:33 a.m.

I sort of have to question someone's motive for signing up just to bad mouth a small company. It's unlikely that joejohnson has been a long time GRM reader and just happened to find this thread so compelling that he had to sign up and vent. It's more likely that he's somehow involved in the competition or something and has a saved search for anything involving Avera Motors and found this thread that way.

joejohnson
joejohnson New Reader
2/11/11 10:05 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

They 11 employees they have might be good young guys; but young guys without experience will only get burnt, unlike the TECH Industry where you have the Googles and Facebooks.

For this venture by young college graduates, are you okay that Space Coast donates millions of dollars of money that could be used elsewhere(not loans) and Government gives funding?

You must be working there waiting for your big paycheck soon?..... No bad mouthing guys....just want to make sure that money is given to who deserves it!

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/11/11 10:12 a.m.

Yeah, I'm obviously working for Avera, since I've been a member of this message board for years and live 3,000 miles from them. It's obvious you're "astroturfing" for something, the question is what? Who do you work for? Who is paying you to make these posts?

I'm a commercial real estate investor in Ohio, and have absolutely no connection to Avera, their competition, or their industry in any way, shape, or form. I'm betting you can't make that claim.

joejohnson
joejohnson New Reader
2/11/11 10:20 a.m.

I live in Cape Caneveral, FL and own a business here (non Automotive). I hate it when local poloticians throw away money when there are so many jobless people in this area.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/jun/28/space-florida-invests-in-avera-motors-energy-car/?partner=RSS

These guys don't know what they are doing and I would like money going elsewhere. This $500k prototype is nothing but a exterior of their design and all other parts from a BMW stripped down as I hear....it was done in Detroit and not in Florida...sir! $500k to use existing car parts? really? You guys work on car projects right?

I am sure real estate is picking up now in Ohio and you will do well soon!

Cheers

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OXJx4ngz8mZ9jxVoB3z1wYFSc9FmESr6qnwXFYQxgyoGKoAWn1Usv7IvSEu9mA9v